More cruises from Portsmouth?

AndyMichelle

Other shore excursions ships could offer from Portsmouth for those that are not into Maritime history could include Chichester or Arundel (Cathedral/Castle) combined with the Sussex Downs and Weald open-air museum - it's where they film BBC's The Repair Shop but has a great collection of old, restored buildings. Alternatively, a day on the Isle of Wight visiting Osborne House and The Needles.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Britboys said:

Other shore excursions ships could offer from Portsmouth for those that are not into Maritime history could include Chichester or Arundel (Cathedral/Castle) combined with the Sussex Downs and Weald open-air museum - it's where they film BBC's The Repair Shop but has a great collection of old, restored buildings. Alternatively, a day on the Isle of Wight visiting Osborne House and The Needles.

The Weald and Downland Open Air Museum is a wonderful place to wander around, the day before a cruise 🙂  We make the journey down, part of our holiday and I have been there twice now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

The Weald and Downland Open Air Museum is a wonderful place to wander around, the day before a cruise 🙂  We make the journey down, part of our holiday and I have been there twice now. 

I know a bit about building materials. When my son was at first school the headteacher asked if I would join them in a trip there. Ok. I didn't know I would need to be investigated by the police first. I passed that, but failed miserably trying to keep a small party of 9 year olds under control. Didn't do it again, but a brilliant place to visit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've just now read online  that the

FCO are allowing a trial of four short British Isles cruises in September. Scottish Highlands, Welsh and Northern Ireland coastlines and English South coast. 

Portsmouth September 2nd. 

Liverpool September  7th &17th 

Glasgow September 12th. 

Didn't say which ships. That's as much as I could find. It doesn't sound like there'll be any ports of call.

Avril 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've just now read online  that the

FCO are allowing a trial of four short British Isles cruises in September. Scottish Highlands, Welsh and Northern Ireland coastlines and English South coast. 

Portsmouth September 2nd. 

Liverpool September  7th &17th 

Glasgow September 12th. 

Didn't say which ships. That's as much as I could find. It doesn't sound like there'll be any ports of call.

Avril 

I think these are Hurtigen cruises that I have seen advertised. A cruising magazine today reported that FCO advice had changed to allow river cruises and cruises around the British Isles which they said would be good news for Hurtigen.FCO advice has been updated to allow river cruising but I'm not sure how accurate the magazines opinion is that cruises around GB are ok bacause they don't come under 'International cruising'

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I've just found more on cruise & ferry.net

It's Hurtigruten's Roald Amundsen. More details on the actual places too.

Avril 

I have tried searching the site mentioned, but nothing comes up.  Can you give a link or maybe a hint how I might find details?  I am wondering if it have been pulled, because published prematurely.

44 minutes ago, tring said:

I have tried searching the site mentioned, but nothing comes up.  Can you give a link or maybe a hint how I might find details?  I am wondering if it have been pulled, because published prematurely.

Is this what you're looking for? https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/destinations/british-isles/#voyages

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

They look like cruises listed before all this kicked off and have port calls planned which I do not think would happen this summer.  Will search a bit further.  I suspect what people saw was an article mentioning certain cruises look acceptable to the FCO, rather than actual advertisements for them, but I have only recently picked up the posts above.

From memory, Tring, I think it was an advertisement this week in a newspaper - perhaps the Telegraph? And pretty sure it featured port stops.

Sorry, I can't check - they are lining the cat's litter tray, and there are limits🙂

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, tring said:

They look like cruises listed before all this kicked off and have port calls planned which I do not think would happen this summer.  Will search a bit further.  I suspect what people saw was an article mentioning certain cruises look acceptable to the FCO, rather than actual advertisements for them, but I have only recently picked up the posts above.

At the bottom under What’s included it mentions COVID 19 and the H&S arrangements for the cruise which will have a maximum of 350 passengers, normally 530. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

From memory, Tring, I think it was an advertisement this week in a newspaper - perhaps the Telegraph? And pretty sure it featured port stops.

Sorry, I can't check - they are lining the cat's litter tray, and there are limits🙂

I am sure your cat is far more in need, but thanks a lot for your link.

I think this could be the article as from the site mentioned by Ann141, but may have been other postings as well.  The four mentioned cruises in the article could be a re draft of the 13 which were probably planned previously:-

https://www.cruiseandferry.net/articles/hurtigruten-to-sail-four-british-isles-itineraries-in-september-1

I am thinking the other cruises advertised may just be like other adverts for cruises which will not go ahead, sadly.  The article mentions visiting nature and conservation projects up close, so as an expedition ship they may have got permission to land in remote areas away from the local population.  We will no doubt see in due course, but I would not mind the chance to experience that new ship and a Liverpool departure/return would be great for us, but not so sure I would want to coached back home.  We need to head to the Portsmouth area for interment of a relatives ashes when that sort of thing resumes though, so could possibly combine the two purposes.

Just rang Hurtigruten and was told the cruises are to take place as on their website which sounds a bit adventurous for a first call to me.  Well sounds like a sit tight for now situation perhaps, as I am a little skeptical that they will take place.

Snow Hill 

Just seen your post and do not see the wording you mention - perhaps there is a link, but not the one I am looking at.  

12 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

At the bottom under What’s included it mentions COVID 19 and the H&S arrangements for the cruise which will have a maximum of 350 passengers, normally 530. 

This looks more like it - there are differences and mention of COVID etc.

https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/british-isles-2020/#

6 hours ago, tring said:

I Googled British Isles cruises 2020. AnnieC post #61 has found it. You've probably seen it now too. Sorry I was late replying.😕

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Majesty of the Seas seems to like Portsmouth and is a frequent visitor now, this is her leaving yesterday passing HMS Warrior (1860) Britain's first iron-hulled, armoured battleship. (Part of the Historic Dockyard). The Gosport Ferry is to the left waiting for her to pass

X-pf-AjLSGma5JJiS_KjKg?viewBox=598%2C797&ownerId=A3CF91FJUZVQP0

Edited by Arachnid