If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

18 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

The ADA stipulates that they cannot require me to get vaccinated if I cannot receive the vaccine due to a health issue.

Does the ADA stipulate that you can board public transportation including cruise ships IF there are vaccine mandates?

18 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

The EEOC "interpreted" the direct threat clause to include COVID.  I think that is a huge stretch and far beyond the bounds of its intent. 

Regarding medical facilities, the EEOC said "employers can require that employees get inoculated as a condition of going to work, unless an employee declines because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief" (source:EEOC.gov)  I'm guessing there are going to be a lot joining Christian Scientists soon ;-).  The ADA covers many disabilities and the employer must make reasonable accommodation which could include having an employee work in a different department or testing.  They can't be discharged from their jobs if they have a disability and refuse the vax (again, according to EEOC.gov/newsroom). Considering that in many places, 50% or more of health care workers are refusing the vax (see LATimes.com), I'm guessing that mandating it is going to further exacerbate the nursing shortage.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to be the first company to try this in court - especially if the employee has an ADA-covered disability.  

I don't quite understand why the ADA has anything to do or say with vaccinations? Can someone please explain?

Edited by coffeebean

4 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

I've already gotten my first shot.....my sister has significant allergies and has been told by her doctor to NOT get the shot. She would like to re-enter society, but this blight that you all put upon her is, IMHO, unjust. To treat her like a leper because of a health issue, which she certainly didn't ask for, makes me shake my head. She is not "selfish" for not getting the shot, she isn't "trying to kill you" by not getting the shot....she just doesn't want the shot to potentially kill her.

How does she safely re-enter society (or cruise)? (I ask this to the "no vaccine, no cruise" folk)

She can opt to receive the vaccine in a medical facility where they can administer epinephrine in the event of an anaphylactic reaction. She may want to consider that.

4 hours ago, CaroleSS said:
10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I've already gotten my first shot.....my sister has significant allergies and has been told by her doctor to NOT get the shot. She would like to re-enter society, but this blight that you all put upon her is, IMHO, unjust. To treat her like a leper because of a health issue, which she certainly didn't ask for, makes me shake my head. She is not "selfish" for not getting the shot, she isn't "trying to kill you" by not getting the shot....she just doesn't want the shot to potentially kill her.

How does she safely re-enter society (or cruise)? (I ask this to the "no vaccine, no cruise" folk)

She does not cruise!  I am planning on a cruise with all passengers vaccinated and no exceptions.  She’s not going to prison, just not cruising!

33 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Nothing has been mandated YET. I surely hope there will be a mandate for every single person who boards a cruise ship be vaccinated. That is what will make me feel safe and that is what will allow everyone on board to enjoy a pre-Covid cruise experience.

I will be fully vaccinated next week and if my November Oasis cruise actually happens, I will be on the ship - regardless of whether or not Royal requires pax to be vaccinated. However, it has been and will continue to be my belief that in order for cruise lines to return safely to cruising without any major outbreaks, they should require people to be vaccinated in order to sail.

I'm not saying my opinion can't change or that I think vaccinations should be required long term, but simply that I think that is the best way to get cruises started up again from North American ports.

3 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

All these questions also pertain to other diseases as well: measles, mumps, the seasonal flu....norovirus.  Why have we not been asking these questions for years?

To prevent the spread of norovirus (which is rampant on cruise ships) why have we allowed buffets? To prevent the spread of the seasonal flu every year, why have we not been wearing masks or social distancing? Why have we not required proof of the flu vaccine or other communicable diseases before? People do die each year from these things.

I ask these questions not to be obtuse, but to make people think. I understand that everyone is tired of being cooped up and we ALL want to go on vacation again, but we've been avoiding the elephant in the room all these years.

M8:

why would they risk cruising wherepeople are packed into space and spread is likely to by easy?

answer.....she doesn't. I brought her situation up because people were saying hobbible things about those who won't get the shot. I posed her situation so people might try to get off their ivory tower and think that there are some who would like to but can't. Yes, selfish on their part.....they want to cruise sooo bad that they are willing to throw her under the proverbial bus.

Coffeebean:

The more people who are NOT vaccinated, the more the Covid virus will mutate. The more people who are vaccinated, themutations of the virus will be stopped in their tracks.

this is simply not true! We have a vaccine for the seasonal flu and it mutates every year. What makes you think that CV won't as well (p.s. it already has!)

