Cruise With Confidence Policy Extended to April 2021

iMarco46

Why oh why do the number crunchers not understand that their penny pinching  policies do so much harm to the brands reputation? Why do the powers above not have their fingers on the pulse? From my own experience, I immediately refunded every pre paid booking that we were not able to honour due to restrictions from my own business which envoked a large amount of loyalty, not publicly aired animosity. Yes the business account diminished  within days but we honoured our contracts. Such ducking, diving and conniving is only what supports speculation of your downfall. Conduct your business with pride and honour and people will remain loyal. Duck, dive, connive and penny pinch and you will reap what you sow.

3 hours ago, scottjeanne said:

We were on the January 24 Wind Antarctica cruise.  They will not give us the 125% FCC.

Thanks.  I guess this is an example of why words matter since their website states, “Guests will receive ‘up to’ 125% Future Cruise Credit* for cruises canceled by Silversea. Looks like they are taking advantage of the “up to” language in their favor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thanks.  I guess this is an example of why words matter since their website states, “Guests will receive ‘up to’ 125% Future Cruise Credit* for cruises canceled by Silversea. Looks like they are taking advantage of the “up to” language in their favor.

Except, information on the resumption of cruising states a 125% refund in the form of a FCC, no mention of ‘up to’!

Hasn't the Wind situation been discussed extensively in another thread on this board?

The Wind cruises were cancelled because of a delay in the dry dock.  Not because of the COVID dangers.

I understand that people might hope for the 125% FCC cruise credit, but I also understand why SS is not offering it.  That arrangement is COVID related, not to maintenance issues.  Similarly, airlines offer different compensation if cancellations are caused by mechanical problems on the plane or weather that is beyond control of airline.

2 hours ago, Observer said:

Hasn't the Wind situation been discussed extensively in another thread on this board?

The Wind cruises were cancelled because of a delay in the dry dock.  Not because of the COVID dangers.

I understand that people might hope for the 125% FCC cruise credit, but I also understand why SS is not offering it.  That arrangement is COVID related, not to maintenance issues.  Similarly, airlines offer different compensation if cancellations are caused by mechanical problems on the plane or weather that is beyond control of airline.

Well, yes and no. The dry dock has been pushed back. Why? COVID! We don't know if it's because the shipyard is operating at reduced speed, because some parts/materials needed for the makeover are delayed coming from suppliers, or because Silversea/RCC wanted to conserve cash and delay the expensive project -- but all of those possible reasons are nonetheless due to COVID. 

Airlines are a very different matter. It's a normal part of air travel that some flights are delayed or canceled. But there is often another flight later in the day, or the next day. And there are other airlines you can switch to in order to get where you're going. Weather delays are normal, and receive no compensation. Even mechanical delays do not require compensation from the airline. The only required compensation is if you're involuntarily bumped from a flight. (At least in the US; the EU has more passenger protection laws and rules than the US does.) This is all a world apart from the very unusual issue of cruise cancellations.

Back to Silversea and FCC compensation, it's purely about customer relations and goodwill. Nothing compels them to do anything more than refund the money of a cancelled cruise. They're giving out larger FCCs because they want to hold onto the cash people have already paid them, and to create something of a win/win for them and their customers under the circumstances of not being able to cruise. So yes, they can change the rate from 125% to 110% -- or 150% or 100% -- but the less they offer, the more they risk alienating their customers.

In our case, with $50,000 paid far in advance for a Wind cruise this winter, we're probably going to end up taking our money back because the extra 10% they're offering if we take the FCC would mean we could never get our money back, even in circumstances change in the future. If they want us to take that risk, they need to offer us more of an upside, in my opinion. They've calculated otherwise, so we'll end up draining their bank account rather than staying booked.

• Like 3

We just received notification from Silversea that our cruise in December 2020 has been cancelled.  But instead of honouring their disclosed 125% FCC credit, we only received 110%.   

This is on their current website; note, it does not say "up to 125%":

https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

Booked guests on cancelled voyages will receive a 125% cruise fare refund in the form of a Future Cruise Credit (FCC), which can be applied toward any future cruise and it’s valid two years from issuance. This is an incredible value to enhance the future cruise by choosing a longer itinerary or upgrading the stateroom category.

