Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'd also like to make a request for a photo of the port you visited yesterday since that's a new Cunard port we haven't seen yet. There are going to be several other ports on your current itinerary we haven't seen yet, so it would be great if you could contribute photos of those ports as well when the time comes. Thanks so much for adding to our seen Cunard ports list!

Oh, whoops, nothing from yesterday.  I’ll do the remaining ones, though.  My pleasure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Oh, whoops, nothing from yesterday.  I’ll do the remaining ones, though.  My pleasure.

Just a reminder we have relaxed the original rules quite a bit. Your photos don't actually have to show the ship any more. Any photo you may have taken ashore yesterday showing a feature of the city we might be able to figure out will do fine. Or a photo taken from the ship showing any of the port will do fine as well.

• Thanks 1

For the record, I'll ID the port that @alc13 kindly submitted on Friday in post 4685.  It is Yatsushiro, Japan, which QE visited on 21 April.  Thanks for posting!

@bluemarble, you did well to find a webcam showing QE that day, albeit very far away.  All I could find were various webcams of river flood control locations. 

In all my work travels around Japan, I never got to Yatsushiro, nor did I get to the port where QE was yesterday.  @alc13, I hope you and the other QE passengers have had pleasant port days.

• Like 1

Since we've started a new page and it's been several pages since I last posted our ports lists, here are updated versions including the addition of Yatsushiro to the seen ports list. I think we're now up to 617 entries in our seen ports list. I've added a few more ports to the unseen list for ports recently visited on QE's itineraries.

Where in the World 2023-04-22.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2023-04-22.txt

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @alc13 for posting the Busan photo.  Much appreciated for your additions to the game.

This now raises another decision whether QE's call on 23 April is a new port.  @Palmeat's

previous photo in post 2490 (showing QE on her 2015 world cruise) was at the cruise terminal on the seaward side of the Busan Harbor bridge.  QE's recent call was at the terminal on the city side of the bridge.  The bridge's clearance of 60 meters limits the ships that can pass under to use the city terminal.  QM2 doesn't fit, and I imagine QE was rather close.  The call Mrs. sfred and I made to Busan in 2017 on QM2 also used the seaward terminal.

The two terminals are about 5km apart as the Korean national bird the magpie flies - much longer over streets and bridges.  The locations are at the upper left, and lower right, of the below map.  They have similar names - Busan Port International Passenger Terminal, and Busan International Cruise Terminal.

So, can I ask @bluemarble to make the official's call on the field for @alc13's photo?  Same seen port or different unseen port for our game?

image.thumb.png.b520f2ef9764721ef1666ada1ba4a51a.png

4 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Apparently QE passed under the bridge with only 4 meters to spare!

That sounds right.  QE's air draft is a little over 56 meters on average depending on loading.  The Busan bridge clearance is 60 meters, depending on tides. 

On our recent QM2 voyage in Norway, we passed under the Bergen Askoy bridge during our arrival and departure.  The Askoy bridge has a clearance of 62 meters, and is apparently the lowest bridge in the world that QM2 passes under.  (By comparison the Verrazzano Narrows bridge in NY has a clearance of 70 meters.)  The captain said we had only about a meter of space.  Many of us, including me, braved the very cold and very wet evening to get a photo during our departure.  I overheard someone nearby commenting that we should nominate a single volunteer to take a photo and share it around, so the rest of us could go inside to the pub.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, alc13 said:

I have another photo but it posts upside down.  Any advice?

As @exlondoner pointed out, upside down would be appropriate for an Australia photo.  🙂  I also noticed your initial posting of the Busan welcome delegation before you edited it to the cruise terminal photo.

You could try rotating the photo in image editing software, and then posting, but that is probably much more effort than you're wanting to do during your enjoyable holiday.  I think we all just appreciate that you're willing to post photos from your voyage, whether they are upside down or not!  Hope your port day today in Kanazawa is a good one.  This would also be an unseen port in the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @alc13 for posting the Busan photo.  Much appreciated for your additions to the game.

