Staycation - Warners

Guest ccpm

On 8/28/2020 at 10:14 PM, happy v said:

Thanks Emam. I'm slightly disappointed because when we were last there the food was very good.

I've decided not to go this year now. I can't get away with this mask wearing. Irritates me no end, so I'll have to wait until it is stopped.

I think I was more disappointed with the breakfast and the negatives always stand out more. The rest of the food was nice enough and we found 3 courses too much for us.  Guests wore the masks but none of the staff did.

I've been getting wrong off my kids for comparing it to a cruise and to the same hotel we have been using for years for odd weekends away.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wowzz said:

It's strange how everyone has changed their holiday expectations. 

We are off to a static caravan in Devon in late September,  and really looking forward to it. Our first proper holiday in the UK for 30 years! 

Lady W is talking me into buying a static caravan or a narrowboat. Done the boat previously - loved it, but I'm too old now to jump off the locks onto the boat. 

So, anyone know a small caravan park, less than 50 units, within 150 miles of Lincoln?

Most of our holiday's have been in caravan's and one of our conversations was that we may prefer those holiday's more. Apart from one other couple we were the youngest there. Try the Caravan Club sites, but I 'm not sure if they are for mainly tourers.

28 minutes ago, emam said:

Most of our holiday's have been in caravan's and one of our conversations was that we may prefer those holiday's more. Apart from one other couple we were the youngest there. Try the Caravan Club sites, but I 'm not sure if they are for mainly tourers.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Caravan Club is for tourers,  and I will never tow a caravan.

Hi 

We're off to Warners Gunton Hall for a 3 night stay - 18th Sept.

We went there a number of years ago and its was ok, so it will be interesting with social distancing in place. I'll let you know my views on return.

On the subject of staycations. I've booked Ruda caravan park Croyde Bay, Devon for June next year with our families and grand kids. No cruises for us for the foreseeable future; still loads of places in the UK to visit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Essex_uk said:

Hi 

We're off to Warners Gunton Hall for a 3 night stay - 18th Sept.

We went there a number of years ago and its was ok, so it will be interesting with social distancing in place. I'll let you know my views on return.

On the subject of staycations. I've booked Ruda caravan park Croyde Bay, Devon for June next year with our families and grand kids. No cruises for us for the foreseeable future; still loads of places in the UK to visit.

Have a great time, look forward to your review. 

Andy 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 7:05 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Have a great time, look forward to your review. 

Andy 

We have just got back from our second caravan/Lodge holiday in Cornwall. We felt quite safe. John Fowler in Bude and St Ives. I left short reviews on Trip Advisor. Mentioning that site should be ok as Expedia and trip advisor control Cruise critic. I can't get the naughty step for that, can I ??🤔

Edited by zap99
Punctuation
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

A brief feedback from our weekend stay at Warner’s on the IoW - Bembridge. Most points are covered in post #56. Check in was as you drove in but you then still had to queue up at reception to register your credit card for their cashless system 🤷‍♀️
You prebooked your dining times and we’re then allocated one of the two entertainment ‘sittings’ , we had 9.45pm (evening meal booked for 7.30pm). By the time we went, all bars and restaurants had to close at 10pm, so you could pre-order drinks for after that time, or to take back to your room. 
Contrary to reports elsewhere, service in the dining room was very good, in fact too fast at times 😂. Didn’t have a problem with food being cold but felt seriously underwhelmed by it - think school dinners. In the bar, drink orders were taken at your table and then promptly brought over from the bar. 
The entertainment overall was good; the resident group were OK but not great. However the entertainment team were very good and had excellent vocalists, which I felt, as a group, were in fact better than some of the production shows I have encountered on cruises! The Saturday night show, originally due to be a Motown set, was replaced at the last minute by a group, Soul Jam from Liverpool, which again were excellent.
In no way could it be compared to a cruise, though it reminded me of a number of things I miss whilst not cruising 😔. It served as a base to explore the island. Would we book again with Warner’s - doubtful unless it happened to be somewhere we wanted to visit and no suitable hotels were available. 

