Laundry!

Emtbsam

15 hours ago, jpalbny said:

The shirt, or the ship?   My shirts seem to shrink, not stretch, after prolonged exposure to a Silversea vessel.

Nice, wishful theory to explain the shrinking clothing when doing a cruise.  BUT, during this current Covid-19 shut-down, I have also been experiencing shrinking clothing.  In Central Ohio, we are not anywhere near sea/salt air?  Could it be some other unique factor causing my clothes to shrink and parts of my body to expand??  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, on the Silver Cloud to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 240,023

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Haha 1

We have done a fair amount of traveling about, and have seen many places where the local people (OK, I'm sorry, but typically women) would meet down by the river and pound their laundry with rocks and rinse in the flow of the river.  Anyone who has done a few outings on a cruise has seen this set up.  Given the hazards of corona virus, it seems to me perhaps Silver Seas could implement a fold down dock affair at the rear of the ship (similar to what some cruise lines have for launching kayaks, etc.), where in passengers could pound THEIR laundry on rocks, and have the valuable experience of doing laundry in the indigenous manner, and enjoying the poop deck, but at water line.  SS could provide rocks and soap.  After the washing is done, SS could also allow folks to string up their drying on lines running fore to aft, similar to how they do when flying flags during special events.  I can just imagine the Silver Spirit sailing into London with assorted undies and brassieres flying proudly in the wind!  This could add a lot of character, and would provide an opportunity for interesting conversation when - say - the ship is sailing by a ship from another line.  

46 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

We have done a fair amount of traveling about, and have seen many places where the local people (OK, I'm sorry, but typically women) would meet down by the river and pound their laundry with rocks and rinse in the flow of the river.  Anyone who has done a few outings on a cruise has seen this set up.  Given the hazards of corona virus, it seems to me perhaps Silver Seas could implement a fold down dock affair at the rear of the ship (similar to what some cruise lines have for launching kayaks, etc.), where in passengers could pound THEIR laundry on rocks, and have the valuable experience of doing laundry in the indigenous manner, and enjoying the poop deck, but at water line.  SS could provide rocks and soap.  After the washing is done, SS could also allow folks to string up their drying on lines running fore to aft, similar to how they do when flying flags during special events.  I can just imagine the Silver Spirit sailing into London with assorted undies and brassieres flying proudly in the wind!  This could add a lot of character, and would provide an opportunity for interesting conversation when - say - the ship is sailing by a ship from another line.  

What about all of those silly people that waste their cruise visiting the mythical Ships gym? “I’ve  heard of them but never had the misfortune of encountering one.) Maybe those ludicrous exercise bikes (a bike on a boat on a moving body of water) could be fitted with a system that enables well meaning cruisers to wash pairs of locals grotties that are trundled through salt water and after being beaten thoroughly against rocks are strapped to the wheels of the bike For a final “spin”. It certainly sits better with me than the hypocritical feel good clean up mission on some lines of removing plastics from the ocean whilst being on a cruise where you are constantly begging the crew to not give you a straw or a stirrer and are repeatedly met with a look of fear when you ask them not to use them.

Well, in truth, I think you could make a good case for every cruise ship to be fitted with stationary bikes perhaps in every cabin, or in ranks on the decks, and if people want the ship to go anywhere, they have to climb on the bikes and crank away.  The bikes are affixed to the main propulsion system, such that the screw turns according to the effort put out by the passengers.  The good thing about this is that it would be a stellar opportunity for exercise and weight loss.  Imagine you've been walking laps on the deck, carrying your 185# around in circles.  NOW, under this new scheme, you can pedal away whilst trying to move a ship that weights a skazillion tons! Think of the increased opportunity for weight loss!  Also, since there will be no more of those nasty buffets, you will have to make do with a SS employee in a full hazmat suit offering your a dollop of hummus on a piece of pita.  And you'll damn well like it!  If you're lucky, you might get a plastic cup with a slosh of bubbly in it - with a spritz of antiseptic on top!  I can hardly wait!  

• Haha 1