Where was I?

55 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Standing stones of Stenness

Correct, Mic.  Older than Stonehenge.  Unfortunately the farmer who had the rights to the land grew tired of mowing around them and brought in equipment and had a few stones flattened.  Local outrage ensued and UNESCO stepped in.  It’s now, rightfully, a protected site.

Your turn.

18 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Correct, Mic.  Older than Stonehenge.  Unfortunately the farmer who had the rights to the land grew tired of mowing around them and brought in equipment and had a few stones flattened.  Local outrage ensued and UNESCO stepped in.  It’s now, rightfully, a protected site.

Your turn.

Meh. Old, but ever so boring.

Same sort of stuff in the Orkneys, near Kirkwall.

You drag yourself through a paddock and ho-hum. A few stones.

30 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Meh. Old, but ever so boring.

Same sort of stuff in the Orkneys, near Kirkwall.

You drag yourself through a paddock and ho-hum. A few stones.

You haven’t travelled much?  Stenness stones are in The Orkneys.  The rich cultural and archeological history of these sites is so fascinating.  You need a modicum of cerebral material, of course, in order to appreciate their significance in our evolution.  In order to know where we’re going, we need to understand where we’ve been.

• Thanks 2

I think a lot of landmarks and natural wonders can be viewed either as something interesting or something boring depending on your view, interest and mood.

I remember an American saying 'Uluru was just a big rock in the middle of nowhere' and I said ' yeah, just like the Grand Canyon is a big hole and the Pyramids are a pile of blocks'. He didn't know how to take that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

The blue grotto, Capri.

Yep, sure is. I had a broken collarbone and my arm in a sling at the time. To get into the grotto you went from a larger tourist boat, climbing down a ladder on the side, into the rowboats, all done by me with one arm. The entrance is tiny so we had to lean back horizontally and remove our sunglasses, to avoid scratches, to get in there. The colours are stunning and were something to do with a phenomenon of a deep underwater opening that let the light in from underneath.

Your turn 😊

• Like 2