Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

8 hours ago, sogne said:

well done yes taken 2009 from QV enroutre  to Ny Alesund

That is "remote"!! 

Interesting that QV went that far north in 2009.  Perhaps the northernmost cruise-by ever for a Cunard ship  (74.45° N, 19.11° E)?  Tromso is "only" 69.65° N

I'm back after leaving town for a few days just before the Bear Island photo was identified. That one had me stumped for sure.

Here is another image from my webcam archives. This is a port we have seen before. This time it's a view from one of the ship's bridge webcams back when we could actually see those webcam images.

80130_WhereintheWorld(106).jpg.44a0c40ad971395ef51d7a6c6b20dba3.jpg

13 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here is another image from my webcam archives. This is a port we have seen before. This time it's a view from one of the ship's bridge webcams back when we could actually see those webcam images.

80130_WhereintheWorld(106).jpg.44a0c40ad971395ef51d7a6c6b20dba3.jpg

Looks like this could be Civitavecchia Italy?  If so, it is prior to the construction of the Amerigo Vespucci cruise terminal, which would date this bridgecam from before 2018.  The building in the distance, just prior to the bend in the pier, looks like the Terminal Bramante.  The Cunard ship is likely to be QV?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sfred said:

Looks like this could be Civitavecchia Italy?  If so, it is prior to the construction of the Amerigo Vespucci cruise terminal, which would date this bridgecam from before 2018.  The building in the distance, just prior to the bend in the pier, looks like the Terminal Bramante.  The Cunard ship is likely to be QV?

Very good. That happens to be a bridgecam image from QE rather than QV, but it is indeed showing an older view of Civitavecchia. The date of the image is May 29, 2012.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Very good. That happens to be a bridgecam image from QE rather than QV, but it is indeed showing an older view of Civitavecchia. The date of the image is May 29, 2012.

I'm afraid I can't identify the other ship in the bridgecam.  The funnel looks like it could be Grimaldi Lines, but those ships usually have large Grimaldi Lines lettering along the hull.  Although perhaps they didn't in 2012?

2 hours ago, sfred said:

I'm afraid I can't identify the other ship in the bridgecam.  The funnel looks like it could be Grimaldi Lines, but those ships usually have large Grimaldi Lines lettering along the hull.  Although perhaps they didn't in 2012?

I'm having difficulty identifying that other ship too. Here are the two original webcam images I have captured 6 minutes apart in case this helps any. The first image might offer some clues since it indicates where that ship was docked. The second image is what I posted previously including the timestamp.

qel-20120529.jpg.87d9e594e28d8174464e1e3e4295c2f3.jpg

qel-20120529b.jpg

Edited by bluemarble

10 hours ago, sfred said:

Here is another already seen Cunard port, but I don't think we've had this particular view yet.  Dual fans of shipping and aviation will probably recognise the port and airport.

image.thumb.png.79cf3fd27585ee34b90c14be9e309b75.png

Time to give this one a go. I think this is Boston, Massachusetts. Specifically, I think we are looking at the approach to runway 4R at Boston Logan International Airport on the way to/from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Time to give this one a go. I think this is Boston, Massachusetts. Specifically, I think we are looking at the approach to runway 4R at Boston Logan International Airport on the way to/from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal.

Absolutely correct, well done @bluemarble.  The photo was taken on 12 July 2015, at dawn on QM2's arrival into Boston on the 175th anniversary westbound TA. 

A key clue in the photo is the Logan control tower silhouetted on the horizon at the left side, which has a rather distinctive shape. 

The channel to the Black Falcon cruise terminal and other Boston piers passes very close to the end of Logan runway 4R.  If Logan is using that runway for arrivals, aircraft landings have to be temporarily suspended during the passage of any ship of moderate height.

3 hours ago, Starboardhome said:

Another “already seen” Cunard port of call. I suspect this will take seconds for @sfred or @bluemarble to identify.

360FF594-3DA3-4142-BA85-0BD889A2BDCE.jpeg

Oh, I'm late to the game on this one! Thanks for this additional contribution to our game. Something tells me @Lanky Lad will recognize this one when he sees it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Starboardhome said:

Another “already seen” Cunard port of call. I suspect this will take seconds for @sfred or @bluemarble to identify.

Actually, I'm stumped.  There are a lot of good clues (colours and shapes of cargo cranes, pier configurations, what looks like ITS on one of the tanks, what looks like a Clarion hotel chain sign), but I haven't found any matches.

14 hours ago, Starboardhome said:

360FF594-3DA3-4142-BA85-0BD889A2BDCE.jpeg

OK, I'll go ahead and identify this one now. It's Cape Town, South Africa. My earlier mention of @Lanky Lad was a reference to his photo in post #1140 which was the first time we saw Cape Town on this thread. There have been a few changes since that first photo with QE2 in it such as all those storage tanks which are now on the dock at center right and more buildings on shore.

6 hours ago, Starboardhome said:

Correct. Photo was taken from Signal Hill,  Cape Town, January 26, 2018. You are unbeatable at this game! I will look into my archives to find something more challenging. Well done.

Ah - yes, of course!

I was looking in the wrong places.  What I thought was an ITS sign on one of the petroleum tanks is actually FFS Refiners.  And what I thought was Clarion hotels is actually the City Lodge Hotel V&A Waterfront.  These two errors sent me to the wrong places.

It was a good challenge for me, thanks @Starboardhome.  But we all have to be sharp on our game to take on @bluemarble.  Look forward to some more photos from your files.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:20 PM, bluemarble said:

I'm having difficulty identifying that other ship too. Here are the two original webcam images I have captured 6 minutes apart in case this helps any. The first image might offer some clues since it indicates where that ship was docked. The second image is what I posted previously including the timestamp.

qel-20120529.jpg.87d9e594e28d8174464e1e3e4295c2f3.jpg

qel-20120529b.jpg

Going back to this, I think the ship is Horizon of Pullmantur, formerly Celebrity.  EM

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Going back to this, I think the ship is Horizon of Pullmantur, formerly Celebrity.  EM

Ah, very good. That is Horizon. She's lacking the wavy Pullmantur logo on the side but back in May 2012 she would have only had "Croisieres de France" lettering near the stern where we can see a white patch on the webcam image (the white patch near the bow would be the name "Horizon"). Thank you for that identification.

8 hours ago, Starboardhome said:

Correct. Photo was taken from Signal Hill,  Cape Town, January 26, 2018. You are unbeatable at this game! I will look into my archives to find something more challenging. Well done.

My picture was from Nov 2000 so not surprising things have changed.

Here's a rather devious photo of mine showing a port we've seen already. I've deliberately picked a photo without any signage to aid the identification but just enough features to be able to identify it if you happen to recognize the location or know where to search. Happy hunting.

1644758412_WhereintheWorld(106).thumb.jpg.772699022f7f08b6fc57cbbda93a1781.jpg

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a rather devious photo of mine showing a port we've seen already. I've deliberately picked a photo without any signage to aid the identification but just enough features to be able to identify it if you happen to recognize the location or know where to search. Happy hunting.

1644758412_WhereintheWorld(106).thumb.jpg.772699022f7f08b6fc57cbbda93a1781.jpg

Barcelona, opposite the cruise ship piers.

• Like 2