O is still on their OK list....

Flatbush Flyer

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

.... but you'll find that lines including Crystal, Windstar and American Steamship have been dumped as "covered" cruise lines by Allianz for passenger travel insurance.

Hmmmm?

I don't doubt what you've posted, but I'd appreciate your providing a link to the source of information.

15 hours ago, Paulchili said:

i'm not buying into the (unnamed) companies' attempt to slip this into a general "foreseen event" exclusion and I think there's a good chance state insurance regulators won't either. The correct way to do this is by amending the policy by naming any cruise lines specifically excluded from financial default coverage...and I've seen policies that do just that. Otherwise the purchaser of the policy is required to have knowledge of suppliers' financial circumstances that are  unreasonable to expect the average person to have. Does the average person read cruise lines' financial filings such as those made to the SEC, their auditors' statements, or trade publication reports? No.

• Like 2

For financial default coverage I use the insurance that goes with the credit card used to pay for my cruises, not an extra policy. So unless that coverage is specifically excluding a certain cruise line at the time I obtain the credit card, I am good for financial default. I rarely take out extra insurance, only medical evacuations for land vacations in exotic/third world countries, like for a safari trip. I have never taken extra insurance for a cruise vacation in over 50 cruises.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It was in an Oceania Cruises Facebook group post. Here's another attempt to post a pic of the page itself:

IMG_5092.PNG

Thanks. I see that Blount Small Ship Adventures is on the list of covered cruise lines, but they just went out of business. UnCruise isn't on the covered list but they're still in business.The same for Windstar. Without more context, such as an effective date on the document I'm not sure I'd take everything on there as being current.  Even if it is current there's no real indication of how they're deciding which suppliers are covered and which aren't.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Thanks. I see that Blount Small Ship Adventures is on the list of covered cruise lines, but they just went out of business. UnCruise isn't on the covered list but they're still in business.The same for Windstar. Without more context, such as an effective date on the document I'm not sure I'd take everything on there as being current.  Even if it is current there's no real indication of how they're deciding which suppliers are covered and which aren't.

Per the Facebook post, this is an updated list from within the past week.

don't shoot the messenger.

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

For financial default coverage I use the insurance that goes with the credit card used to pay for my cruises, not an extra policy. So unless that coverage is specifically excluding a certain cruise line at the time I obtain the credit card, I am good for financial default. I rarely take out extra insurance, only medical evacuations for land vacations in exotic/third world countries, like for a safari trip. I have never taken extra insurance for a cruise vacation in over 50 cruises.

But how much were those 50 cruises?

We had to cancel a $25k cruise for medical reasons. Travel insurance wrote the check. Our CC at the time had a claim limit of only $10k and that was also without PEC waivers. For some folks that could've meant losing a "chunk of change."

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Per the Facebook post, this is an updated list from within the past week.

don't shoot the messenger.

I'm not shooting the messenger...just trying to get to the facts. i have an inherent mistrust of Facebook . It's a repository of misinformation...not all of it intentional...much of it the product of ignorance. 

Insurance policy and other contractual provisions always carry an effective date. Without that date we don't know when this document came into force. I'll give you an example of how meaningless and misleading quoting a contract provision without a date can be. A couple of months ago someone made a post on the NCL board accusing them of making an unconscionable Guest Ticket Contract revision in light of the pandemic. NCL was accused of adding a provision making the passenger responsible for costs incurred as the result of being quarantined on board. One problem...that provision wasn't added because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It had been part of the contract since April 2018 . FYI, Oceania's Guest Ticket Contract dated September 2018 contains a very similar provision.

12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm not shooting the messenger...just trying to get to the facts. i have an inherent mistrust of Facebook . It's a repository of misinformation...not all of it intentional...much of it the product of ignorance. 

Insurance policy and other contractual provisions always carry an effective date. Without that date we don't know when this document came into force. I'll give you an example of how meaningless and misleading quoting a contract provision without a date can be. A couple of months ago someone made a post on the NCL board accusing them of making an unconscionable Guest Ticket Contract revision in light of the pandemic. NCL was accused of adding a provision making the passenger responsible for costs incurred as the result of being quarantined on board. One problem...that provision wasn't added because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It had been part of the contract since April 2018 . FYI, Oceania's Guest Ticket Contract dated September 2018 contains a very similar provision.

I agree that Facebook can be problematic. But, that link was to Allianz with a current date in the link.

In any case, we don't use Allianz - so not an issue for us.

