Considering Oceania, how does it compare with Celebrity?

wishuponasea

On 9/14/2020 at 8:58 PM, kitty9 said:

We have done more than 35 cruises on X, all in suites, and were assigned Luminae when they first opened that option.  Before that, we always dined in their specialty restaurants such as SS United States, Normandie, Ocean Liners and Murano.  All were outstanding, probably the best at sea, at the time.  But when they transitioned and got rid of those venues (on deck 3, if I remember correctly, on the M class ships), we were assigned Luminae and really didn’t care for it at all.  The food, and section, wasn’t nearly as good.  And like Blu, the tables were so close together.

Aboatnerd, I completely agree that the hamburger was truly bad. The meat was very greasy and there was a flavor that was really nasty. 

Your point about tables in Blu and elsewhere on Celebrity (and other mass market lines) being too close together is most valid. Brings to mind the question of how any Covid required social distancing can be implemented while keeping the financially stressed industry fiscally viable. 

On 9/14/2020 at 2:10 PM, st5310 said:

I'm confused.  You're criticizing the size of the Celebrity ships and complaining about the "general mass of people you have to endure," then in the next breath complaining about "us versus them" and paying to "keep others at bay" that you state is not for you.  This makes no sense.

Let me  explain please,   Yes  I feel ill at ease on a the massive celeb ships which I felt were designed for people who did not want to be on a ship..   lawns,!!!    I complain about the class system with "special" venues  too

It makes sense that you discover your on a huge floating mall, packing in thousands upon thousands, and then making people pay$$$$ to be able to get away from those masses and giving them fancy silly names of elitism. Might as well have the "Mystic Knights of the Sea" class and you  could pay to be a "King Fish"

This is why I do not sail them anymore...2 points..... masses of people  and faux elite classes that they sell people who want to get away from those masses..

On 9/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, ldubs said:

Good info.  On the larger ships is it difficult to book the specialty restnts once on board?  

Tried to see if you had an answer yet and didn't find one, so ...

It's probably easier on the two larger ships than on the "R" ships, but it all depends on the passengers.  On some cruises you have a majority of people who want extra reservations.  On others, there are more people like us who don't find a need to be in a specialty restaurant most nights.  If you are in a suite you can always order from a specialty restaurant and dine in your room.

It probably also depends on how long a cruise you are on.  If it's a 7 day cruise, more passengers will want their reservations ... but if you're on a 21 day cruise, it usually becomes less important.

However, it is rarely impossible to get an extra reservation -- in our experience.

Mura

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Let me  explain please,   Yes  I feel ill at ease on a the massive celeb ships which I felt were designed for people who did not want to be on a ship..   lawns,!!!    I complain about the class system with "special" venues  too

It makes sense that you discover your on a huge floating mall, packing in thousands upon thousands, and then making people pay$$$$ to be able to get away from those masses and giving them fancy silly names of elitism. Might as well have the "Mystic Knights of the Sea" class and you  could pay to be a "King Fish"

This is why I do not sail them anymore...2 points..... masses of people  and faux elite classes that they sell people who want to get away from those masses..

We happen to like the spaciousness of the suites. Typically, we sail in a suite on all cruise lines, including Oceania. Not party animals, like our privacy, not a" faux elite" either. Everybody has choices and it makes our cruising much more pleasurable. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

We happen to like the spaciousness of the suites. Typically, we sail in a suite on all cruise lines, including Oceania. Not party animals, like our privacy, not a" faux elite" either. Everybody has choices and it makes our cruising much more pleasurable. 

At some point you have to step out of  that spacious suite and wade into the multitudes.. I I was at first amused then turned off by the guests " flaunting" their special status it others faces.... ...really?...

I agree it is a choice and yours to make...It is not however, a compromise I would choose

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

At some point you have to step out of  that spacious suite and wade into the multitudes.. I I was at first amused then turned off by the guests " flaunting" their special status it others faces.... ...really?...

I agree it is a choice and yours to make...It is not however, a compromise I would choose

Nobody knows you are in a suite if you do not tell them. Just normal people that happen to like privacy and space. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mura said:

Tried to see if you had an answer yet and didn't find one, so ...

It's probably easier on the two larger ships than on the "R" ships, but it all depends on the passengers.  On some cruises you have a majority of people who want extra reservations.  On others, there are more people like us who don't find a need to be in a specialty restaurant most nights.  If you are in a suite you can always order from a specialty restaurant and dine in your room.

It probably also depends on how long a cruise you are on.  If it's a 7 day cruise, more passengers will want their reservations ... but if you're on a 21 day cruise, it usually becomes less important.

However, it is rarely impossible to get an extra reservation -- in our experience.

Mura

Thanks!  I appreciate the info.  

