Concierge suite question

joeinsb

With our FCC in hand from a cruise Regent had to cancel, we are looking at our first transatlantic cruise in fall 2021 and are considering a concierge suite, but they are considerably more expensive than the superior suite we normally book. We are trying to compare the costs if we booked a superior suite and our own hotel room, but I haven't been able to find out any information on a couple of issues. If we book a concierge suite and use the Regent air package, will Regent pick us up at the Barcelona airport and take us to their designated hotel, or will we be responsible for getting our own transportation from  the airport to the hotel.

I gather that with a concierge suiite, Regent will take us from the hotel to the ship and from the ship to the airport. Is that true? When Regent says porterage is included with the hotel, does that mean they will cover all porter tips when we check in and out of the hotel? I know there are other advantages to a concierge suite, such as early dining and shore excursion reservations, but those benefits don't really concern me. We have never had a problem getting what we want in those areas with our superior suite.

Any thoughts that longtime Regent passengers have on the wisdom of booking a concierge suite would be greatly appreciated.

When you are in a concierge suite, you are picked up from the airport and dropped off at the hotel (the day before embarkation).  You then receive transportation to the ship and, at the end of the cruise, from the ship to the airport.  

While.Regent says that porterage is included (which it likely is), I do tip the porter at the ship ... just to make sure that our luggage will be delivered and also tip the porters at the hotel.  

Quick  answer(s).

Yes, all pick-ups and deliveries are included.  Once landed  at that airport, local contractors take care of you.  They have Regent IDs; but they are local folks.  They handle  the bags.  No tipping necessary. 

You are not expected  to "tip"  hotel staff who are responsible for getting bags off the Van,  or Bus, or whatever the conveyance  is, depending  on how  many other fellow-Concierge  folks accompany you from  airport to Regent's designated hotel.  Just proceed to the Front Desk for check-in, room assignment, and,  of course, receiving a Voucher for next  morning's  breakfast.  (Included).  Usually, there will be waiting period after check-in (that afternoon/evening BEFORE beginning of the cruise).  So, bags put in a secure location.  When a hotel attendant facilitates delivery to your room, and acquaints the new arrival with how to turn on/off the  air-conditioning, television, and so-on:   our practice has been, of course,  a nominal tip. 

That is our practice.  For goodness sake:  these cruises normally cost us $30,000+.   A few  bucks to  the attendant is small potatoes.   Oh,  where is the ice  machine?   Ice appears post-haste. 

Hotel staff and  Regent contractors are  responsible for next morning's removal of bags from your room to a separate van, or bus,  for transport to the ship.   We  don't tip  for that  transit, as we are not present during that procedure.  We are usually at breakfast, or walking in the area.  Next  time  we see the bags--they are in our Suite.

You need  to supply more information before a more-definitive answer can be given as to any differences between a Superior or Concierge Suite.  What specific ship will you be on?   It does depend. 

This  is a starter.  Trust, others will  weigh-in.  Like I just-opined--stand-by.

GOARMY!

• Like 3

Thanks so much for the info. It's very helpful. We, too, plan to tip where it's appropriate, but if we can save some of the transportation costs, that will make up some of the difference in the cost. The ship we are considering is Splendor, which is the ship we would have been on, but it was canceled the day before we were to leave. That's why we are looking forward to finally sailing on that beautiful ship.

29 minutes ago, joeinsb said:

Thanks so much for the info. It's very helpful. We, too, plan to tip where it's appropriate, but if we can save some of the transportation costs, that will make up some of the difference in the cost. The ship we are considering is Splendor, which is the ship we would have been on, but it was canceled the day before we were to leave. That's why we are looking forward to finally sailing on that beautiful ship.

What a coincidence - we were also going on the Splendor cruise that was scheduled to leave March 14th.  She does look like a gorgeous ship (like her sister - Explorer).  Hope that you have a wonderful sailing.  Stay safe!

By booking a concierge suite you get to select your shore excursions and specialty dinner reservations earlier. I found that the best shore excursions sell out quickly and many are gone before the general bookings begin. On a trans Atlantic cruise I’m not sure how many excursions are available.

• Thanks 1

In Concierge you also get multiple network logins. If it matters to you that both of you can be online at the same time that is something to consider. 

if you’re not too much of a coffee snob it can also be nice to have the in-room coffee maker. 

• Thanks 1

A whole lot of people were scheduled to be on Splendor, at San Diego, for March 14th departure.  Including us.  We were there on the 13th--at Regent's designated hotel.  Alas.  But,  did get that nice  March 14th hotel breakfast.  Then, back to  SEATAC.  The first of several scheduled 2020 Regent cancelations.  

