If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

When the vaccine is readily available to all, I would hope that cruise lines and public transportation operations would make the vaccine a condition of employment and mandatory for all passengers.

What if you can't get the vaccine due to being allergic to some of the ingredients?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

For the anti-maskers and the anti-vaxers, there is a line uttered by Scrooge in A Christmas Carol that goes something like this:

"If they would rather die, let them do so and decrease the surplus population."

When the vaccine is readily available to all, I would hope that cruise lines and public transportation operations would make the vaccine a condition of employment and mandatory for all passengers.

You *DO* realize Dickens was criticizing Scrooge's harshness, don't you? The whole point of A Christmas Carol was to show the cruelty of dismissing others with an "I've got mine" mindset. I don't consider people who object to being vaccinated as the surplus population who deserve what they get. Wow.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

What if you can't get the vaccine due to being allergic to some of the ingredients?

Google the ingredients...  Not too many products that people are allergic to that I can see..  

Almost all of them are in common usage in most foods and beverages. 

The list is there and if you have doubts AS ALWAYS consult your doctor. 

1 minute ago, boscobeans said:

Google the ingredients...  Not too many products that people are allergic to that I can see..  

Almost all of them are in common usage in most foods and beverages. 

The list is there and if you have doubts AS ALWAYS consult your doctor. 

Ok, did some checking out of curiosity.  The protein stabilizer used in mRNA is called PEG (Polysorbate).   It is only used in mRNA & not regular vaccines.  PEG is normally used in products (food, lotions, etc.).   May cause allergic reactions - might want to check with your doc about this if you are known to have allergic reaction issues.   Also latex on the vial itself.

NJ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Ok, did some checking out of curiosity.  The protein stabilizer used in mRNA is called PEG (Polysorbate).   It is only used in mRNA & not regular vaccines.  PEG is normally used in products (food, lotions, etc.).   May cause allergic reactions - might want to check with your doc about this if you are known to have allergic reaction issues.   Also latex on the vial itself.

NJ 

A review of the scientific literature reported 37 cases of an allergic reaction to PEG from 1977 to 2016. However, only 28 of these cases actually met the criteria for a severe allergic reaction 

That is some extremely low amount of allergenicity to a product.

PEG is found in hundreds of foods and products that we use almost every day.

The stoppers in the vials of both the Pfizer and the Moderna vaccines are LATEX FREE. 

Thanks for the info!   Interesting stuff.  So this is what's on CDC's website (below) under Covid-19 Allergic Reactions.  Wonder why they included this?

NJ

If you have had an allergic reaction to polyethylene glycol (PEG) or polysorbate

These recommendations include allergic reactions to PEG and polysorbate. Polysorbate is not an ingredient in either mRNA COVID-19 vaccine but is closely related to PEG, which is in the vaccines. People who are allergic to PEG or polysorbate should not get an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Thanks for the info!   Interesting stuff.  So this is what's on CDC's website (below) under Covid-19 Allergic Reactions.  Wonder why they included this?

NJ

They are just covering all contingencies.. Never see allergy warnings on Ice Cream for it or bread products.

ps. Immunizers are trained and prepared for allergic reactions should they occur and many sites have EMTs on hand as well.

Edited by boscobeans

40 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

No vaccine, no cruise, no exception!  It’s not about you!  It’s about all the other passengers!

7 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

I can understand not cruising, but a condition of employment....that's NUTS!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

No vaccine, no cruise, no exception!  It’s not about you!  It’s about all the other passengers!

I’m sorry... has that actually been decided yet by ALL cruise  lines ....did I miss an announcement ...or have you just decided that is the case .... yep well we know the answer to that so no need to reply. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, life is to be happy said:

I’m sorry... has that actually been decided yet by ALL cruise  lines ....did I miss an announcement ...or have you just decided that is the case .... yep well we know the answer to that so no need to reply. 

USA TODAY

February 12th 2021

Royal Caribbean and Norwegian plan to require crew members to be fully vaccinated.

Royal Caribbean Group, parent to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea cruise lines, will probably require its crew members to be vaccinated before boarding ships, spokesman Jonathon Fishman told USA TODAY Friday.

"We sent a crew letter out saying that we’d require vaccines," Fishman said, confirming the veracity of the letter published Wednesday on Crew Center, a website run by ex-crew members. 

"So far, several vaccines have shown to be effective at preventing both mild and severe symptoms of COVID-19, and we intend to make them a key component of our healthy return to service," the letter reads. "Therefore, we expect vaccinations will be required for our crew as part of our plan for your return to working on our ships."