When I spoke to the Silversea agents to inquire on why we only received 110% FCC,  the first agent simply made up stories about it is due to my travel destination - Antarctica, and the second agent said it is due to there are other itineraries available.  The fact that the Silversea agents do not have the same info on why a customer is only given 110% instead of 125%, and none of their reasons are disclosed on Silversea website, I don't feel I am getting the accurate information.  If I speak to another agent, I might get another reason...

Does anyone know why Silversea is only given out 110% FCC and not 125% as stated on their website?  Is their website providing "false advertisement"?  Does anyone have any insights to share?

Please advise.  Thanks!

12 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Except, information on the resumption of cruising states a 125% refund in the form of a FCC, no mention of ‘up to’!

“up to” is on the U.S. site.  Can’t speak to other countries.

12 hours ago, Observer said:

C’mon Observer.  You know better.  Whether or not this is a force majeure event could be argued, but it is most certainly due to Covid-19, plain and simple.

The link I provided below is from US.  I am in CA. It doesn't state "up to 125%"... and it doesn't say anything about being Covid-specific.

https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

Booked guests on cancelled voyages will receive a 125% cruise fare refund in the form of a Future Cruise Credit (FCC), which can be applied toward any future cruise and it’s valid two years from issuance. This is an incredible value to enhance the future cruise by choosing a longer itinerary or upgrading the stateroom category.

I am in the US.  I go to www.silversea.com -> and click Learn more about the resumption of our itineraries.

and it takes me to :  https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

So to me, consider this is a US site too....

I am not sure where your link is from.... but at this point, I am guessing they are just playing with words, and 125% is not real?

28 minutes ago, AndieSF said:

I am in the US.  I go to www.silversea.com -> and click Learn more about the resumption of our itineraries.

and it takes me to :  https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

I know that’s where you are going in your link.  Hence, why I posted the different link which comes from the  same U.S. homepage as yours, but below your link titled, Enhanced Cruise With Confidence policy.

• 1 month later...

Updated yesterday:

https://www.silversea.com/temporary-amendment-to-cancellation-policy.html

AS OF SEPTEMBER 1, 2020

SILVERSEA “CRUISE WITH CONFIDENCE” OUR NEW CANCELLATION POLICY

NOW EXTENDED THROUGH 30 APRIL, 2021

YOU CAN BOOK YOUR CRUISE WITH CONFIDENCE

You will be allowed to cancel your cruise for any reason up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit with a 2 year validity, for all voyages departing prior to 30 April, 2021.

VOYAGES CANCELED BY SILVERSEA

- Guests will receive up to 125% Future Cruise Credit* for cruises canceled by Silversea. This is an incredible value to enhance your future cruise by
upgrading your stateroom category, for example. 

· Future Cruise Credits are transferable to family and friends, and can be used partially and applied on more than one new booking.

· The process is very easy. Upon cancellation of the voyage, Silversea will email the guest the Future Cruise Credit, within 15 days, to the email address in the reservation. If the guest booked through a travel agency, the travel advisor will also receive a copy of the Future Cruise Credit. If the guest booked through a Tour Operator, the guest will have to reach out to their Tour Operator agent.

· If guests decide to forego the Future Cruise Credit, a cash refund option is also available.^

· If guests booked Net Rates, then they will receive a 100% FCCThis applies for voyages cancelled in July 2020 forward.

EXCLUSIVE VENETIAN SOCIETY CRUISE DAYS: On voyages cancelled by Silversea due to Covid-19 from March 1, 2020 onward Venetian Society members will accumulate VS days on the cancelled voyage as well as on the new booked with the FCC. ^^

CANCEL UP TO 48 HOURS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE FOR VOYAGES THROUGH 30 APRIL, 2021

And receive a FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT

WHEN GUESTS CANCEL UP TO 48 HOURS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

· If guests cancel up to 48 hours prior to voyage departure date they can elect to receive 100% Future Cruise Credit* equivalent to the portion of the booking paid, minus any cancellation penalties from 3rd party suppliers charged to Silversea. If guests opt for a cash refund instead, standard Silversea cancelation terms will apply

· Future Cruise Credits are transferable to family and friends, and can be used partially and applied on more than one new booking.

· The Future Cruise Credit can be applied towards a booking with a promotional pricing.

· We have made the process very easy. Upon cancellation of the voyage, Silversea will email you the Future Cruise Credit, within 15 days, to the email address in the reservation. If you booked through a travel agency, your travel advisor will also receive a copy of the Future Cruise Credit.  If you booked through a Tour Operator, please reach out to your Tour Operator agent.**

- Valid for cruises through 30 April, 2021.

