Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

21 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

I thought I had  a better photo of the QE in this port, but this will have to do

9 hours ago, carlmm said:

I go with Victoria, Canada.

Quite a stately landmark!

Yes, it is Victoria BC Canada.  Thanks @david,Mississaugafor the photo of QE in port.  I only have photos of our city explorations that day, 30 May 2019.  As @bluemarblementioned, I had initally loaded a photo of our lunch location, the Bard & Banker on Government Street.  It is an excellent historic pub, with good meals and beer to rival the Golden Lion.  But then I remembered that I had a photo of The Empress hotel, and thought that would be more suitable, given its transportation heritage.  The Empress opened in 1908, built by the Canadian Pacific railway and steamship line.  It has been renovated several times over the years, and is a beautiful building.

Apologies to my Commonwealth mates in Canada for referring to Victoria as an "Alaska" port.  It is only because of QE calling at Victoria several times on her Alaska 2019 itineraries.  Although history might have turned out differently.  If I remember correctly, the precise location of the border with the US was a matter of significant displomatic dispute, resolved by the Oregon Treaty in 1846 and further arbitration in 1872.  The US wanted the border much further north, and Britain wanted it further south.  The compromise was the 49th parallel, with a bit of a detour around the southern end of Victoria Island.

We loved Victoria - it was one of our favourite port calls on our voyage.  Unfortunately though that was our last full day on QE.  That night was the sad process of hauling the luggage out from under the bed, and packing for disembarkation the next day in Vancouver. 

• Like 1

Here is a surprising discovery.  This photo was buried in an obscure corner of the wife's phone, and only found yesterday.  I had thought we only had photos of our city explorations on that day's port call.

There are several buildings and structures visible which should provide good clues.  While it is not an "Alaska" port 😄, or the missing "top 20" port, it is a port we haven't seen here yet.

image.thumb.png.bcb4500ac2f53b46f7ab3c2a11a9b6a2.png

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Here is a surprising discovery.  This photo was buried in an obscure corner of the wife's phone, and only found yesterday.  I had thought we only had photos of our city explorations on that day's port call.

There are several buildings and structures visible which should provide good clues.  While it is not an "Alaska" port 😄, or the missing "top 20" port, it is a port we haven't seen here yet.

image.thumb.png.bcb4500ac2f53b46f7ab3c2a11a9b6a2.png

Very good. There certainly are some distinctive buildings on that skyline. I wasn't sure where to start looking for this one, but that name "Montecon" on the crane proved to be the key to a quick identification. Quoting from the home page of their website:

"Your key partner at The Port of Montevideo"

An examination of that city's skyline confirms this is indeed Montevideo, Uruguay.

One more Cunard port to add to our list.

• Like 2

Well done, @bluemarble.  Photo taken during QV's port call on 13 February 2020.  As you say, the Montecon container crane was the main clue.  One of the buildings visible in the distance is the Palacio Salvo in the Plaza Independencia.  This building opened in 1928, and at 95 meters, for a while was the tallest building in South America. 

image.png.6a83afa4c713c24c03ea12406e39c695.png

While the immediate port area is rather industrial, the city gets interesting very quickly once you cross the street running along the port.  The Mercado del Puerto is filled with shops, cafes and food stands, including a empanada vendor selling dozens of different varieties of delicious savoury and sweet empanadas.  There's also a great riverside walk along the Rio de la Plata.

I know you were referring to some different places (which unfortunately I've never been to so have no photos of) when you mentioned the missing Spanish ports that are not in Iberia.  But given Uruguay's historic Spanish heritage, Montevideo might apply at a stretch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

200.JPG

Ah, I figured this one out from your video "Cunard Queen Elizabeth around New Zealand Feb 2020".

This is Tauranga, New Zealand. The date is 7 Feb 2020. The other ship is Golden Princess.

I better get this answer in right away before @sfred has a chance to work on it! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

068.JPG

There are clues in this photo indicating this could be a northern location and I think my searching northern ports visited by QE that we haven't seen here yet has paid off.

Is this Torshavn, Faroe Islands? I'm finding a pretty good match to a few of the buildings shown in this photo. Most notable perhaps is that brownish/grayish triangular shape appearing directly beneath the center lifeboat. I'm getting a match to the Vesturkirkjan (Western Church) in Torshavn for that.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Ah, I figured this one out from your video "Cunard Queen Elizabeth around New Zealand Feb 2020".

This is Tauranga, New Zealand. The date is 7 Feb 2020. The other ship is Golden Princess.

I better get this answer in right away before @sfred has a chance to work on it! 🙂

My first glance at the two photos, prior to reading the text of the post and looking more closely, had me thinking this was the same port, with hat&coat weather one moment and beach swimwear weather the next.  New Zealand would still work!  😄

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

There are clues in this photo indicating this could be a northern location and I think my searching northern ports visited by QE that we haven't seen here yet has paid off.

Is this Torshavn, Faroe Islands? I'm finding a pretty good match to a few of the buildings shown in this photo. Most notable perhaps is that brownish/grayish triangular shape appearing directly beneath the center lifeboat. I'm getting a match to the Vesturkirkjan (Western Church) in Torshavn for that.

