When will Windstar resume cruising?

OctoberKat

Windstar (and other cruise lines) continue to advertise heavily on- and off line. Which befuddles me because no one knows when cruising, even on smaller vessels, will be sufficiently safe. Despite the size of the vessel, the crucial issue is crew who are bundled up closely in their cramped quarters. 

My January 2021 Windstar Panama Canal transit was cancelled and that makes sense to me. But, I am nonplussed by Windstar and other lines exuberantly  pushing their cruise advertising in this unsettled time when no one knows what will happen with cruising in the next years.

Why bother to post this? I’m interested to know if others think cruising, via Windstar or any other line, will resume in the near term. It’s reasonable to suggest cruising would resume after wide availability of an effective vaccine. But that vaccine still is out of reach and, whilst, there is much hoopla, there is little concrete info, so ... who knows. I suggest cruising is unlikely to resume until there is a reliable vaccine. Reliability is key. First generation vaccines may not be more than 50% effective. 

And, is anyone else annoyed that Windstar (and other cruise lines) continue to advertise and pretend cruising will resume in the near term?

So Windstar is now canceling January 2021 cruises? I have a Jan. 14 Tahiti cruise on Wind Spirit that is still showing as a go. My final payment is due Oct. 6, but Ian reluctant to make it if the cruise will be cancelled. I do not want a FCC with Windstar as I have no idea when or if I would sail with them before the3 end of 2021. At this rate it is iffy if they will survive.

What date was your Panama Canal cruise? Jan. 23 is still available. Maybe your sailing was taken over by a charter.

Edited by susiesan

Here is my two cents.

Cruising has resumed in Europe, starting with river cruises,  cruise in the mediterranean are starting up, but are only available to those who live with in the Schengen area.  I will watch closely - I am very curious.

I think Windstar will resume cruising in Tahiti in October.  I am not sure how long it will last, but I think it is a go.  I can't see much stopping it.

Personally, I am seriously considering going in December on Windsurf for 14 day cruise.  Even though I have done it in the past, it will be relaxing and like visiting old friends.

The CDC is accepting comments about return to cruising.  Their guidelines are bit ridiculous (like a cruise operator might have  a designated person to take responsibility for sickness). No one can stop sickness.  Anyways, I  encourage everyone to give them feedback. It is one way democracy works.  It will become public record.

I believe there will be a lot of start and stops to cruising before it fully ramps back up.

Other unsolicited comments.   

If you are nervous about the situation, stay home, stay safe.  Only do what you think is acceptable risk for yourself.  

Long haul flights have resumed (ie NY to Tokyo) where people are jammed in with 300+ strangers, literally shoulder to shoulder - this is worse than ANY cruise. It is a petri dish.  I think flying to your cruise will be more dangerous.  

I have not seen an end game for the current situation.  Meaning what is the path out of it? How will this go away?  I assume it is a vaccine - but it has never been said we will remove lockdown when a vaccine is released. As a point of note, this vaccine will never  be 100% effective. It is likely to have the efficacy of the the current flu vaccines you receive. 

There are four vaccines that look promising for q4 2020 or q1 2021 delivery.  1 is in Wuhan, China, 1 is in the UK with cooperation with Astra Zeneca and Oxford, 2 is in the USA with NIH/Moderna and Pfizer.  You can google to get more information. These vaccines (on a hope they will be good enough) are already being manufactured by governments.  So when it is approved, there will be stock.  it is possible all 4 will be duds, but it is unlikely.

All the best to everyone.  Happy cruising when you are ready.

PS: your cruise might be back on.  It is again listed on their website (or a replacement version)

• Like 1

The current news from Tahiti:

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/43-nouveaux-cas-de-Covid-19-des-analyses-toujours-en-cours_a193349.html

43 more cases, 2 brought in from visitors and the rest in the community. This does not bode well for Windstar resuming their Tahiti cruises in October. it is possible FP will close their borders again.

I am looking at a Star Breeze cruise from San Juan in dec. or Jan. as a substitute for my January Tahiti cruise if it is cancelled. But at this point the breeze is still in Europe, docked at palermo. The first SJU cruise is scheduled for Dec. 13 but that will only happen if the CDC allows cruising from US ports and the ship actually does a crossing in December. I also looked at Wind Surf sailings in Dec. and Jan. but I cannot get reasonable flights to St. Martin due to the schedule cutback from AA which is the airline I would be using. I can get to SJU , I will be using AA miles for the flights. But I am not going to book anything unless Windstar moves back the final payment date.

