Where was I?

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Quite high about 13,000 feet, you have cocoa tea when you get there from sea level at Lima, for the altitude, we had 3 days there before the train to Macchu Picchu and two nights at Aguas Calientes, town of Macchu Picchu and suffered badly from Altitude Sickness, took diamox too, still got crook, but worth it for the experience. Guinea Pig is nice there, tastes like chicken, just be wary of the roadside bbq, dogs !!!

Yes, it can affect people badly and fitness has nothing to do with it.

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, it can affect people badly and fitness has nothing to do with it.

Yep, even an Olympic athlete could suffer and I was only in my late 50's when we did Macchu Picchu, other couple of times we visited Lima, when my son was living there, we stayed at sea level.  My son's company has had a couple of clients die on the Inca Trail over the years, not that old either.  Had a couple die on the Antartcic Expedition Cruises too, now that gave the deceased's travel insurance company a workout , like extraction by the Chilean and/or Argentine Airforce and flights home from Santiago.

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yep, even an Olympic athlete could suffer and I was only in my late 50's when we did Macchu Picchu, other couple of times we visited Lima, when my son was living there, we stayed at sea level.

Machu Pichu is only at around 7,000 feet as opposed to Costco -sorry Cuzco, at 13,000.

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Machu Pichu is only at around 7,000 feet as opposed to Costco -sorry Cuzco, at 13,000.

I stand corrected Cusco 11,000 feet, Macchu Picchu 8,000 feet, too high for me.

Name is now offically Cusco, the Mayor changed the name from Cuzco some 40 years ago because of the z letter.  Locals refer to it as Cusco.  Now Mic, there is no Costco in Cusco either.  KFC and Maccas, probably by now.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Athabasca, but I will call it Alice. I did some white water rafting on the river further down stream.

Correct

We hired a car from Vancouver and drove around,IMG_7065.thumb.jpeg.3966cdfae8a5fc72df6b4cbd0459aebb.jpeg the drive from Jasper down the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise is one that you should not miss.We where so lucky when we arrived at this glacier they had just opened the tour up to the glacier, we where in the first group to go up.This is what you go up in.

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

yes, spent my 50th there on a birthday cruise with around 20 friends and family.

Even though I live only across the bay had never been until 3 weeks ago. Took my wife for a whale watching cruise on her birthday. Tangalooma is the staging point.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hiroshima Peace Park.

Thats the place. We were there last year and took a very interesting tour of the mazda factory. Was astounded to learn oysters are being farmed in the local river.

Had a very spacious apartment in Kyoto and took day trips by bullet train most days using JR pass. Every day provided new experiences.