1 minute ago, boscobeans said:

USA TODAY

February 12th 2021

Royal Caribbean and Norwegian plan to require crew members to be fully vaccinated.

Royal Caribbean Group, parent to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea cruise lines, will probably require its crew members to be vaccinated before boarding ships, spokesman Jonathon Fishman told USA TODAY Friday.

"We sent a crew letter out saying that we’d require vaccines," Fishman said, confirming the veracity of the letter published Wednesday on Crew Center, a website run by ex-crew members. 

"So far, several vaccines have shown to be effective at preventing both mild and severe symptoms of COVID-19, and we intend to make them a key component of our healthy return to service," the letter reads. "Therefore, we expect vaccinations will be required for our crew as part of our plan for your return to working on our ships."

Yeah thanks for that.... did you see the words “plan” and “probably” ?? Well to me that doesn’t say it has been decided yet.... and they only mentioned  crew in that.  Next please 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Thousands of employees at hospitals and other medical facilities are required to be vaccinated as a condition of employment.

The ADA stipulates that they cannot require me to get vaccinated if I cannot receive the vaccine due to a health issue.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

They are just covering all contingencies.. Never see allergy warnings on Ice Cream for it or bread products.

ps. Immunizers are trained and prepared for allergic reactions should they occur and many sites have EMTs on hand as well.

But ice cream doesn't get injected into your cells.  Maybe the difference is that if you are allergic then the reaction will be stronger since it's injected into your cells?

NJ

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 12:22 PM, keyboardjunkie said:

Just an FYI - I always thought Florida had the largest population of people over 65 in any state.  This actually is not correct.  I was surprised to learn that Maine beats Florida by a small percentage by percent of the state's population.  (https://www.prb.org/which-us-states-are-the-oldest/ )  Who would have guessed!

I don't think they count snow birds and part time residents of Florida who keep a Northern residency for reasons such as homestead purposes. This group is around

50% in my community of over 600 homes.

21 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Thousands of employees at hospitals and other medical facilities are required to be vaccinated as a condition of employment.

The EEOC "interpreted" the direct threat clause to include COVID.  I think that is a huge stretch and far beyond the bounds of its intent. 

Regarding medical facilities, the EEOC said "employers can require that employees get inoculated as a condition of going to work, unless an employee declines because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief" (source:EEOC.gov)  I'm guessing there are going to be a lot joining Christian Scientists soon ;-).  The ADA covers many disabilities and the employer must make reasonable accommodation which could include having an employee work in a different department or testing.  They can't be discharged from their jobs if they have a disability and refuse the vax (again, according to EEOC.gov/newsroom). Considering that in many places, 50% or more of health care workers are refusing the vax (see LATimes.com), I'm guessing that mandating it is going to further exacerbate the nursing shortage.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to be the first company to try this in court - especially if the employee has an ADA-covered disability.  

45 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

But ice cream doesn't get injected into your cells.  Maybe the difference is that if you are allergic then the reaction will be stronger since it's injected into your cells?

NJ

Sorry just showing what I have found.

Take it for what it is worth.

About one documented case per year.

49 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

The ADA stipulates that they cannot require me to get vaccinated if I cannot receive the vaccine due to a health issue.

Sadly cruises might not be in your future, that is until vaccines will no longer be needed for guests. You might discover the fact that the Islands will not welcome ships unless all on board are vaccinated as well. 

Only time will tell. It’s a wait and see. 

• Haha 1

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

Sadly cruises might not be in your future, that is until vaccines will no longer be needed for guests. You might discover the fact that the Islands will not welcome ships unless all on board are vaccinated as well. 

You totally missed the point that this was in regards to EMPLOYMENT not cruising

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

That's exactly it.  We'll all have to wait and see.  We still have several cruises booked on three different lines right now.  If they end up deciding that they need 100% vaccination, we'll be sad, but will simply travel stateside.  We've already been to a lot of places we hadn't planned, and will simply have to change vacations.

A&L is absolutely right.  We're all speculating, and will have to wait for a definitive answer.  Meanwhile, we're researching contingencies.  Cruising is wonderful, but our lives would still be rich without it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

Sorry about that. When I read this direct quote above I took it meant you, not crew.

I’d think the lines can apply what ever rules they want for the the vast majority of crew, as very few of them would fall under the ADA as they are not American  

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1