GOARMY!

We were 1st time Regent cruisers and booked a Concierge suite on the Mariner for our 2019 Panama Canal Cruise.  We did not use Regent Air because we wanted to use our local airport.  (Did not make sense to us to drive 1 hour when we could have someone easily drop us off 10 minutes away!)  We did receive a credit against our final payment for using our own air.  Because of this, we had to arrange our own transport from airport to hotel and then at the end of the cruise from ship to airport.

The reasons we felt concierge was the way to go for us were:

-earlier excursion selection (got all of our 1st choices)

-earlier reservation date for Prime 7 and Chartreuse (did not get the dates we wanted - but did get dates early in the trip as we wanted.)

-location of room

-staying at the Beverly Wilshire was an amazing treat - but also worked out quite well because we were able to start our cruise off the first morning by meeting some really nice people who we continued to run into on the ship for the next 2 weeks!

Yes the cost is more, for us it was we were pleased with the decision.

Jerie

On 8/4/2020 at 3:31 PM, jeb_bud said:

In Concierge you also get multiple network logins. If it matters to you that both of you can be online at the same time that is something to consider. 

if you’re not too much of a coffee snob it can also be nice to have the in-room coffee maker. 

We prefer Concierge due to the multiple network logins (I travel blog and do social media and husband is a news hound, so we both have multiple devices we use on a trip).  It is also extremely helpful to get the priority booking for excursions, and we like the in-room coffee maker as well (neither I or my hubby can move before coffee in the morning). We are booked in a Concierge Suite for our next (hopefully) Navigator cruise April 2021.  We decided to not book the Penthouse Suite for this cruise since having a butler during the age of COVID didn’t make sense to us, and we don’t feel the need for canapes and such. 

On 8/4/2020 at 3:54 PM, GOARMY said:

A whole lot of people were scheduled to be on Splendor, at San Diego, for March 14th departure.  Including us.  We were there on the 13th--at Regent's designated hotel.  Alas.  But,  did get that nice  March 14th hotel breakfast.  Then, back to  SEATAC.  The first of several scheduled 2020 Regent cancelations.  

GOARMY!

Regent does include free breakfast 🙂

On 8/3/2020 at 11:13 PM, joeinsb said:

With our FCC in hand from a cruise Regent had to cancel, we are looking at our first transatlantic cruise in fall 2021 and are considering a concierge suite, but they are considerably more expensive than the superior suite we normally book. We are trying to compare the costs if we booked a superior suite and our own hotel room, but I haven't been able to find out any information on a couple of issues. If we book a concierge suite and use the Regent air package, will Regent pick us up at the Barcelona airport and take us to their designated hotel, or will we be responsible for getting our own transportation from  the airport to the hotel.

I gather that with a concierge suiite, Regent will take us from the hotel to the ship and from the ship to the airport. Is that true? When Regent says porterage is included with the hotel, does that mean they will cover all porter tips when we check in and out of the hotel? I know there are other advantages to a concierge suite, such as early dining and shore excursion reservations, but those benefits don't really concern me. We have never had a problem getting what we want in those areas with our superior suite.

Any thoughts that longtime Regent passengers have on the wisdom of booking a concierge suite would be greatly appreciated.

We have done 18 Regent cruises; about 6 were in Concierge. Lots of personal preferences and consideration of SS Society status went into those decisions.We did Barcelona to Miami (via San Juan) in February 2020 on the Splendor in our favorite Concierge Cabin 608 (or 610) and with Regent Air. You have already gotten lots of good info but here's my opinion on the info you requested:

1. You have a terrific itinerary for a cool weather TA and might get a lot of use for your balcony so a larger Concierge cabin might be of benefit. (it also has  the minor benefit of a cashmere blanket and binoculars).

2. You are using Regent Air; depending on your SSS status, you could avoid the $175/each  "deviation" fee if you come in a day before embarkation as Concierge.

3. The Fairmont Rey is presently the scheduled Regent hotel. Nice property but not near much except the soccer stadium; however Metro is about 1/3 mile and goes direct to tourist areas.

4. Using Regent Air and being Concierge, you will get transport to hotel and to the ship. You will get transport to Miami airport because of Regent Air - NOT because of concierge. Taxis in both Barcelona airport and Miami cruise port were easy to get even with our 4 suitcases.

Wish you Bon Voyage on a magnificent ship.

Jim C.