It is indeed. Well done! Tauranga and Torshavn.

This would just have been too easy.

061.thumb.JPG.cdf28367bc2d2e9c0acf0e570d6be3fc.JPG

10 minutes ago, sfred said:

My first glance at the two photos, prior to reading the text of the post and looking more closely, had me thinking this was the same port, with hat&coat weather one moment and beach swimwear weather the next.  New Zealand would still work!  😄

I was thinking that maybe someone might jump to the conclusion that they were from the same cruise.

I'm still stumped by carlmm's picture though.

Ah, yes @Colin_Cameron. I think that's our missing "Top 20" most-visited port. I'll leave that for someone else to identify, given that I suggested it as a contribution and I've been identifying too many anyway.

Can't say I won't jump at the chance to identify @carlmm's latest photo if I figure that one out though. It has me stumped so far too, but in the scheme of how things usually go with these, I've only just begun the fight with that one.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

I'm stumped by @carlmmlatest also.

On @Colin_Cameron's latest, one thought that came to mind was Istanbul , but I can't find a fit to google maps.  You've done a good job in loading a photo that isn't immediately recognisable (to me anyway).

I think you've got it @sfred. I believe that photo may be a view of Istanbul as seen from the top of Galata Tower. Unfortunately google maps doesn't appear to allow you to climb to the top of that tower. Most of the views you'll find from there are to the south or west across the Golden Horn. I think @Colin_Cameron's photo is looking to the east toward Galaport Istanbul and then across the Bosporus. I found a panoramic view taken from Galata Tower that matches this photo pretty well in the portion of that panorama looking toward the east.

By my count, Istanbul is the 18th most visited port by the current Cunard fleet. And that's even after taking into account the cancellations of Turkish ports that began during 2016.

Should have gone with my instincts!  I noticed Galata Tower on google maps, and thought that a view from there would match with the photo's distance and angle of QE moored at Galaport.  But then I couldn't find a streetview that matched to the buildings just in front of QE, and I talked myself out of it. 

D'oh!

Well done both of you. 

It is Istanbul, taken from the top of the Galata Tower. Fortunately the mist is partly obscuring the big hint in this picture, The Maiden's Tower, in the background above QE's funnel. (Where M was held prisoner in the Bond film 'The World Is Not Enough'.)

Here's another one that I suspect may feature on one of @bluemarble's lists (but don't let that mislead you in case I'm wrong).

CD169.jpg

I'll guess Izmir, Turkey.  The boats in front of the ship are flying the Turkish flag.  The car has a licence plate 35 H 1710, and according to Wikipedia's page on vehicle registration plates of Turkey, the 35 is a location code for Izmir.  It is a little harder to tell, but the motorcycle might be location code 35 as well.

Of course, the vehicles might only have been registered in Izmir and the photo taken somewhere else, so I could have this wrong.

The ship is the background looks like pre-refit QV (with the sloped stern). 

Nice photo, @Colin_Cameron.  The trees and boats frame the distant QV very nicely.

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

CD169.jpg

23 minutes ago, sfred said:

I'm 0 for 2 today....  Bodrum or Kusadasi are driving distance from Izmir, but we've seen these ports already also.  I'll best call it a night. 

I'll give it a try with Marmaris...

55 minutes ago, sfred said:

I'm 0 for 2 today....  Bodrum or Kusadasi are driving distance from Izmir, but we've seen these ports already also.  I'll best call it a night. 

31 minutes ago, carlmm said:

I'll give it a try with Marmaris...

You're both in the right part of the world (obviously), but that would be no, no and no.

• Like 1

There's one more Turkish port in the province of Izmir that appears on QV's itineraries which we haven't seen here yet. That's Dikili. Photos I'm finding of that port bear at least a passing resemblance to @Colin_Cameron's photo.

One of the boats in the photo appears to be named "AYISIGI 3". That boat is not currently at Dikili and I can't find a photo of it. But a boat named simply "AYISIGI" for which I can find a photo shares some of the features of the boat in the photo and is currently located at Dikili.

Just enough there that I'll go ahead and guess that last photo from @Colin_Cameron is showing the port of Dikili, Turkey.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Just enough there that I'll go ahead and guess that last photo from @Colin_Cameron is showing the port of Dikili, Turkey.

Congratulations. It is Dikili.

I wondered if it might be on your list of ports only visited once?

This one's not Turkey, and not even the Med.

256.JPG

5 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Congratulations. It is Dikili.

I wondered if it might be on your list of ports only visited once?

Almost. I see Dikili visited only twice, both by QV and both within four days of each other. Dikili shows up as a call on 6 November 2011 two days before the end of voyage V127 from Venice to Athens. Then Dikili shows up as a call on 10 November 2011 two days after the beginning of the next voyage V128 from Athens back to Venice.

• Like 1

OK, I'll leave the identification of that last port photo to one of our contributors who probably hasn't had a chance to see it yet. It should be right up his alley. Of course if anyone else wants to identify it, especially those that don't get a chance to contribute here all that often, by all means go ahead.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1