Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 4/23/2021 at 2:26 AM, Solent Richard said:

I'm tempted to say wake me up when you decide to name the ports and require photographs however I may have one or two more that may keep me in the game...

DSC_1085.jpg.93e66615ffef407b72d5c359ccc19370.jpg

I think this one is Papeete, Tahiti.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I think this one is Papeete, Tahiti.

I am impressed!

Looking at this photo I have not thought about the South Pacific at all.

Maybe a Spanish Island or the French Riviera. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, carlmm said:

I am impressed!

Looking at this photo I have not thought about the South Pacific at all.

Maybe a Spanish Island or the French Riviera. 

One particular one for you then Carl, that's your only clue for the moment. This definitely is a Cunard Port...

1317689185_WhereintheWorld8.jpg.322517f1ee6eb6cfe1ddaa3a3c49fc39.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 4:04 AM, Palmeat said:

Here are 2 more. Both taken from a Seabourn ship in 2009 - so the docks may not have been visited by Cunard's larger vessels

L1030478.JPG

L1030190.JPG

The first of these two photos was previously identified as Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam.

Now I think I've identified the second photo. The clue that these photos were taken from a Seabourn ship in 2009 got me investigating Seabourn's 2009 itineraries. Seabourn Spirit was doing itineraries in the Far East during 2009 which included Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). After checking other cities found on those Seabourn Spirit itineraries, I think the second photo above is showing Bangkok, Thailand.

I'm getting a pretty good match near the area labelled "Bangkok Port" on google maps to several features within that small triangular-shaped park in the second photo. Those features include that small temple/shrine toward the right with the steps leading down from it. I'm also getting a match to that yellow feature toward the left of the park which appears to be an anchor. Those are convincing enough matches that I feel reasonably confident identifying the second photo as Bangkok.

• Like 1

The first of these two photos was previously identified as Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam.

Now I think I've identified the second photo. The clue that these photos were taken from a Seabourn ship in 2009 got me investigating Seabourn's 2009 itineraries. Seabourn Spirit was doing itineraries in the Far East during 2009 which included Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). After checking other cities found on those Seabourn Spirit itineraries, I think the second photo above is showing Bangkok, Thailand.

I'm getting a pretty good match near the area labelled "Bangkok Port" on google maps to several features within that small triangular-shaped park in the second photo. Those features include that small temple/shrine toward the right with the steps leading down from it. I'm also getting a match to that yellow feature toward the left of the park which appears to be an anchor. Those are convincing enough matches that I feel reasonably confident identifying the second photo as Bangkok.

Very Good BlueMarble.

Also now easily identified by googling Bangkok Wat Thaawng...

1432956313_WatThaawng.thumb.jpg.c270ba8fcf32f6936f1bfe558a1551e1.jpg

...and fascinating to discover  the Google 'boat' mapper at work...

1620820256_WatThaawng1.thumb.jpg.69fd21be0e3e84a141686b51113271c6.jpg

On 4/23/2021 at 10:04 AM, Palmeat said:

Here are 2 more. Both taken from a Seabourn ship in 2009 - so the docks may not have been visited by Cunard's larger vessels

L1030478.JPG

I have to confess, it was the Saigon overhead power & Telephone lines that gave it away...

472099604_Saigonoverheadcables.thumb.jpg.57ef58bb9a721ef4fc4e4b3ac654ecbc.jpg

😁😁😁

Well researched again, blue marble. Bangkok is correct. I really must stop offering itinerary clues! Yes, the smaller ships can sail right into the city (I believe the larger vessels are required to dock at the Laem Chabang commercial port which is a couple of hours away). Great sail in and sail out - both Bangkok and Saigon. I'm wondering if either Sea Goddess visited these Saigon and Bangkok city docks?

Here are a couple more stops - but not saying when or which ship!😀 The first shot looks a bit challenging, but the location has been confirmed as a Cunard destination earlier in this thread.

IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_7740.JPG

• Like 1

I guess the challenge is identifying if a Cunard ship did get that far up the Chao Phraya River John. 

No such problem with this port though, so far not on our list of Cunard Ports...

125859931_WhereintheWorld7.thumb.jpg.03ccddce4917c2bb9327ea39b95b8ca3.jpg

19 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Well researched again, blue marble. Bangkok is correct. I really must stop offering itinerary clues! Yes, the smaller ships can sail right into the city (I believe the larger vessels are required to dock at the Laem Chabang commercial port which is a couple of hours away). Great sail in and sail out - both Bangkok and Saigon. I'm wondering if either Sea Goddess visited these Saigon and Bangkok city docks?

Here are a couple more stops - but not saying when or which ship!😀 The first shot looks a bit challenging, but the location has been confirmed as a Cunard destination earlier in this thread.

IMG_7740.JPG

Patmos, Skala. No doubt about it...

994905657_PatmosSkala.thumb.jpg.ebb4e1125eb44a49cb4ec83c4caa8752.jpg

1167949935_FarewellSkala.thumb.jpg.cdb5a6c7e53cd5f0a744a6aa5defbc62.jpg

Though not a Cunard port for me,  a particularly  good alternative however...

1609976556_Europa2AnchoredoffPatmos.jpg.261a36dfed242bb09b1cdb764cf5e53b.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

8 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Patmos, Scala. No doubt about it...

994905657_PatmosSkala.thumb.jpg.ebb4e1125eb44a49cb4ec83c4caa8752.jpg

13 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

I guess the challenge is identifying if a Cunard ship did get that far up the Chao Phraya River John. 

No such problem with this port though, so far not on our list of Cunard Ports...

Re your earlier post, Patmos is correct. Well done. Re your photo above, the absence of any buildings is a challenge, but I Googled 'long cruise ship piers' and the most likely looking port visited by QM2 was Cozumel, Mexico. I'm confident I am wrong!!😀

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Re your earlier post, Patmos is correct. Well done. Re your photo above, the absence of any buildings is a challenge, but I Googled 'long cruise ship piers' and the most likely looking port visited by QM2 was Cozumel, Mexico. I'm confident I am wrong!!😀

Alas I share your confidence on that try.

This was taken on a visit to Cozumel...

382805481_CozumelPier1copy.jpg.1b69a5e2590fbb250783bda4589d6f3c.jpg

...though it does have two piers...

1574873685_CozumelPier2.jpg.6d2daa581124636af97f9283af8b6d3d.jpg

...although that distant one still won't fit the bill...

1718637080_CozumelPier3.jpg.838da543dbb7dd5b99049edc802bcab7.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

5 hours ago, Palmeat said:

I found an itinerary for Cunard's Sea Goddess II calling at Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and @Colin_Cameron reported a call there by Cunard's Royal Viking Sun to list it as a port we hadn't seen yet on this thread (until your post).

I've also found an account of a voyage where one of the Sea Goddess ships was docked in Bangkok. That article states "On boarding the Sea Goddess in Bangkok Harbor ...". It doesn't state specifically which of the two but it does indicate it was a Cunard ship.

I'll count both Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and Bangkok as Cunard ports, separate from Phu My and Laem Chabang.

Edited by bluemarble

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Langkawi, Malaysia. A pre 2017 world voyage as Queen Mary 2 hadn’t yet had surgery on deck 13. 

• Like 1

Keen geographers will recognise that Langkawi is some distance from Cozumel!😀Doh!

I think Richard will confirm Yaldi's identification of Langkawi as correct. Frustratingly I've been there and had a photo lined up for a future submission - yet still didn't recognise it.

Thank you Bluemarble for confirming Saigon and Bangkok as Cunard ports.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yaldi said:

Langkawi, Malaysia. A pre 2017 world voyage as Queen Mary 2 hadn’t yet had surgery on deck 13. 

Yes, you've got it Yaldi,  Langkawi. One of my two favourite Malaysian islands. With a bit of luck my wife and I will be there on that island before the year is out. 

But that's another story I keep meaning to add.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_5070.JPG

I'm warming to the Indian Ocean: is that a fair assessment?

1 minute ago, Solent Richard said:

Okay then, I'm going to stab at Madagascar.

Accurate stab - well done - but Madagascar is the world's 2nd largest island country (1st is Indonesia) so for the full gold star can you narrow it down to a port of call?

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 5:33 PM, Solent Richard said:

One particular one for you then Carl, that's your only clue for the moment. This definitely is a Cunard Port...

1317689185_WhereintheWorld8.jpg.322517f1ee6eb6cfe1ddaa3a3c49fc39.jpg

While I'm onboard this afternoon maybe I should add another clue to this definite Cunard port.

Lets take a closer look...

1757841580_WhereintheWorld10.jpg.875f5f64209dd9f8412109b6496ab1af.jpg

1 minute ago, Palmeat said:

Accurate stab - well done - but Madagascar is the world's 2nd largest island country (1st is Indonesia) so for the full gold star can you narrow it down to a port of call?

Well 'Nosy Be' seems to be a popular beach destination for cruise ships visiting Madagascar  - So I'll go with that.

4 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

While I'm onboard this afternoon maybe I should add another clue to this definite Cunard port.

Lets take a closer look...

1757841580_WhereintheWorld10.jpg.875f5f64209dd9f8412109b6496ab1af.jpg

I think this is Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei? 

• Like 1

Just now, Solent Richard said:

Well 'Nosy Be' seems to be a popular beach destination for cruise ships visiting Madagascar  - So I'll go with that.

🥳 Correct Richard it is Nosy Be (or Nossi Be). Well done.

• Like 1