dressing for equatorial sun?

dumbth

What is the norm for hats, etc on really hot cruises? Especially for sightseeing (not sunbathing) on top decks exposed to sun and wind, and for some excursions. Is it geeky to wear a 360 degree wide brim hat with underchin tiedown, and maybe long sleeve and pants like I do for tropical sailboating? I have been a more carefree person in the past, but have noticed folks in nursing homes with bad sun damage that blooms late in life.

Or are decks gentrified now to limit exposure to wind, sun, or rain to the point where weather doesn't affect clothing choices? In long past cruises I have spent umpteen hours for example  fjordwatching on rain lashed top decks or checking out Med. ports that my cabin is facing away from. Maybe a minimal solution is the narrowbrim crushable hat that sailplane pilots tend to wear, but with a foldaway chinstrap added. Cheers...

If you are prone to sunburn easily take care -

Plan for alternatives if you do get burned -

Beware when the sky is cloudy the sun rays are intense in equatorial latitudes -

High winds may not offer a cooling effect - more of a mild burn - 

Like a certain Hollywood actor - "you gots to know your limitations"!

These are not the same for all guests.

If you need to use sun protection - buy it in advance instead of the expensive on board stuff -

Check the shelf life - too old and not as effective -

Know how and when to pack it with your airline stuff (not in carry on luggage) -

Remember to reapply it often -

Now try and have a good time Charlie !  LOL !

Protect your skin and don't worry about what others think.

My mother was a fanatic about sunscreen and protective clothing for us when we were young and I followed through for all my adult life.

Now at seventy, my dermatologist tells me I have the skin of someone 20 -30 years younger  and it is nice to get the fisheye when asking for a senior discount that starts at 55.