Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Here's something a bit different. It's from a port we've seen here before. This was my attempt to illustrate how much you can see while seated in a sheltered balcony on QM2. This represents a best-case scenario with scenery close to the ship and a fairly tall person (6 ft. 2 in.) taking the photos. These photos were taken in this order over a span of about 45 minutes soon after we departed one of our ports. Which port is this?

image.png.34489dab1a07b13e5e0ef9908af14da5.png

image.png.6b1f5c285badd9a68b1eb3db24279639.png

image.png.5ff4554f846830e5f4d1e5013d06740d.png

image.png.26a6bc5304fcf02447d60b841c3b4311.png

image.png.5d70b2f8f1a532fa4b44500d0d99b4ea.png

image.png.8ea5d7929a84e84823f172d52344a009.png

image.png.89bdc7f9422545122b32caa099384186.png

image.png.eb6a66d5a70ae008acb0350528f351f1.png

19 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's something a bit different. It's from a port we've seen here before. This was my attempt to illustrate how much you can see while seated in a sheltered balcony on QM2. This represents a best-case scenario with scenery close to the ship and a fairly tall person (6 ft. 2 in.) taking the photos. These photos were taken in this order over a span of about 45 minutes soon after we departed one of our ports. Which port is this?

Thank you for these pictures. It is difficult to find information on what sheltered balcony views are like, other than some general opinions. Nice to have documentation.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 7:44 AM, carlmm said:

Maybe we should come back to this on February 3rd.

I get it now.

I have been thinking those island photos of yours might be the San Blas Islands off the coast of Panama since I found a mention of Caronia calling there yesterday. However none of the partial Caronia itineraries I've found have her calling there on February 3rd.

Then I just discovered February 3rd is "San Blas Day" (or "the feast of Saint Blaise").

And to seal the deal, here's a partial quote of yours from here on Cruise Critic.

"A couple of years ago I visited the San Blas Islands with Cunard. What a beautiful and special place! ..."

So I'm going to say those Caronia tender port island photos of yours are the San Blas Islands.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I get it now.

I have been thinking those island photos of yours might be the San Blas Islands off the coast of Panama since I found a mention of Caronia calling there yesterday. However none of the partial Caronia itineraries I've found have her calling there on February 3rd.

Then I just discovered February 3rd is "San Blas Day" (or "the feast of Saint Blaise").

And to seal the deal, here's a partial quote of yours from here on Cruise Critic.

"A couple of years ago I visited the San Blas Islands with Cunard. What a beautiful and special place! ..."

So I'm going to say those Caronia tender port island photos of yours are the San Blas Islands.

Yes!

You are absolutely right!

At least here in Germany in the Catholic Church San Blas Day is especially celebrated with a special blessing. In Panama it is AFAIK even a public holiday.

These beautiful islands are a supreme example for why it is sad Cunard does not have smaller ships anymore. I am glad I was able to visit.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, bluemarble said:

Here's something a bit different. It's from a port we've seen here before. This was my attempt to illustrate how much you can see while seated in a sheltered balcony on QM2. This represents a best-case scenario with scenery close to the ship and a fairly tall person (6 ft. 2 in.) taking the photos. These photos were taken in this order over a span of about 45 minutes soon after we departed one of our ports. Which port is this? ...

Here's a hint for those photos I took while sitting on our QM2 sheltered balcony which I posted yesterday. If you appreciate globes as I do, you may know about this globe near the pier at this port. This photo happens to be from a call here on QE2 showing her mast poking up above that rooftop to the right.

image.thumb.png.7849177af15ee835283796666e8a352d.png

19 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a hint for those photos I took while sitting on our QM2 sheltered balcony which I posted yesterday. If you appreciate globes as I do, you may know about this globe near the pier at this port. This photo happens to be from a call here on QE2 showing her mast poking up above that rooftop to the right.

image.thumb.png.7849177af15ee835283796666e8a352d.png

This is Flam.

I was not sure from the fjord photos.

• Like 1

Just now, carlmm said:

This is Flam.

I was not sure from the fjord photos.

That's correct. I didn't really figure those fjord photos would be definitive enough without a detailed knowledge of the Aurlandsfjord and Sognefjord. But that globe is certainly distinctive enough to identify the port as Flam.

With that I believe I have exhausted all my ship-in-port photos and webcam captures without being even more repetitive than I was with this last round of Flam photos. I will continue to keep an eye on this thread for new postings, but I'm sorry to say I don't think I will be able to contribute any more images. 🙁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

With that I believe I have exhausted all my ship-in-port photos and webcam captures without being even more repetitive than I was with this last round of Flam photos. I will continue to keep an eye on this thread for new postings, but I'm sorry to say I don't think I will be able to contribute any more images. 🙁

I've exhausted all of mine too.  This thread has been really good fun.  I've enjoyed seeing all the port photos, and successfully guessing a few of them.  Thanks everyone for all your contributions and enthusiasm.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 10:54 AM, carlmm said:

This is the Caronia sailing out from the second place on the evening of debarkation.

(Please excuse the quality of theses photos taken from old-fashioned, non-electronic photos.)

DSC06265 (3).JPG

I'm going with Acapulco, Mexico for this one. Caronia itineraries I've found from Fort Lauderdale that include the San Blas Islands end in Acapulco. That fits with being in a different ocean from the San Blas Islands and with being a port we haven't seen yet on this thread.

What I'm seeing online for Acapulco matches up pretty well with this photo. I'm not finding that structure closest to the waterline on the left, but otherwise this is close to what I'm seeing for Acapulco. Google Maps is telling me that's Isla de La Roqueta on the right.

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

How about this ?

Screenshot_20201019-201704.png

I haven't figured out this port yet, but in case there is any doubt about the other ship, that's the Saga Pearl II. You can almost make out the name on her bow if you enlarge the photo and squint hard enough.

16 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm going with Acapulco, Mexico for this one. Caronia itineraries I've found from Fort Lauderdale that include the San Blas Islands end in Acapulco. That fits with being in a different ocean from the San Blas Islands and with being a port we haven't seen yet on this thread.

What I'm seeing online for Acapulco matches up pretty well with this photo. I'm not finding that structure closest to the waterline on the left, but otherwise this is close to what I'm seeing for Acapulco. Google Maps is telling me that's Isla de La Roqueta on the right.

Perfect again!

I was about to post a cliff diver photo but you did not need that.

23 hours ago, sogne said:

yes Italy  

I have more to come  try this evening departure

sal.JPG

a clue: the ship turns to port on departure but going to starboard will take you shortly to a site of a battle which possibly changed the history of Europe

On 10/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, sogne said:

yes Italy  

I have more to come  try this evening departure

sal.JPG

1 hour ago, sogne said:

a clue: the ship turns to port on departure but going to starboard will take you shortly to a site of a battle which possibly changed the history of Europe

Oh, wow! I don't know how long it would have taken me to figure this one out without stumbling upon it while investigating that clue. This looks like a port (and terminal) we've actually departed from and I didn't recognize it.

1) I think that site of a battle to starboard is a reference to the Battle of Salamis in 480 BC.

2) I think what's in the shadow in the foreground is the Molos Themistokleus light.

3) That looks like this port's Cruise Terminal B on shore in the middle of the photo.

I think this is Piraeus, Greece.