Opinions of the Epic

azbaby8062

We loved the EPIC.

Yes the shower room set up is not the best  but don't  let it bother you too much as it is only a small part.

The entertainment on the EPIC was the best we had ever been on  (this was our first NCL cruise as we have always been on RCI but we would definetely go back with NCL)

There was so much variety of entertainment for us to choose from every night - much more variety than RCI for us but that is just our opinion but we always had some much fun everynight.

There are a variety of food options which are great

The service was great also

So we had NO complaints on this ship

We would travel on EPIC again... however when we went to book for this year (prior to covid 19) it was the same shows that we had seen 2 years ago so that was the only reason we went with RCI to book as i like different shows. The crusie ports were the same but that doesnt bother us.

It has already been mentioned that the sink is outside the curtained bath area, and yes, this is an advantage.  One can brush while the other showers or uses the facilities.

The bathroom and toilet glass is semi see through.  Some are ok with this, some are not ok.  It depends on how modest you are.  Someone mentioned the curtain- yes it does help.  But what happens when your spouse is outside and coming in?  When the cabin door opens, the curtain will not help one bit.  You'll be visible to the hallway.  So, the Epic bathroom+curtain is not the same as every other cruise ship.

We did sail on Epic knowing all this beforehand, as we were warned.  The dates and itinerary were too good for us to pass up.  We came up with a system to not exit or enter the cabin door when the other is using the facilities.  It's really too bad- all they had to do was use opaque glass and that would fixed it    😀

For what it is worth, we will avoid Epic going forward.  There's no single answer for everyone.

image.png.373cee680fa634ba26f972d3f10a3f40.png

Edited by mpk

7 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I only mentioned days and cruises because I was being schooled on how things work on ships. I don't need education on that subject. 

Actually no,  you started your first post with the proclamation.     Post 19.   

11 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Not on the other 84 cruises we've been on.   Maybe we spent 1200 days missing them.

So do I go to the spa to watch TV?

Every balcony cabin I have been in and all inside cabins (added together are the majority of cabins on all ships on all cruise lines), you watch TV in bed.  Even in suites, I mostly watch TV in bed even though there is a living room.  Why book a spa suite if you don't want a hot tub in the room?  You should have booked a penthouse suite and then bought your own spa pass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Every balcony cabin I have been in and all inside cabins (added together are the majority of cabins on all ships on all cruise lines), you watch TV in bed.  Even in suites, I mostly watch TV in bed even though there is a living room.  Why book a spa suite if you don't want a hot tub in the room?  You should have booked a penthouse suite and then bought your own spa pass.

Good grief, dude. I am entitled to my opinion. 

Never said I didn't want a hot tub, don't misquote me. Could care less where YOU watch TV, I wanted to sit in the chair shown on the floor plan. Normally I sit on the sofa to watch. 

30+ ships, all have a positive review from me. 1 I really disliked (Epic). 

Sorry I offended you, your ship, or your cruise line. 

We were on the Epic in 2010 with friends.  It was a brand new ship then.   The worse cruise ship we were ever on.  We were in a Balcony cabin.  The cabin was small,  the shower was small,  the toilet area was small,  the sink in the room was small.  If you're traveling with other people,  hope they don't knock on your door when you're sitting on the toilet.  Who thought putting the entrance door to the cabin in the middle of the "bathroom" was a good idea?   Also, certain set ups of the cabin are horrible.   Our friend's cabin was opposite ours.  She said when her husband got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom,  the toilet was right next to her head.  They said the same,  never again.  I know it doesn't bother some people,  but I would never go on that ship again. 

On 7/10/2020 at 1:26 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Don't let it ruin your vacation yet there are concerns for those who don't have suites.

1)  Sink/vanity is outside the dividing curtain

2)  In some staterooms, the sink is literally right next to a bed (middle of the night issue)

3)  The dividing curtain isn't opaque (another middle of the night issue)

Check your stateroom, you want this layout:

image.png.433b444aa21d94c5170179e38fefb71e.png

NOT this layout:

image.png.ab5910cb699d93de0a9fa3f3a8e4138b.png

Actually I would prefer the bottom layout. When we were on the Epic we had 4 in our balcony room - my husband & myself, my mom & my 16 yr old son. We had a room similar to the top photo & when we used the sink it splashed the bottom of the bed. Also my mom used a rollater & it was hard for her to get out to the balcony.

My other 2 sons & brother had the adjoining room & the couch was next to the bathroom & they had so much more room to move around.

Also if your son is tall the beds do pull out away from the wall.

We all loved the Epic no issues with the bathroom set up it actually worked better for us

Edited by JoeTec
Added comments

19 hours ago, ECCruise said:

85 cruises on 8 lines on 7 continents. Only one was a bummer.  Guess which?

Absolutely hated the Epic . . . 

I wish you'd had a better experience.  The love/hate relationship with Norwegian Epic has been going on since Day 1.  It's not for everyone, obviously.

I will be returning to Epic next February [hopefully] for my 15th sailing on that ship, and I look forward to it.  It offers me pretty much everything I need/want for an enjoyable time at sea.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DGP1111 said:

I wish you'd had a better experience.  The love/hate relationship with Norwegian Epic has been going on since Day 1.  It's not for everyone, obviously.

I will be returning to Epic next February [hopefully] for my 15th sailing on that ship, and I look forward to it.  It offers me pretty much everything I need/want for an enjoyable time at sea.

Yes, that is why there is so much variety in lines/ships/etc., so everyone can find a niche they enjoy (and Epic is obviously one for you, which is great).

We knew about the love/hate for Epic long before we booked it (have been sailing NCL since 1998) but figured we would give it a try, even though we largely dislike large ships.

Like I said, the Haven access was great.  Wonderful crew/food/service there.  The rest of the ship just didn't ring our bell.

• Like 1

Epic was my least favorite ship of all my cruises, the bathroom situation has already been discussed.  There are other issues with the ship.  Who knows how things will be when things resume but some issues are crowding, the need to make reservations for everything including shows and tenders and lines at nearly every venue.  Dozens in line all the time at every bar on the lido deck.  I did discover some work-arounds yet each was a sacrifice.  If you want a drink while at the pool, simply go to a bar on a different deck.  If you didn't make reservations to a show, show up 5mins after it starts, I had no trouble finding two open seats to anything.

30 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Epic was my least favorite ship of all my cruises, the bathroom situation has already been discussed.  There are other issues with the ship.  Who knows how things will be when things resume but some issues are crowding, the need to make reservations for everything including shows and tenders and lines at nearly every venue.  Dozens in line all the time at every bar on the lido deck.  I did discover some work-arounds yet each was a sacrifice.  If you want a drink while at the pool, simply go to a bar on a different deck.  If you didn't make reservations to a show, show up 5mins after it starts, I had no trouble finding two open seats to anything.

This is also something to keep in mind- with several other ships and show reservations.    I think it works very well and these shows- many times are a cut above.    

It’s important to know YOURSELF.  And then not compromise.  🤩.  

I couldn’t care less what ship I’m on it’s basic meals lodging and transportation for me.  Itinerary and a bottom price were all I cared about.   I’ve cruised so frequently it’s gotten fairly ho hum in my case.  

There is something for everyone- be true to yourself.