Lose Insurance if we move to different cruise?

Lynne&Barry

We are booked on the Splendor 4-18-21 and are getting concerned with the Covid situation.  I checked with my TA on moving it to a cruise late in 2021.  He tells me we would lose the $1800 we have spent on their insurance, have to cancel the Splendor, then book a new cruise and buy insurance again.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Thank you.  

45 minutes ago, Lynne&Barry said:

He tells me we would lose the $1800 we have spent on their insurance, have to cancel the Splendor, then book a new cruise and buy insurance again.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

It is hard to say without knowing all the details.  But many travel insurance companies will let you move the policy from a cancelled booking to a new one, as long as you have no losses on the cancelled booking.  You should talk to whoever sold you the insurance policy, or the insurance company directly if that is not satisfactory.

• Like 1

We are on that cruise as well. Still hoping it will be a go. My TA said that the insurance could be transferred if the new cruise was booked at the same time the old one was cancelled. That is what I was told, do not know if it is correct. It may matter which insurance company.

21 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

It is hard to say without knowing all the details.  But many travel insurance companies will let you move the policy from a cancelled booking to a new one, as long as you have no losses on the cancelled booking.  You should talk to whoever sold you the insurance policy, or the insurance company directly if that is not satisfactory.

It is the Regent Insurance. 

19 minutes ago, Lynne&Barry said:

It is the Regent Insurance. 

Thank you for the information.  I normally avoid the insurance sponsored by any cruise line, but in that case it sounds like your TA should be well aware of how it works.  Unfortunate.

4 hours ago, Lynne&Barry said:

We are booked on the Splendor 4-18-21 and are getting concerned with the Covid situation.  I checked with my TA on moving it to a cruise late in 2021.  He tells me we would lose the $1800 we have spent on their insurance, have to cancel the Splendor, then book a new cruise and buy insurance again.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Thank you.  

Had to do this twice in the past years. Had insurance, but then Regent changed changed the itinerary big time (aka places we couldn't go...long story). Our TA worked with Regent to change our cruise to a different itinerary and...our insurance moved with us. Basically the amount we paid to the insurance was just applied a different cruise. Easy (and out TA was great). 

As you haven't made final payment for the 4/21 cruise, I wouldn't think you'd have paid for the insurance either yet. We usually sign up for insurance the day of Final Payment. 

2 hours ago, travelwell said:

Our insurance allowed us to moved with the policy from the 21 WC to the 22 WC.

Our company allowed us to do the same thing.  We only had to pay for the additional days.  We are insured through BH.

6 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

Our company allowed us to do the same thing.  We only had to pay for the additional days.  We are insured through BH.

Sadly it seems we were smart to change our itinerary last spring. Looking forward to meeting you in 17 months. Glad you were able to move your insurance also.

50 minutes ago, travelwell said:

Sadly it seems we were smart to change our itinerary last spring. Looking forward to meeting you in 17 months. Glad you were able to move your insurance also.

We look forward to meeting you both as well.  If, and when, we can finally leave home again we would like to get together with you before the cruise in Atlanta or somewhere close to it.  We live near Birmingham and go to Atlanta a lot for theater and seeing my son-in-law's family.

2 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

We look forward to meeting you both as well.  If, and when, we can finally leave home again we would like to get together with you before the cruise in Atlanta or somewhere close to it.  We live near Birmingham and go to Atlanta a lot for theater and seeing my son-in-law's family.

We would love it! We can drive to Birmingham too when it gets safer. I am in lovely Gwinnett  County that has the highest Covid in the state. Lisa

13 hours ago, travelwell said:

We would love it! We can drive to Birmingham too when it gets safer. I am in lovely Gwinnett  County that has the highest Covid in the state. Lisa

Welcome to our world.  We are in Jefferson County that has the highest rate in Alabama.  However, in our zip code of Jefferson County the rate is very low.  The state health dept. had to start reporting by zip code because there were such disparities within counties.  Hopefully, for both of us, the numbers will start coming down sooner rather than later.  Norma

Here's one case where the Insurance Co. will probably thank you for your donation to their building fund and refuse to move coverage to a future cruise:

A prominent Travel Insurance provider states "You have to cancel prior to the policy becoming active" or words to that effect.

What this means is if your cruise is cancelled while or after you are in your embarkation port and you started your coverage to coincide with your departure from home [aka covering your plane trip to the embarkation city] the Insurance Co. will say you benefited from coverage for that piece of your trip and the policy has been activated - even if no claim was made.

This happened with the infamous 14 March 2020 Splendor cruise where they cancelled on the 13th of March in conjunction with the COVID-19 / CDC shutdown.   Still haven't even gotten a set of plastic pens for the $1800.00 spent.  Probably last time I use that company...

5 hours ago, daetchief said:

This happened with the infamous 14 March 2020 Splendor cruise where they cancelled on the 13th of March in conjunction with the COVID-19 / CDC shutdown.   Still haven't even gotten a set of plastic pens for the $1800.00 spent.

Did you try making an expenses claim to Regent for the cost of the insurance?