Staycation - Warners

Guest ccpm

I took the recommendation from posters here and went for 3 days to Warners. My review - it was fine not great just fine. In the light of present times it was a much needed break so 4 stars. In other times maybe 2 stars. Nothing wrong just nothing out of the ordinary (in better times) and definitely nothing great other than it was a break. Did I enjoy it? You can be sure I did. Food was fine, rooms were fine, service was fine. I would have given it 2 stars if all was normal. Anything to complain about? No never. Would I recommend it - for what it was yes. For me - no. I tend to expect to pay up for a product that meets my expectations and review accordingly. This was a break where I would not normally be just because it was available and I needed a break. I liked but didn't love it but it was fine and met the bill but didn't wow. I hope that I have been fair for what it was at a time when options were few it met a need but didn't make me want to go back. BUT I was grateful for the recommendation and enjoyed it for what it was and a much needed break  

Glad to hear you enjoyed your break. Warner Hotels are not to everyone's taste. My personal rating based on several stays would be 3 star food and entertainment, 4 star bedrooms based on a 'signature' grade or above in one of the Historic or Coastal hotels and 3 star in the 'village' resorts. The original buildings in the Historic Hotels are lovely and grounds are normally nice too.

They are certainly not 5-star properties but give good value for money.

Hope you feel suitably refreshed after your break.

• Like 2

Excuse me for butting in ccpm! I have done almost all of my Warner Breaks solo. They don't organise anything specific for solos and normally allocate you a table of your own for the duration of your break. In all the properties I have been to, the tables are fairly close together and I have been able to talk to couples either side of me. One of the things I enjoy is the entertainment that is on every night. That means you are not sat in a bar reading a book - unless you want to. There are also lots of daytime activities you can sign up to if you wish, from a group stroll with one of the entertainment team to things like archery and pistol shooting!

Should you decide to try one at some point, I would recommend that you call them to book rather than do it on line. They have a list of dates and hotels that are available without a solo supplement.

• Like 1

I’ve been to Sinah Warren and Littlecote and enjoyed them both. Both times we stayed in a Signature room, which had been recently refurbished. 

They usually lay on a coach outing for a reasonable extra cost, if you want to see more of the area and want a rest from driving.

The food is perfectly acceptable and the evening entertainment reminds me a bit of cruising. Indeed, I remember seeing a comedian at Sinah Warren that we’d seen a few months earlier on CMV’s Columbus.

I have a feeling that my future holds more Warner’s breaks 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Glad to hear you enjoyed your break. Warner Hotels are not to everyone's taste. My personal rating based on several stays would be 3 star food and entertainment, 4 star bedrooms based on a 'signature' grade or above in one of the Historic or Coastal hotels and 3 star in the 'village' resorts. The original buildings in the Historic Hotels are lovely and grounds are normally nice too.

They are certainly not 5-star properties but give good value for money.

Hope you feel suitably refreshed after your break.

When we stayed at Sinah Warren, we did a coach trip to Chichester, and they picked up more passengers at the other Warner’s property on Hayling Island - the Lakeside. Village. I think our hotel looked much nicer than the village. I’d definitely pick a hotel over the village

When I was at Littlecote in March, they did tours round the historic  house. I noticed there were bedrooms in the historic house - but it looked a bit too spooky for me! 😂

• Like 1

Yes, stayed at  Alvastone. Like the dining arrangement, pre-covid, where your dining  table was also your table for the evening entertainment. Not far from Chester for a ride out. Overall, most of the hotels are of a similar standard. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Has anyone stayed at either Alvaston Hall or Thoresby Hall and if so what were your impressions? 

I stayed at Thoresby Hall in January and thought it was lovely. Most of the bedrooms are in the new wing, which is attached to the Old Hall and can be a bit of a walk. If you have any mobility difficulties, ask for a room closer to the Old Hall. Funnily enough, it was the only one where they have put me on a table with another person. Very strangely, after the first couple of days we worked out that we vaguely knew each other from somewhere totally different! It is the nicest one I have stayed at so far. I have (hopefully) attached some photos for you too see the hall.

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that Alvaston has a combined restaurant/cabaret venue, which I tend to avoid as I don't want to spend the entire evening in the one room.

20200128_141423.jpg

20200128_142052.jpg

20200128_184523.jpg

20200128_184441.jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Has anyone stayed at either Alvaston Hall or Thoresby Hall and if so what were your impressions? 

We've  stayed in both. I prefered Thoresby Hall better grounds and food. Unlike Swaddy I didn't like Alvaston Hall because of the evening arrangement. I like to go for a walk after dinner and don't like being crammed in. Thoresby Hall has a seperate entertainment room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

I took the recommendation from posters here and went for 3 days to Warners. My review - it was fine not great just fine. In the light of present times it was a much needed break so 4 stars. In other times maybe 2 stars. Nothing wrong just nothing out of the ordinary (in better times) and definitely nothing great other than it was a break. Did I enjoy it? You can be sure I did. Food was fine, rooms were fine, service was fine. I would have given it 2 stars if all was normal. Anything to complain about? No never. Would I recommend it - for what it was yes. For me - no. I tend to expect to pay up for a product that meets my expectations and review accordingly. This was a break where I would not normally be just because it was available and I needed a break. I liked but didn't love it but it was fine and met the bill but didn't wow. I hope that I have been fair for what it was at a time when options were few it met a need but didn't make me want to go back. BUT I was grateful for the recommendation and enjoyed it for what it was and a much needed break  

Ccpm can I ask which hotel you stayed in?