This now raises another decision whether QE's call on 23 April is a new port.  @Palmeat's

previous photo in post 2490 (showing QE on her 2015 world cruise) was at the cruise terminal on the seaward side of the Busan Harbor bridge.  QE's recent call was at the terminal on the city side of the bridge.  The bridge's clearance of 60 meters limits the ships that can pass under to use the city terminal.  QM2 doesn't fit, and I imagine QE was rather close.  The call Mrs. sfred and I made to Busan in 2017 on QM2 also used the seaward terminal.

The two terminals are about 5km apart as the Korean national bird the magpie flies - much longer over streets and bridges.  The locations are at the upper left, and lower right, of the below map.  They have similar names - Busan Port International Passenger Terminal, and Busan International Cruise Terminal.

So, can I ask @bluemarble to make the official's call on the field for @alc13's photo?  Same seen port or different unseen port for our game?

image.thumb.png.b520f2ef9764721ef1666ada1ba4a51a.png

I'm easily convinced to add another port to our list. Since we've counted a few other ports like this with multiple terminals in different sections of the city, it would appear this also ought to qualify as multiple ports for the purposes of our game. For the sake of brevity, I'd suggest listing them as follows.

Busan (Cruise Terminal), Korea

Busan (Passenger Terminal), Korea

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, alc13 said:

A dreary day at this port.  Are there others in the world with so many wind turbines?

413D227D-937B-41AE-9298-D602E2C582C9.jpeg

Thanks @alc13!!  This is Akita, Japan.  A new port for the game. 

It did look rather dreary for your arrival yesterday 26 April.  I was able to find a live webcam of the port area showing QE.  The weather banner at top said only 14c and rain.

Much appreciated for all the photos.  Hope your voyage has been fun.  Do you continue on after Yokohama tomorrow, or disembark?

image.thumb.png.7178da20dc7cb7201a89b18a2b60989a.png

2 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Off at Yokohama.  Three days in Tokyo next.  We haven’t managed to find sushi yet so that is high on the agenda!

You probably won't have to look too hard.  There are few better places in the world than Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market.  An amazing range of seafood.  Mrs. sfred joined me once on one of my work trips to Tokyo, and we went together to the fish market on the weekend.  One of the vendors gave us several slices of salmon cut fresh from the fish.  Yum!  🐟🐟🐟

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

OK, I'll take this one now. This is a view of the cruise terminal at Kanazawa, Japan. Another port we can now move from the "unseen" to the "seen" ports list.

Here is a webcam I found of QE's arrival at Kanazawa that morning.  The cruise terminal in @alc13's photo is off QE's port bow.   Looks like it was a much nicer day than the call to Akita.

image.thumb.png.673eb526d468eebe0ee67ccead3f4177.png

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 5:16 PM, alc13 said:

We had a terrific port welcome here.  Location is spelled out if you look closely.

CE433E4C-070C-4260-8C2F-0ADC7699BEF3.jpeg

I figured this one would have been identified by now. I imagine @sfred knows. For those who would like some hints, the light blue sign at the far left says "Hakata". And the wording on the top of the roof ends in "uoka". Combine that with the apparent ethnicity of the drummers and I think you'll be able to identify this one.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 5:16 PM, alc13 said:

We had a terrific port welcome here.  Location is spelled out if you look closely.

CE433E4C-070C-4260-8C2F-0ADC7699BEF3.jpeg

OK, I'll officially identify this one as Fukuoka, Japan. One more port we can now move from the "unseen" to "seen" ports list. Thanks for posting @alc13!

• Like 1

FYI, the light blue "Hakata" sign refers to the ward within the overall city of Fukuoka where the cruise terminal is located.  Kind of like a council or a borough.

I really like those Japanese port welcomes.  They often feature a local school or community group, and they really seem be enthusiastic.  I have some photos somewhere in archive folders of port welcomes for QM2 in Nagasaki, and QE in Aomori.  I'll try to dig them out for a future posting.  At airports, there's also a wave goodbye from the ground staff as your plane is pushing back and taxiing away.

By my count, Fukuoka is port number 620 in the game, and number 10 in Japan.  Thanks again, @alc13, for taking the time to share the photos during your holiday.  Best wishes for safe travels home.

Edited by sfred