5 hours ago, susiesan said:

For financial default coverage I use the insurance that goes with the credit card used to pay for my cruises, not an extra policy

If you rely on CSR for this benefit you would be unpleasantly surprised:

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

From there note this:

What’s Not Covered

This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:

• Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
  • Change in plans or financial circumstances
  • A pre-existing condition
  • Traveling against the advice of a physician
  • A declared or undeclared war
  • Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered
  • Financial insolvency of the Cardholder’s travel agency, tour operator, or travel supplier
Edited by Paulchili

I have a Chase Ink Business Preferred card that absolutely has coverage for financial insolvency under trip interruption coverage. 

I just looked I up. It is in writing in the printed brochure that came with my card.

You need a different Chase credit card.

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I have a Chase Ink Business Preferred card that absolutely has coverage for financial insolvency under trip interruption coverage. 

I just looked I up. It is in writing in the printed brochure that came with my card.

Travel "cancel/interrupt" Claim limit?

PECs as basis of "cancel/interrupt" waived?

Extent of Medevac coverage and exclusions?

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Isn’t their coverage limit about 1/2 of CSR?.

I don’t fully rely on these coverages anymore after a couple of denials. These days I am more likely to get separate insurance than count on CC insurance - especially for more expensive trips.

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

use the yearly Allianz as my health..its like $254 per person per year..and I have collected on it many times..

Compare it with GeoBlue annual and see how they compare. I haven't done the comparison but use Geo Blue and have been happy with them.

On 8/30/2020 at 10:30 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

But how much were those 50 cruises?

We had to cancel a $25k cruise for medical reasons. Travel insurance wrote the check. Our CC at the time had a claim limit of only $10k and that was also without PEC waivers. For some folks that could've meant losing a "chunk of change."

On the other hand if you took 50 cruises  without insurance, and then faced a $25 K loss, ( which would have been reduced to $15K after the CC) the amount you saved by self insuring would have been far more than the $15K... you had to eat.   Its a gamble  you have to weigh the odds and not just insure everything out of fear

So those who lost $25K would have still saved more on 50  non insured cruises and profited even

14 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I use Chase as my primary and use the yearly Allianz as my health..its like $254 per person per year..and I have collected on it many times..

Jancruz1

I use Chase/UA/Marriott as my primary Split the cruise  bill  have 2 cards  so get covered by $20K  and  pay $0 for health as I have Kaiser good world wide....and have used it world wide 100% no deductible    They will even transport you to a Hospital Kaiser approves of...  and after treatment provide you with 3 meals a day for 30 days too.... Love them... ( Kaiser has a few plans  of all levels)

15 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

On the other hand if you took 50 cruises  without insurance, and then faced a $25 K loss, ( which would have been reduced to $15K after the CC) the amount you saved by self insuring would have been far more than the $15K... you had to eat.   Its a gamble  you have to weigh the odds and not just insure everything out of fear

So those who lost $25K would have still saved more on 50  non insured cruises and profited even

You've got some voodoo math there. For geezers, it's important to remember that most CCs exclude PECs as claimable for trip cancel/interrupt. And then there's medevac (not to be confused with field rescue from a ship) which is far different than emergency ambulance coverage provided by most regular health policies. The bottom line is how much you are willing to pay for peace of mind should "the sh*t hit the fan."

In any case, I'm a big believer in added insurance (with PEC waivers) for travel cancel/interrupt on cruises costing five figures. I'm not so much worried about the medical since my PERS Care Medicare Supplement morphs to the regular policy the minute you step out of the US. But, a total cruise loss all at once is not a little deal for most folks.

And many CCs have now jumped on the bandwagon of excluding pandemics for any type of claim. So, it doesn't necessarily diminish the cancel/interrupt bite in all cases.

it's a whole new world.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

."

In any case, I'm a big believer in added insurance (with PEC waivers) for travel cancel/interrupt on cruises costing five figures. I'm not so much worried about the medical since my PERS Care Medicare Supplement morphs to the regular policy the minute you step out of the US. But, a total cruise loss all at once is not a little deal for most folks.

I have never and will never spend five figures for a cruise or any other vacation. The most I have spent on a trip was $4500pp for a 10 day private safari in Tanzania in 2018. The most I have ever spent on a cruise was maybe $3000? for Galapgos on Xpedition years ago. I have a different travel style than most Oceania cruisers. If I don't get a deal or discount, then I don't go.