22 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We loved Thoresby Hall, but it was a few years ago. 

Beautiful building and superb dining options from memory. 

Andy 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Hi ann141

We have stayed at Thoresby Hall and had a wonderful break.  The main Hall is very impressive as too was the gardens and grounds.  The food in the bistro was good for both breakfast and dinner.  They also have an a la cart restaurant (blue room?) which made for an extra special evening.  My wife enjoyed the Spa facilities whilst I enjoyed a game of snooker in the drawing room.  Evening entertainment was surprisingly good (resident band and then featured guests, vocalist, comedian) but that’s always a matter of personal taste.  

Just before Covid took hold we wanted to explore Stratford upon Avon and choose Warner’s Studley Castle as our base.  Again, we had a great time and would revisit.

Regards

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We loved Thoresby Hall, but it was a few years ago. 

Beautiful building and superb dining options from memory. 

Andy 

I don't remember when we were there but there was an Italian restaurant (extra charge). We had lunch one day and it was excellent.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I stayed at Thoresby Hall in January and thought it was lovely. Most of the bedrooms are in the new wing, which is attached to the Old Hall and can be a bit of a walk. If you have any mobility difficulties, ask for a room closer to the Old Hall. Funnily enough, it was the only one where they have put me on a table with another person. Very strangely, after the first couple of days we worked out that we vaguely knew each other from somewhere totally different! It is the nicest one I have stayed at so far. I have (hopefully) attached some photos for you too see the hall.

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that Alvaston has a combined restaurant/cabaret venue, which I tend to avoid as I don't want to spend the entire evening in the one room.

20200128_141423.jpg

20200128_142052.jpg

20200128_184523.jpg

20200128_184441.jpg

Great photos.

Thank you for all your replies.It looks like Thoresby Hall is the favourite. If we book and like it we may try Alvaston as well

Cruise Critic meet up??!!!

Edited by ann141
  • Like 5

Had a 2 night break at Studley Castle,entertainment was held out side which was ok but the evenings were cold.later in the evening they had a an almost live show that had been recorded at the castle.Meals  were all table service and all tables 2 mts apart you kept same table for stay,Food was hot and a good choice,i understand normally its a buffet resturant.Didn t use pool etc but it was open 

We were in a patio room which was quiet and a lot larger than a ships cabin  all in all it was a nice short break would revisit for a longer break next time 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Thank you for all your replies.It looks like Thoresby Hall is the favourite. If we book and like it we may try Alvaston as well

Cruise Critic meet up??!!!

If you do - and you enjoy it, you would also like Nidd Hall, near Harrogate.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, gosport11 said:

Had a 2 night break at Studley Castle,entertainment was held out side which was ok but the evenings were cold.later in the evening they had a an almost live show that had been recorded at the castle.Meals  were all table service and all tables 2 mts apart you kept same table for stay,Food was hot and a good choice,i understand normally its a buffet resturant.Didn t use pool etc but it was open 

We were in a patio room which was quiet and a lot larger than a ships cabin  all in all it was a nice short break would revisit for a longer break next time 

Under normal circumstances, you have the choice of both buffet fare and several choices for each course to be served to you at table. I mostly choose from the 'served at table' items.

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve been to Sinah Warren and Littlecote and enjoyed them both. Both times we stayed in a Signature room, which had been recently refurbished. 

They usually lay on a coach outing for a reasonable extra cost, if you want to see more of the area and want a rest from driving.

The food is perfectly acceptable and the evening entertainment reminds me a bit of cruising. Indeed, I remember seeing a comedian at Sinah Warren that we’d seen a few months earlier on CMV’s Columbus.

I have a feeling that my future holds more Warner’s breaks 

I’ve  been to those two! Rooms were lovely. Didn’t think the food was overly special, was ok but rather “British”. The tour of Littlecote was very good, well worth the small charge.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Here’s Littlecote. I was there in March on my 60th birthday. Lovely grounds to walk round, they even have their own Roman mosaic. We had an afternoon tea on my birthday.

ECA4522A-2F67-4C28-BB19-5DEB9B13EBB9.jpeg

A729FF34-9918-4DC9-8EED-67A4E4B55B33.jpeg

73FAA0C7-166C-4A58-A23C-107FABEEF63B.jpeg

66F5B25B-F8E3-4904-BC94-A57EC2CD5EB2.jpeg

8CF6986B-FBAB-4D4F-8FF9-206B54ACB6D7.jpeg

It looks lovely.Its on my To Do list too 🙂 

• Like 1