Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

... looked familiar from when I was searching images of just about every port imaginable trying unsuccessfully to match red and white striped cranes....

Good morning Bluemarble.

You're in pole position for this one then. I'm just really surprised it hasn't figured on your list yet...

1485097876_NamethatPort1.jpg.2bb82d752d5a17ad51dbf0d4dcff84f8.jpg

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning Bluemarble.

You're in pole position for this one then. I'm just really surprised it hasn't figured on your list yet...

1485097876_NamethatPort1.jpg.2bb82d752d5a17ad51dbf0d4dcff84f8.jpg

I do not get a total match but from my recollection this could/should be Valparaiso.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, carlmm said:

I do not get a total match but from my recollection this could/should be Valparaiso.

Yes, well done. 

We stopped there on the Queen Mary 2's 2009 World Voyage. It's the port for the best access to the capital of Chile, Santiago...

1815225776_SantiagoExcursioncoachfrontseat.jpg.ea2fb3ca7b9d69393e43ecec7671d42d.jpg

1081696594_SantiagotoValparaisosignpost.jpg.8ee164b449d9d58973ec0e0bb989a71a.jpg

Santiago Visit excursion Barbara.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

12 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I'm just really surprised it hasn't figured on your list yet...

10 hours ago, carlmm said:

The past several times QV has been in this part of the world, including our South America trip in 2020, Cunard used San Antonio (the Chile one, not the Texas one) as the port for Santiago rather than Valparaiso.  Unfortunate, as Valparaiso is a bit more scenic.  Apparently from what I heard, the local port labour situation is better in San Antonio. 

I didn't think to get any photos of San Antonio during our brief time there.  After disembarking QV that day, we boarded a local Pullman bus for the trip to Santiago.  @carlmmdid you get any San Antonio pics?

• Like 1

With the identification earlier today of Valparaiso, Chile and what I'll assume for now is Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, by my count we have reached the milestone of 250 different ports identified on this thread! Well done everyone, with a big thank you to our many port photo contributors, and a special shout-out to those who are able to continue contributing port photos to keep this thread going.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

With the identification earlier today of Valparaiso, Chile and what I'll assume for now is Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, by my count we have reached the milestone of 250 different ports identified on this thread! Well done everyone, with a big thank you to our many port photo contributors, and a special shout-out to those who are able to continue contributing port photos to keep this thread going.

Thanks to you @bluemarblefor your tracking and identification expertise.  And thanks to @Host Hattiefor starting this thread.  It has been good fun indeed in these challenging times.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think I've found this one. I'm getting a match to Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.

Congratulations! The 250th identification!

I join in thanking everybody for contributing to this fun thread.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sfred said:

The past several times QV has been in this part of the world, including our South America trip in 2020, Cunard used San Antonio (the Chile one, not the Texas one) as the port for Santiago rather than Valparaiso.  Unfortunate, as Valparaiso is a bit more scenic.  Apparently from what I heard, the local port labour situation is better in San Antonio. 

I didn't think to get any photos of San Antonio during our brief time there.  After disembarking QV that day, we boarded a local Pullman bus for the trip to Santiago.  @carlmmdid you get any San Antonio pics?

Or it could possibly be that Valparaiso was a better accommodating fit  for Queen Mary 2. But you are correct regarding the scenic area surrounding Valparaiso. I recall on our return journey from Santiago they gave us some free time at Vina Del Mar...

1262416353_VinaDelMarChile.jpg.933ff053c231ed9a6c960283431d975f.jpg

5 hours ago, carlmm said:

Your wish is my command - please identify the next one.

DSC03004.JPG

I'll take the hint that @sfred's wish yesterday is your command today. Plus I'm able to match those cranes in a couple online photos of this port. Not red and white striped cranes this time, but just distinct enough I think given that hint on where to start looking.

I'm going with San Antonio, Chile for this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

It ain't over yet, I notice this one isn't on the list...

353261362_WhereintheWorld1.jpg.59a1c283f475032245dd2b22586e124d.jpg

Oh, yes. This is a good one. It's been visited frequently enough by the current Cunard fleet that I've been expecting it to be posted here at some point.

I won't give it away just yet. Instead, I'll add a cryptic clue that this port now qualifies as an answer for our game we played here last October to list ports containing the letter 'q' in their names.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

It ain't over yet, I notice this one isn't on the list...