Another serious consideration besides the embarkation port are the ports of call.

We've been following the status of the British Virgin Islands because we go twice a year and over New Years. They haven't even started to let non-resident work permit holders back in let alone tourists. Based on updates are not confident about our holiday land trip (fingers crossed though) and there has been no talk of opening to cruise ships this year. Testing requirements are in place for a majority of the Caribbean region and in some cases, even a 14-day quarantine for those coming from the US due to high risk.

No crystal ball and a lot can change over the next few months, but those regions that have opened back up have seen a spike in COVID cases and are reverting back to restrictions until they can plan next steps.

I have several cruises booked for next year understanding that some if not all of them may be cancelled. The first one is Costa Rica on the Wind Star in late January. We very well may opt out before final payment since final payment is due two months before the ship begins sailing. But my biggest fear is not the virus (maybe it should be) but being on a ship with a positive case identified on board and being quarantined in a 188 square foot sailing ship cabin. 

On 8/8/2020 at 9:32 AM, susiesan said:

So Windstar is now canceling January 2021 cruises? I have a Jan. 14 Tahiti cruise on Wind Spirit that is still showing as a go. My final payment is due Oct. 6, but Ian reluctant to make it if the cruise will be cancelled. I do not want a FCC with Windstar as I have no idea when or if I would sail with them before the3 end of 2021. At this rate it is iffy if they will survive.

What date was your Panama Canal cruise? Jan. 23 is still available. Maybe your sailing was taken over by a charter.

We have a december 3, 2020 cruise planned.  Our final payment is in September and from what I am seeing, I want to cancel.

I'm leaning in that direction myself, bplazo. Where is your Dec. 3 cruise? Is it Tahiti?

Now FP has 71 cases and the government is starting to impose more restrictions on restaurants, gatherings, wearing masks. This does not sound like it will be a fun and relaxing vacation.

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Tour-de-vis-sanitaire-face-a-la-deferlante-Covid_a193385.html

22 hours ago, r&rd said:

I have several cruises booked for next year understanding that some if not all of them may be cancelled. The first one is Costa Rica on the Wind Star in late January. We very well may opt out before final payment since final payment is due two months before the ship begins sailing. But my biggest fear is not the virus (maybe it should be) but being on a ship with a positive case identified on board and being quarantined in a 188 square foot sailing ship cabin. 

Final payment due date is generally three months (really 90 days) before, not two.

9 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

Final payment due date is generally three months (really 90 days) before, not two.

I knew that - I guess this whole situation changed my sense of timing! My payment is due November 1 and my cruise is the end of January - so in my head I think two months. 

Since Windstar has not cancelled the October Wind Spirit Tahiti cruises per CDC no sail order, and Wind Spirit is heading in that direction, currently docked at Noumea, Fiji, I wonder if this means Wind Spirit will be resuming in FP in October? I wouldn't think Windstar would send the ship all the way over there just to stay docked in Papeete.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=8603509

Where do you see that it has gotten underway?

I am hoping this is true.

The first cruise is scheduled for 10/8 which is a chartered LGBT cruise.

Then we board 10/15.

My biggest concern is spending four hours in LAX not touching anything and constantly disinfecting myself.

Plan to take a 20" roller (checked) filled with cleaning supplies (4 days pre and 3 days post) for the land and sea.

30 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Where do you see that it has gotten underway?

I am hoping this is true.

The first cruise is scheduled for 10/8 which is a chartered LGBT cruise.

Then we board 10/15.

My biggest concern is spending four hours in LAX not touching anything and constantly disinfecting myself.

Plan to take a 20" roller (checked) filled with cleaning supplies (4 days pre and 3 days post) for the land and sea.

Hand sanitizers are usually flammable liquids so you ought to verify beforehand that you can pack a bag full of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, susiesan said:

I'm leaning in that direction myself, bplazo. Where is your Dec. 3 cruise? Is it Tahiti?

Now FP has 71 cases and the government is starting to impose more restrictions on restaurants, gatherings, wearing masks. This does not sound like it will be a fun and relaxing vacation.

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Tour-de-vis-sanitaire-face-a-la-deferlante-Covid_a193385.html

Yes, it was Tahiti,  and we cancelled it yesterday.  We were able to get all our airfare back.