Staycation - Warners

Guest ccpm

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Glad to read this as looking to book Cricket St Thomas for December. 

Could you give us a little info on how the social distancing etc is being managed? 

Thanks in advance.. 

Andy

They have asked us to book our dining times, with 15 minutes increments. We have booked the breakfast but not the evening meal yet. I'm wondering what time the entertainment starts. 

On the link to go the learn more button for we're ready for more info on social distancing.

https://www.warnerleisurehotels.co.uk/offers/2020-holidays

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, emam said:

They have asked us to book our dining times, with 15 minutes increments. We have booked the breakfast but not the evening meal yet. I'm wondering what time the entertainment starts. 

On the link to go the learn more button for we're ready for more info on social distancing.

https://www.warnerleisurehotels.co.uk/offers/2020-holidays

Probably best to ring the hotel and ask them. I expect the usual schedules will have been changed in the current situation.

7 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Probably best to ring the hotel and ask them. I expect the usual schedules will have been changed in the current situation.

I was thinking about that but haven't had a chance yet.

I think in the current situation they are doing 2 separate evening shows to cope with the social distancing. We are regulars at Warners, and thoroughly enjoy the freedom you get. We have done Littlecote in the past, but now living in Norfolk, we favour Gunton Hall near Lowestoft. We love their Big Band breaks, and will be there in November for the Tony Jacobs band, for the 2nd year in a row. We also go every year for the Len Phillips band. We will also be there for Christmas, and have break booked at Thoresby next year, to explore a bit of Nottinghamshire.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

I was hoping the op would enlighten us on how it is actually working, rather than Warners telling us. 

Andy 

2 hours ago, dorsetlad said:

I think in the current situation they are doing 2 separate evening shows to cope with the social distancing. We are regulars at Warners, and thoroughly enjoy the freedom you get. We have done Littlecote in the past, but now living in Norfolk, we favour Gunton Hall near Lowestoft. We love their Big Band breaks, and will be there in November for the Tony Jacobs band, for the 2nd year in a row. We also go every year for the Len Phillips band. We will also be there for Christmas, and have break booked at Thoresby next year, to explore a bit of Nottinghamshire.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but I visited three places when I was there earlier this year and would recommend all of them - dependent on what you enjoy. Clumber Park (NT), Rufford Abbey (ruins) & Country Park and the National Holocaust Centre in Laxton. They are all close to Thoresby.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but I visited three places when I was there earlier this year and would recommend all of them - dependent on what you enjoy. Clumber Park (NT), Rufford Abbey (ruins) & Country Park and the National Holocaust Centre in Laxton. They are all close to Thoresby.

Thanks Andrew, think all of those would interest us, even the Holocaust Centre, as in my younger days in the army, I was stationed next to Belsen concentration camp. This was of course after the war, ( 1964) , but still fresh enough to leave a lasting impression. Sorry for the thread drift.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dorsetlad said:

Thanks Andrew, think all of those would interest us, even the Holocaust Centre, as in my younger days in the army, I was stationed next to Belsen concentration camp. This was of course after the war, ( 1964) , but still fresh enough to leave a lasting impression. Sorry for the thread drift.

Whilst of course very moving, the Holocaust Centre is also very well done. They are working through a fantastic project of filming Survivors (who live in the UK) answering hundreds of questions. In the future, people will be able to pose a question to one of these on film and a computer programme will select the piece of film answering the question. A marvellous way to keep these vitally important issues 'alive'.

• Like 1

Some one asked where I stayed it was Gunton Hall. Edited to add measures were great sanitiser everywhere tables well distanced. I didn't do the evening entertainment as sod's law I had a bad migraine start on day one which wiped me out a bit. I just had the feeling that just as I wasn't at my best neither was the hotel. A very nice assistant manager I chatted to on day 3 said they were glad to be open but in his opinion the measures had dented the experience. I am going back as I live close by and I felt I didn't give it my best shot and they weren't able to give it theirs through no fault of their own. I can't comment on the singles experience as a whole as I was mostly either in the bar for a medicinal brandy or in my room with the lights out for one night and feeling way under par for 2 nights. 

Edited by ccpm

17 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Some one asked where I stayed it was Gunton Hall. Edited to add measures were great sanitiser everywhere tables well distanced. I didn't do the evening entertainment as sod's law I had a bad migraine start on day one which wiped me out a bit. I just had the feeling that just as I wasn't at my best neither was the hotel. A very nice assistant manager I chatted to on day 3 said they were glad to be open but in his opinion the measures had dented the experience. I am going back as I live close by and I felt I didn't give it my best shot and they weren't able to give it theirs through no fault of their own. I can't comment on the singles experience as a whole as I was mostly either in the bar for a medicinal brandy or in my room with the lights out for one night and feeling way under par for 2 nights. 