7 minutes ago, downsmead said:

A brief feedback from our weekend stay at Warner’s on the IoW - Bembridge. Most points are covered in post #56. Check in was as you drove in but you then still had to queue up at reception to register your credit card for their cashless system 🤷‍♀️
You prebooked your dining times and we’re then allocated one of the two entertainment ‘sittings’ , we had 9.45pm (evening meal booked for 7.30pm). By the time we went, all bars and restaurants had to close at 10pm, so you could pre-order drinks for after that time, or to take back to your room. 
Contrary to reports elsewhere, service in the dining room was very good, in fact too fast at times 😂. Didn’t have a problem with food being cold but felt seriously underwhelmed by it - think school dinners. In the bar, drink orders were taken at your table and then promptly brought over from the bar. 
The entertainment overall was good; the resident group were OK but not great. However the entertainment team were very good and had excellent vocalists, which I felt, as a group, were in fact better than some of the production shows I have encountered on cruises! The Saturday night show, originally due to be a Motown set, was replaced at the last minute by a group, Soul Jam from Liverpool, which again were excellent.
In no way could it be compared to a cruise, though it reminded me of a number of things I miss whilst not cruising 😔. It served as a base to explore the island. Would we book again with Warner’s - doubtful unless it happened to be somewhere we wanted to visit and no suitable hotels were available. 

Thanks for the review.

We arenot bothered about the entertainment,  so for us it makes sense just to book a nice hotel for a weekend,  rather than go to (sorry) a posh holiday camp.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for the review.

We arenot bothered about the entertainment,  so for us it makes sense just to book a nice hotel for a weekend,  rather than go to (sorry) a posh holiday camp.

Isn't cruising a posh holiday camp at sea? 

Andy 

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Isn't cruising a posh holiday camp at sea? 

Andy 

Yes, I suppose it is, but the main reason for going to Warners seems to be for the entertainment,  more than anything else, whereas with a cruise the entertainment is of no importance to us at all.  

17 hours ago, downsmead said:

I agree, and had not appreciated that Warner’s is now part of the Butlins group!! 🤦‍♀️😂.

Off this coming weekend to a 2 night hotel stay and so looking forward to that.

Bourne Leisure. They own Butlins, Warner and Haven. A private company that were doing very well, pre Covid.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who are Jane McD fans, she is going to appear at Warner Hotels next year.

We know how much you love our live shows, so for 2021 we’re going bigger with more talent than ever before. It kicks off with two soul classic festivals featuring pioneering broadcaster Trevor Nelson with stories and songs from his amazing career.
There’ll also be 60s and 80s festivals, incredible tributes, rock ’n’ roll, Broadway musicals and magic. That takes us to February.

Looking further forward, Jane McDonald, Lulu, and Brian Conley are star talents already confirmed, all promising those goosebumps moments that live in the memory forever.

Edited by emam
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I’d post here

Just had a letter (a real, old fashioned letter!) from Warner’s saying they’re closing all their sites from 27 Dec to 31 January, reopening February 1, 2021.  All monies paid will be held in a special account and can 

a) be used to rebook now

b) be left for now and used to rebook within 12 months

c) be refunded in full

We had a booking for the weekend after next, which I had no intention of using and which I had neglected to pay the balance.  So, thanks to Warner’s I shall be a few pounds better off!

Good business practice though?  Puts some (no names on this forum!) to shame.

• Like 3

We were due to stay at Warners Gunton Hall over Christmas and were phoned 2 days before we were due to go, saying that they were closing, and the break was cancelld. Refund on it's way. Shows how quickly things move, it was only 2 days previously that they phoned and gave us a complimentary upgrade to a suite. Hey no.🥳

Yesterday’s letter followed up by a phone call from Warner’s just now.  Chose the refund option - £70 will be back in my account in 21-28 days.  I hadn’t realised it was that much, so very happy to get that.  Sounds like a nice meal out (indoors!) 3 weeks after our vaccination

(Sorry about your Christmas, Dorsetlad)

Edited by Eddie99