MAYBE new fast & cheap COVID testing will get Cruising Going

Av8tor

9 minutes ago, logan25 said:

I have read at least one Article which attributes 97% accuracy to the Abbott test.

I have seen this in multiple reports to the accuracy of the test, I think that is why it has caused so much excitement on the wall street side (stocks have jumped in the travel and leisure area).

8 hours ago, ChC said:

but it won't be 100% secure

What is?  One fastens your seat belt, your car is t-boned by a dump truck.  You die or seriously injured.  One consumes a Cesar Salad at a 5 Star restaurant.  There is a micro-organism in some of the lettuce and you spend the next couple of days ill and "wedded" to your commode. 

Such a test is a "hopeful" sign.  What is required, in my opinion, is an "authority" on which we can rely to approve of such a test.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ChC said:

The best fast testing solution only guarantees 75-85% accuracy (correct me if you have the latest figures). A 15 minutes fast test is likely to be within the same range. That leaves a potentially 15% to 25% of false negative and or false positive around. 

From what I’ve read pertaining to these tests is that the “accuracy” is rapidly improving as new tests are introduced and older, less reliable ones are no longer used.

But let’s assume for the sake of argument that the accuracy is indeed 75-85%. That’s where all the other measures come into play (masks, social distancing, additional sanitizing and disinfecting, etc). When you add up the cumulative effect of all these measures, I’m guessing that we will be at a point where it will be safe to resume cruising. There won’t be a way to guarantee 100% that nobody will be infected until this virus disappears (if ever), but all they need is for the probabilities to get infected to be low enough to deem it safe to return to cruising. And I’m hopeful that we are getting there. 

• Like 3

The following is quoted directly from an article about the Abbott test.  I cannot vouch whether the author relays the information accurately, but here it is:

Antigen tests can be much faster, but they are often less accurate. That doesn’t appear to be the case with the new Abbott design. According to FDA, the Abbott test correctly identifies patients with SARS-CoV-2 97.1% of the time and people without the virus 98.5% of the time.

Edited by logan25
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, logan25 said:

The following is quoted directly from an article about the Abbott test.  I cannot vouch whether the author relays the information accurately, but here it is:

Antigen tests can be much faster, but they are often less accurate. That doesn’t appear to be the case with the new Abbott design. According to FDA, the Abbott test correctly identifies patients with SARS-CoV-2 97.1% of the time and people without the virus 98.5% of the time.

And again, I saw this in multiple articles (wall street and clinical medical type), so this in fact does talk about accuracy, and not some sensitivity (I am not even sure what that means in terms of testing).