Glad you are going to try it again and hopefully you will have a better experience. 

33 minutes ago, ccpm said:

These sort of measures are bound to impact on the experience negatively. That's why I am not keen to cruise until this thing is over. If you are within reasonable distance, do try Thoresby Hall - it is definitely a more 'sophisticated' experience. I like Gunton Hall but love Thoresby.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

These sort of measures are bound to impact on the experience negatively. That's why I am not keen to cruise until this thing is over. If you are within reasonable distance, do try Thoresby Hall - it is definitely a more 'sophisticated' experience. I like Gunton Hall but love Thoresby.

We have been to Bodelwyddan in North Wales a couple of times. For the money, it is good value and the surroundings are great. If you book the wine tasting experience, you should hope the group is small. We had about 7-8 people and 6 bottles of wine. One bottle was disliked by everybody so they got us a different one which was much nicer. Didn’t learn a lot but few people, plenty of wine and no requirement to retain some of the wine in the bottle made the rest of the day more mellow. 🥴😴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

We have been to Bodelwyddan in North Wales a couple of times. For the money, it is good value and the surroundings are great. If you book the wine tasting experience, you should hope the group is small. We had about 7-8 people and 6 bottles of wine. One bottle was disliked by everybody so they got us a different one which was much nicer. Didn’t learn a lot but few people, plenty of wine and no requirement to retain some of the wine in the bottle made the rest of the day more mellow. 🥴😴

Yes, I have Bodelwyddan on my to do list too. I always thought it was too far away from me but having travelled to Anglesey with friends for Christmas last year, I now know the road network is much better than I thought.

• Like 1

Our staycation is a bit different going tomorrow.

My husband, son and I are staying in a luxury lodge with hot tub on a small holding farm in Somerset.

We could not be more socially distanced from people as only two lodges there.

Booked in for a meal at the local pub five minutes walk away lots of outdoor seating areas.

Off to Weymouth on Tuesday to see the ships.

Wednesday off to Bristol for the SS Great Britain.

Thursday off to Devon.

Friday visiting Fleet Air Museum

Then finishing off on Saturday at local vineyard on 10 miles away for some wine tasting.

Just looking forward to getting away need a holiday as we have both worked through the dark days now need a bit of normality .

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, poorer said:

Our staycation is a bit different going tomorrow.

My husband, son and I are staying in a luxury lodge with hot tub on a small holding farm in Somerset.

We could not be more socially distanced from people as only two lodges there.

Booked in for a meal at the local pub five minutes walk away lots of outdoor seating areas.

Off to Weymouth on Tuesday to see the ships.

Wednesday off to Bristol for the SS Great Britain.

Thursday off to Devon.

Friday visiting Fleet Air Museum

Then finishing off on Saturday at local vineyard on 10 miles away for some wine tasting.

Just looking forward to getting away need a holiday as we have both worked through the dark days now need a bit of normality .

Have a fantastic time, sounds wonderful. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Ccpm, can I say Gunton Hall is the worst Warner Hotel I have stayed in. If you tried somewhere else you would probably have a much better experience, i.e. hotel rather than resort.

9 minutes ago, happy v said:

Ccpm, can I say Gunton Hall is the worst Warner Hotel I have stayed in. If you tried somewhere else you would probably have a much better experience, i.e. hotel rather than resort.

Imho both Corton and Norton Grange are worse than Gunton... I do agree though that both the Coastal and Historic Hotels are much nicer.

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Imho both Corton and Norton Grange are worse than Gunton... I do agree though that both the Coastal and Historic Hotels are much nicer.

I stayed at Corton... Terrible place, crappy accommodation, bad food, poor entertainment and average age of 115...

Sounds like some people's reviews of P&O😂

Andy 

• Like 1

We've been to Corton as well, and equally disappointed with both the accommodation and the all in one restaurant and show lounge. For a more upmarket experience, you could always try Potters Resort, a couple of miles up the coast. Facilities are excellent, and it calls itself the only 5 star resort in the UK. Don't think I'd go that far, but it was good, although expensive.

• Like 1

I had a quick 2-night break at Corton. Nice room as I got a good late deal on a Garden Lodge with balcony and Sea View - nice, suite configuration with a fully separate bedroom and lounge. The food was okay but like Dorsetlad, I really didn't like the Cabaret Restaurant set-up, especially as the only bar is adjacent and you can't get away from the noise of the acts when on.

• Like 1

Just a note to say that I have just cancelled our weekend at Cricket St Thomas, which should have started 4 weeks today.  Apart from waiting in a phone queue for nearly15 minutes, the process was simple and no-quibble.  Full payment will be returned to my CC within 10 working days.

Stark contrast with you know who

Even if the pup wasn’t coming, I don’t think we would have gone on this break.  We haven’t been inside a restaurant yet - staying in a hotel and cabaret dining still feel like a step too far