They're having a laugh

cockneyjock

13 minutes ago, cockneyjock said:

We are booked on J105 next May, and have got cabin C1 for 6k, with £550 OBC. Just had a look at the current prices, and they want 9k+ for a balcony.

Alan.

Prices have shot up and supply and demand will determine how much more they go up or down.

It will be interesting what prices are offered after final payments when a lot of people might have cancelled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cockneyjock said:

We are booked on J105 next May, and have got cabin C1 for 6k, with £550 OBC. Just had a look at the current prices, and they want 9k+ for a balcony.

Alan.

Seems par for the course...our 2021 cruise went up by 65%...for same dates....cabin etc....yours has only gone up by 50% ! ☺️

1 hour ago, janny444 said:

Seems par for the course...our 2021 cruise went up by 65%...for same dates....cabin etc....yours has only gone up by 50% ! ☺️

Our J115 booked in October was £2702 outside cabin. It's now £4798. I think that's about 55%ish🤔.  I'm waiting to be corrected. Maths was never my strong subject😁

Avril

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Don’t forget that those who opted for the 125% FCC and are desperate to redeem it against a 2021 cruise will only be ripped off by 25-40%, not the 50-65% that you are all quoting 😂 

Just read in cruise news that Royal Caribbean ships could be sailing very soon.

These prices shown indicate P&O ( Carnival) aim to get as much money for these cruises as they can and it will be interesting to see how many passengers are allowed on because of social distancing and maybe this is why prices are so high if they sail well below capacity.

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Don’t forget that those who opted for the 125% FCC and are desperate to redeem it against a 2021 cruise will only be ripped off by 25-40%, not the 50-65% that you are all quoting 😂 

I booked at launch so by your theory Selbourne, I've not been ripped off I've got a bargain.😏

Avril

If these prices stick, and they may have to if the ships are to be financially viable while Coronavirus is still around, and that could be for a long time, cruising’s going to go back to the days when only the rich could afford it.

I’ll be back at Butlins again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I booked at launch so by your theory Selbourne, I've not been ripped off I've got a bargain.😏

Avril

That’s the point I’m making Avril. For as many years as I can recall, the cheapest prices (Select bookings) have always been at launch and are never bettered at any time up to sail date. Booking within 12 months of a cruise is usually a very expensive time to book, but P&O has been crafty in hiking up prices to wipe out the ‘benefit’ of the ‘extra’ 25%, so it’s a doubly bad time! 

I shall be very interested to see the launch prices of the Summer / Autumn 2022/23 cruises when they are released. If a lot of people still have FCC that has not been redeemed, the prices may not be as keen as they usually are. We have a few hundred pounds of FCC from a deposit that we couldn’t get a refund on, so are planning on redeeming it at launch against a 2022 or 2023 cruise (assuming that we feel it will be safe to cruise by then, which I am sure it will be). If the prices remain silly we shall just lose the FCC. One thing that this whole episode has taught us is that we can live without cruises and other types of holiday can be just as (or more) enjoyable. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:One thing that this whole episode has taught us is that we can live without cruises and other types of holiday can be just as (or more) enjoyable. 

Unlike most here, I’ve never really reached quite the same level of addiction to cruises. We’ve done quite a few, but nothing like the sort of number that some regulars like to boast about at dinner.

Other holidays have always been the main feature, and whilst I’d miss cruising, the other options are frankly just as good and often cheaper.

Anyway, I’ve found rigging up a rocker and an electric motor, fixing it to the bed, and leaving the bathroom taps on, plugs in, provides a passable cruise sensation.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

These prices shown indicate P&O ( Carnival) aim to get as much money for these cruises as they can and it will be interesting to see how many passengers are allowed on because of social distancing and maybe this is why prices are so high if they sail well below capacity.

If the cheap deals being offered by Princess remain, then I suspect a lot of potential customers will be jumping ship, and P&O will have to reduce their prices.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Do you think America is a safe place to go cruising from any time soon?

31 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If these prices stick, and they may have to if the ships are to be financially viable while Coronavirus is still around, and that could be for a long time, cruising’s going to go back to the days when only the rich could afford it.