Of course Covid virus has mutated already. We are all aware of the variants from UK,  South Africa, Brazil and who know where else. It has been said that the quicker people are vaccinated in our country, the less the virus will have the opportunity to mutate. Those are not my words, but the words of experts who have devoted their lives to infectious diseases and immunology.

3 hours ago, coffeebean said:
On 2/15/2021 at 7:29 PM, Incognito1 said:

I will answer that. Those who have and will be vaccinated (myself included) will be doing their part for our country to reach safe herd immunity. Once our population reaches herd immunity, we will see our lives go back to normal. Until that happens, our lives will be altered from the normal we all have known pre-Covid.

The more people who are NOT vaccinated, the more the Covid virus will mutate. The more people who are vaccinated, the mutations of the virus will be stopped in their tracks.

Call me selfish that I want to see our country reach herd immunity SAFELY and see our great country back to the normal we all once knew. Anti-vaxxers will not allow this to occur if there are enough people who refuse the vaccine.

I completely agree.  Sign me up for the totally vaccinated ship.  NO EXCEPTIONS!  In many cases people use the “I can’t wear a mask” as an excuse because they don’t want to.  (Often political). Costco let people get away with that for a while, but no more.  No mask, no Costco .  There must be hard rules without exception for the good of the herd.  We’re not putting the untaxed people in prison, just off the cruise ship!

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

No, it's not nuts. Some health care facilities have made vaccination mandatory. You don't want it? Find another job.

The hospital I worked in made yearly flu vaccines mandatory back in 2012, you could get an exemption based on health issues or religion but were then required to wear a mask while in the hospital.   It was amazing how quickly both issues disappeared and employees were vaccinated. 

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am really happy that RCI has been installing hand washing stations in the Windjammers. I prefer eating after using soap and water instead of chemicals.

At any venue on board, no amount of washing or Purell will prevent you from getting infected if you don't sanitize after adjusting your chair and are comfortably seated... 

Just think of what is on the arms or fabric of chairs and other seating... 

other places are menus, salt and pepper and sweetener holders.

14 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

At any venue on board, no amount of washing or Purell will prevent you from getting infected if you don't sanitize after adjusting your chair and are comfortably seated... 

Just think of what is on the arms or fabric of chairs and other seating... 

other places are menus, salt and pepper and sweetener holders.

I have no idea how I have done the number of cruises that I have and never become sick.

• Like 4

She can opt to receive the vaccine in a medical facility where they can administer epinephrine in the event of an anaphylactic reaction. She may want to consider that.

Epi pens work to prevent a bad outcome from an anaphylactic reaction to drugs. If it were me, I would go ahead and get the vaccine under medical supervision with epinephrine at the ready. I would not hesitate one minute if I was allergic to any parts of the vaccine.

Of all the things I've read on this board that make me just want to shake my head in disbelief, this combo right here is just spectacular. Vaccines are about risk reduction, especially when they don't necessarily infer sterilizing immunity. If you know you are allergic to ingredients used in a vaccine, and (spitballing here) have a 50% chance of anaphylaxis (which carries a 2% chance of death in the wild, and slightly less than 1% in a medical setting), there are very few cases in which it would make sense from a personal risk calculus to take such a vaccine. Better to wait for one less likely to cause an allergic reaction... I'm not a doctor, but doctors have a much better handle on the likelihoods of certain outcomes and are much better equipped to help a patient perform a risk-benefit calculation than you and me. Perhaps avoid giving medical advice on the internet.

Edited by lizzius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

How many times have you had noro?

Twice, and never on a ship.  SIL’s family “gifted” it to us on Boxing Day and from Owen’s day care a long long time ago. It was a hit to the gut for sure. I have called it mass evacuation, cause it is an accurate description.

11 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

Aw geez......why didn't *I* think of that! Mask wearing all the time......the "new normal"!?!?

Pennsylvania's governor already recommended wearing it in your own home.  Ditto Miami's mayor.  Next it will be gloves, then covering the body's surface.  Maybe staying in our room's the whole time.

Stock up on the baby shampoo and mouthwash, though.  Study from Penn State College of Medicine shows that both kill the coronavirus.  https://bestlifeonline.com/mouthwash-baby-shampoo-kill-covid

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

Pennsylvania's governor already recommended wearing it in your own home.  Ditto Miami's mayor.  Next it will be gloves, then covering the body's surface.  Maybe staying in our room's the whole time

Whee-doggie! I'm gonna have a GREAT vacation.....all snuggled up in my latex pajamagram sitting in my cabin! I can't wait!  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1