353261362_WhereintheWorld1.jpg.59a1c283f475032245dd2b22586e124d.jpg

I believe that this photo was from Fort Frederick in the Eastern Cape. Had to look up the name of the port or nearby towns - I guess I need to start visiting places from the ocean side more often to know that - and came up with Port Elizabeth, Gqeberha,  South Africa.

I do recall that the fort was built as defense against French ships commandeering the harbor during the Napoleonic Wars and was crucial to British governance over South Africa.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'll take the hint that @sfred's wish yesterday is your command today. Plus I'm able to match those cranes in a couple online photos of this port. Not red and white striped cranes this time, but just distinct enough I think given that hint on where to start looking.

I'm going with San Antonio, Chile for this one.

Yes, indeed well done.

@sfred , I followed your wish.

DSC03005.JPG

DSC03009.JPG

DSC03014.JPG

DSC03017.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

@sfred , I followed your wish.

Thanks @carlmm!  I had shut down the computer for the night last evening, before your posts appeared.  Good photos of San Antonio.  We weren't there very long at all on 29 February 2020.  After leaving QV, there was a Pullman bus waiting at the pier.  It made a single stop at the San Antonio bus station, then got on the motorway to Santiago. 

Too bad the Queens can't fit into the San Antonio river in Texas.  We could have another Cunard port double.

14 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I believe that this photo was from Fort Frederick in the Eastern Cape. Had to look up the name of the port or nearby towns - I guess I need to start visiting places from the ocean side more often to know that - and came up with Port Elizabeth, Gqeberha,  South Africa.

I do recall that the fort was built as defense against French ships commandeering the harbor during the Napoleonic Wars and was crucial to British governance over South Africa.

Correct ExArkie. That's the Queen Victoria in the distance on her visit dated 10 April 2019. 

Fort Frederick is one of the  sights on the Port Elizabeth 'Donkin Heritage Trail'...

1545745604_DonkinTrailNoticeBoard.jpg.ab6a9a599c3fff6693c1faddd38830b8.jpg

A 5 km self-guided walking trail that links 51 places of historical interest  showcasing settler history from as early as the 1800s.

We completed the trail which included climbing the Campanile...

735342164_Campanile3Barbara.jpg.554d82b07f908c9882080d4a916ce0d5.jpg

...where we captured this other view of the ship...

235385440_Campanile5ShipView.jpg.087938459ae56fb9eb11a3d214f8e2fe.jpg

I'm in the process of writing a review of 'The Donkin Trail' and will provide a link when completed. 

We took in a little bit more than the official distance, as my wife's fitbit will testify...

Fitbit Record.jpg

I always enjoy reading your reviews and posted commentary, so I look forward to your review of the Donkin Trail.

We did not climb the Campanile. I was recovering from a knee injury (from squash, in the days when I had the lung power to do that routinely) and stairs were particularly painful.

• Like 1

Just in case anyone is looking for inspiration concerning possible Cunard port photos to contribute, I'll offer hints about some frequently visited ports we haven't seen here yet. By my count, each of the following countries has a port we haven't seen yet that's one of the 100 most visited ports by the current Cunard fleet.

Spain

United States

China

Malaysia

Vietnam

New Zealand

Thailand

Since we're on a new browser page, for reference here's my latest list of the ports and destinations we have seen so far.

Where in the World 2021-03-15.txt

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Just in case anyone is looking for inspiration concerning possible Cunard port photos to contribute, I'll offer hints about some frequently visited ports we haven't seen here yet. By my count, each of the following countries has a port we haven't seen yet that's one of the 100 most visited ports by the current Cunard fleet.

Spain

United States

China

Malaysia

Vietnam

New Zealand

Thailand

Since we're on a new browser page, for reference here's my latest list of the ports and destinations we have seen so far.

Where in the World 2021-03-15.txt 5.05 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you for the inspiration!

I am surprised how sometimes one remembers just one more port.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Spain

United States

China

Malaysia

Vietnam

New Zealand

Thailand

Where in the World 2021-03-15.txt 5.05 kB · 2 downloads

Good afternoon Bluemarble.

Do remind me of the rules: Does the port HAVE to have an image of a Cunard ship in the photograph please? 

Meanwhile here's one Port not yet featured and definitely not on your latest country list...

DSCN8660.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard