Crusing out of italy?? Questions

mpdog42

Hi,

Have never sailed MSC but thinking of booking for next fall out of Italy...A couple of questions..

Will the announcments be in Italian/French/German/English?

What soda products will be offered Coke? Pepsi? any Diet soda?

Thanks and any advice you can offer would be appreciated

Mike

The announcements will be in multiple languages depending on the demographic of the passengers onboard. Expect English, Italian, french and German as standard. 

We've had coke and Pepsi products, sometimes both. Generally errs towards Pepsi in Europe though. 

You are going to find that MSC makes their ship announcements in many languages (which can vary depending on who is aboard).  On one hand it is nice that they do their best to communicate with everyone and on the other hand it can be annoying listening to a short announcement go on and on and on as they translate into many languages.  The staff have various language skills although we have not had a problem using English on the ships.   Since you are not sailing until next fall you still have time to learn a couple of other languages to help you through the cruise :).

Hank

• Like 1

Announcements will be in several languages indeed, but as far as I can remember from my MSC Seaview cruise in de med last summer it were only one or two announcements per day. However, maybe we missed some while in our cabin or on land. Some might find it annoying, but as a European myself I'm quite used to multi-lingual announcements (even in public transport in my country most announcements are in 2 or even 3 languages). The only thing (person) multi-lingual I found annoying was the cruise director who opened the theatre show in the exact same high-speed-7-languages-yadayada-words EVERY DAY. Might have been proficient linguistically, it was disappointing creatively.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, NJ CRUISE said:

Ok

How about English with the following;

Ordering in the dining room,

Talking to the bar tenders,

Lido deck DJ,

and is there Bud Light on board???

Ordering in the dining room in English works fine.

Most of the bartenders we encountered could communicate in at least some english.

Lido deck DJ?  don't know, never tried to talk to the DJ.

Any Bud Light on board?  NO! thank God,  🙂 At least not on european cruises that we have been on.

Edited by crazyank

10 hours ago, NJ CRUISE said:

Ok

How about English with the following;

Ordering in the dining room,

Talking to the bar tenders,

Lido deck DJ,

and is there Bud Light on board???

Just take a deep breath and relax :).  Since we have traveled and cruised extensively (all over the world) one very common question we are asked has to do with the language barrier.  On a cruise ship you will find that most of the staff who must interact with passengers will either be fluent or have working knowledge of English.  On more then 1200 days of cruising we have never encountered a language issue that could not be quickly resolved.  And do not fear, the bar tenders know all the drinks in just about any language.  As to a DJ, they are generally part of the Cruise Director's Staff and will speak multiple languages.  When playing music on the Lido deck they primarily play music and do not do a lot or any talking.

As to Bud Light (I call it watered down beer) it is normally available on ever cruise line.  Believe it or not....but Bud Light is quite popular in Europe and many cruise lines stock the aluminum bottles.  Beer lovers never go thirsty on any cruise ship :).

Hank

Thanks for the responses,

I like Bud Light but as stated I'm sure to find something good.

Been on cruises to the Caribbean,  not to Europe yet, but hoping in a year or two.

As to the DJ, we usually don't talk to them but was more wondering if it would be popular music by the pool similar to the Caribbean.

Some of these 7-9 day Mediterranean  itineraries stop at 4-5 countries, couldn't imagine a better way to see a nice slice of European culture.

Re conversing with crew:  We realized that if we make the first move, all is good.  A crew member has no idea what language you speak, but once we say "good morning" or "thank you", we've established our language choice.

I will also have to agree with the above that although announcements are repeated in several languages, they are few and far between.  No all-day reminders about bingo, art auction, shops, special drinks, etc.  Just the basics.  They didn't bother us.