WHEN GUESTS CANCEL LESS THAN 48 HOURS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

· Penalty will be 100% of the booking.

· Penalty for DACH markets is as follows:

o  80% of the voyage price if cancellation happens between 2 and 1 day before departure
o  95% of the voyage price if cancellation happens on the departure date or if there a no show

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Cruise with Confidence does not apply to chartered sailings & groups.

Silversea reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions at any time without prior notice or liability.  Offer can be withdrawn without notice.

* FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT (FCC)

The FCC has 2 year of validity from the issuing date.

The FCC will be issued in the amount of the booking value paid. Booking value refers to the cruise fare plus any other purchased via Silversea such as air upgrades, deviations, transfers, insurance, hotel, land tours and pre and post and tours.  The FCC issued will be net of any penalties imposed to Silversea by these suppliers.

Cruises cancelled by the guest: No additional payment will be accepted after the clients and/or the travel advisor has already communicated to Silversea their wish to cancel the cruise and qualify for the FCC.

Cruises cancelled by Silversea: The FCC is computed on what has been paid on the day the cancellation is communicated by Silversea; NO additional payment will be accepted on cruises that Silversea has already announced to be canceled.

The FCC can be applied towards land programs, hotels, air and other non-cruise component of the new booking; ad hoc exceptions can be evaluated by Silversea.

For Net Rates, the FCC will be issued at 100% of what was paid.

The FCC can be moved voyage to voyage towards any other 2020 voyage.

If the value of this certificate is applied to a cruise fare of less than its assigned value, a new Cruise Credit for the remainder of the certificate’s value will be issued subject to the same terms and conditions as stated herein. Once applied toward future cruise(s), the Cruise Credit will be rendered null and void.

The Cruise Credit will be honored in the name(s) of the Guest(s) included on the Cruise Credit, or as a one-time exception the Cruise Credit can be transferred with a notarized letter from the Cruise Credit holder, naming the friend(s)/relative(s) the Credit is being transferred to.         

The FCC cannot be used for a past booking or a booking that has been paid in full.       

If guests have an FCC that was applied to the cancelled booking, this FCC will be reinstated with expiration date to December 31, 2020. Guests must sail by December 31, 2021. Once re-activated, it can be combined with the Cruise with Confidence FCC on the new booking. 

FCC can be combined with current promotions, meaning that FCC can be applied towards a booking with a promotional pricing.

^^ The double Venetian Society Days promotion is only applicable to FCC associated to cruises cancelled by Silversea. The guest will accumulate Venetian Society days of the original cancelled booking and the ones associated with the new booking. It is combinable with all public fares and promotions excluding reduced rates and net deals. Only eligible for the Guests included in the original booking. If FCC is cancelled, and the guest opts for cash back instead, then the additional Venetian Society days will be removed.

Other restrictions may apply.

^ CASH REFUND

The cash refund of the booking cruise fare paid to be credited to the original method of payment could take up to 90 days but will typically be received within 30 to 45 days of guest’s request, due to exceptional workload Silversea is facing.
The refund of 3rd party items purchased via Silversea such as air upgrades, air deviation fees, transfers, insurance, hotel, land tours, pre/post and overlands will be net of any penalties assessed by the suppliers.

Regarding the refund of 3rd party items purchased independently such as such as air upgrades, deviations, transfers, insurance, hotel, land tours and pre and post and overland tours; please reach out to the airline carrier, tour operator, or hotel supplier/chain directly to discuss options.

In the case of sailings cancelled by Silversea, the refund of cancellation costs of any independent air arrangements will be evaluated upon presentation of the expenses to our guest relations department. Unless the refund has already been processed, clients can change their mind and ask for the FCC at any time. On all insurance items: no refunds allowed; guest should file a claim with the insurance company first, prior to any refund/FCC given.

Specific about insurance in the US market: AON & Allianz insurance policies are now fully refundable in the event that Silversea cancels the voyage and the guests active booking is thus cancelled due to our cruise cancellation.  

Edited by iMarco46

I wonder if some people (with too much time on their hands? 🙂) are gaming the system and booking cruises they are almost certain will be cancelled in hopes of getting the bonus.  Arguably, people who booked in January "deserve" the 25% "bonus" when their November cruise is cancelled.  Perhaps not people who booked in September when the odds of a November departure seem much more limited.

• Like 1