I’ll be back at Butlins again!

Well, if that means that cruising goes back to the dignified days that we so fondly recall Harry, then we may be tempted back sooner! We remember our first cruise with great affection. Back then, I don’t recall seeing a single tattoo and any piercings were restricted to ladies ears 😂 

• Like 1

I no longer have any cruises booked for next year but my cancelled October cruise on Aurora this year was just over £2400 for solo occupancy of an inside cabin. A very similar itinerary on Arcadia for October next year is £3600... I don't anticipate cruising with P&O next year now.

24 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Well, if that means that cruising goes back to the dignified days that we so fondly recall Harry, then we may be tempted back sooner! We remember our first cruise with great affection. Back then, I don’t recall seeing a single tattoo and any piercings were restricted to ladies ears 😂 

I share that view.  The tact and diplomacy for which I have become a byword prevented me from even hinting at it.  😱

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I share that view.  The tact and diplomacy for which I have become a byword prevented me from even hinting at it.  😱

I added the 😂 to shield me slightly Harry, but am still braced for ‘incoming’ 😂 

Tattoos and piercings don't upset me I've grown used to them, they don't have the same significance they used to have, you can't judge people by things like this any more. I know some very nice even if misguided people with tattoos.   But it's when every other word is ***** that my skin crawls. Can't say any more or I will be cancelled. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

I read about them elsewhere. Desperation comes to mind. I am sorry but I don't think the US from the president down is taking this seriously enough for me to halfway consider and American line. That's if they are allowed over here.?I know they are advertising them...doesnt mean they will happen.

Quite a number of their ships are here already, because they routinely operate summer cruises in Europe, and having watched a video from the RCI  CEO their management is equally appalled at the handling  of Covid19 by the US govt.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

That’s the point I’m making Avril. For as many years as I can recall, the cheapest prices (Select bookings) have always been at launch and are never bettered at any time up to sail date. Booking within 12 months of a cruise is usually a very expensive time to book, but P&O has been crafty in hiking up prices to wipe out the ‘benefit’ of the ‘extra’ 25%, so it’s a doubly bad time! 

I shall be very interested to see the launch prices of the Summer / Autumn 2022/23 cruises when they are released. If a lot of people still have FCC that has not been redeemed, the prices may not be as keen as they usually are. We have a few hundred pounds of FCC from a deposit that we couldn’t get a refund on, so are planning on redeeming it at launch against a 2022 or 2023 cruise (assuming that we feel it will be safe to cruise by then, which I am sure it will be). If the prices remain silly we shall just lose the FCC. One thing that this whole episode has taught us is that we can live without cruises and other types of holiday can be just as (or more) enjoyable. 

+1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

If the cheap deals being offered by Princess remain, then I suspect a lot of potential customers will be jumping ship, and P&O will have to reduce their prices.

Following the sale of Oceana I weighed up options for a replacement for my May 2021 cruise and found P&O uncompetitive. I jumped ship to Saga and got a single balcony cabin on Spirit of Discovery for little more than I would have paid on P&O. Probably works out cheaper as Saga is all inclusive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the english lady said:

Do you think America is a safe place to go cruising from any time soon?

Our flights to Sanford Florida in October were cancelled by TUI last month.

We are restricted by our government and US no flying and we are not in a hurry to cruise from anywhere.

If the CDC give the okay then it's up to people to decide if they cruise from the US or not.

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Noooo, correct quote is

"Money doesn't buy happiness, it just makes misery easier to bear!!"

I know Jean, a baker I know got rich and now he’s rolling in dough !

No bun intended:classic_unsure::classic_wink:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

Following the sale of Oceana I weighed up options for a replacement for my May 2021 cruise and found P&O uncompetitive. I jumped ship to Saga and got a single balcony cabin on Spirit of Discovery for little more than I would have paid on P&O. Probably works out cheaper as Saga is all inclusive.

We booked a cruise on the new Spirit of Adventure, for March next year, at the start of 2020. The price we paid looks fantastic compared to current P&O fares - whether it goes ahead or not, is of course a different matter.