4 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Thanks for clarifying.  TrulyBlonde is quite right.  Nobody knows what cabin you're in unless you choose to share that information.  As I'm walking thru the ship among the "multitudes" I cannot detect who is and is not in a suite.  I never ask nor do I care.  I happen to like the perks that accompany suites, especially the private venues.  Even when I sail a smaller ship, like O's Insignia, I seek out quiet venues.  We book suites and love the dedicated venues aboard, including the lounge and the restaurant, but we can also choose to stroll and shop through the "malls."  I have had this argument many times and I'll say it again: if I pay 3-4 times more for a suite that someone else pays for an outside cabin I expect more than just a few extra square feet.  There is nothing elitist or snobby about it.  We just decided to spend more money. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

We believe you mentioned you have chosen an Oceania Suite on the Marina for your European cruise next year.  In looking through the amenities for an OS, we see:

Exclusive access to executive lounge staffed by a concierge

24-hour butler service

priority check-in and early embarkation

priority luggage delivery

priority restaurant reservations in Toscana, Polo Grill, Jacques and Red Ginger

Between the butler's services and the priorities, it doesn't sound like you will have to "wade into the multitudes" too much.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We believe you mentioned you have chosen an Oceania Suite on the Marina for your European cruise next year.  In looking through the amenities for an OS, we see:

24-hour butler service

Between the butler's services and the priorities, it doesn't sound like you will have to "wade into the multitudes" too much.

Majority of people do not care where you sleep. Normal people on cruises are here to see The World. It seems to me that wannabes are the only ones concerned about your sleeping and eating arrangements. Hawaiidan seems like a wannabe. Why else would he begrudge others for their choice of cabin? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

24-hour butler service

NO...I am getting the cabin because of a severely disabled wife.... and need the space  for her care...it is not to be special...  I dont need priority check in... never could see the value of a butler, luggage no big deal and will probably go to very few specialties..... OK     Your concern overwhelmed me.

18 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Majority of people do not care where you sleep. Normal people on cruises are here to see The World. It seems to me that wannabes are the only ones concerned about your sleeping and eating arrangements. Hawaiidan seems like a wannabe. Why else would he begrudge others for their choice of cabin? 

Really..... I am concerned with  access for my disabled wife and this may be her last cruise./travel ever....OK.......I guess I wannabe a caring husband in this difficult time in her life.......    Your a classic.piece of work 

Edited by Hawaiidan

13 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Really..... I am concerned with  access for my disabled wife and this may be her last cruise./travel ever....OK.......I guess I wannabe a caring husband in this difficult time in her life.......    Your a classic.piece of work 

Wishing you and your wife an exceptional cruise. Enjoy the Sweet Life. Just stop being a hypocrite. We all choose our cabins for many different reasons. It is nobody's business but your own. Make sure you do not tell anyone on public forum or on board that you are sailing in the Owners Suite. You got caught 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

So you're booked on the Marina in an Oceania Suite with exclusive access to an executive lounge?  And you have the chutzpah to criticize "faux elite classes?"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, st5310 said:

So you're booked on the Marina in an Oceania Suite with exclusive access to an executive lounge?  And you have the chutzpah to criticize "faux elite classes?"

I have no idea what the  benefits or care  I just need the access space for my wife.....  What I criticize is the type of people who book top cabins to look special and let everyone know just  how cool they think of themselves... being from SF I think you will understand that attitude.  Ya'  I dont like that......  Thats my beef

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I have no idea what the  benefits or care  I just need the access space for my wife.....  What I criticize is the type of people who book top cabins to look special and let everyone know just  how cool they think of themselves... being from SF I think you will understand that attitude.  Ya'  I dont like that......  Thats my beef

Being from SF?  What the heck is SF... San Francisco?  And why do you think I'm from there?  More importantly, why would I understand that attitude? 

Look, Hawaiidan, nobody likes pretentious people, but you are stuffing all suite class people into one basket by assuming all of us are "too cool" to hang with regular folks.  Your prejudice is obvious.  And ugly.

I am sorry about your wife's condition and you are a good husband to want to make these days great for her, especially since you're in an unwanted upscale cabin with many of us "faux elitists."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I have no idea what the  benefits or care  I just need the access space for my wife.....  

With all due respect, you would be wise to at least be aware of all benefits available in order to maximize your wife's enjoyment of the cruise.  You have probably done so already, but checking all videos available for the suite you have in mind is also wise in determining if the layout of the suite (furniture placement, free space, etc.) fits your purposes.  Larger does not always mean convenient.  We speak from 49 years of experience with our daughter who has been a quadriplegic since birth - but has sailed with us all of her life.  It certainly doesn't hurt to see what the cruise line can offer disabled travelers.  Research paid off.  Oceania must have a special needs department of some sort, but you may have covered that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

With all due respect, you would be wise to at least be aware of all benefits available in order to maximize your wife's enjoyment of the cruise.  You have probably done so already, but checking all videos available for the suite you have in mind is also wise in determining if the layout of the suite (furniture placement, free space, etc.) fits your purposes.  Larger does not always mean convenient.  We speak from 49 years of experience with our daughter who has been a quadriplegic since birth - but has sailed with us all of her life.  It certainly doesn't hurt to see what the cruise line can offer disabled travelers.  Research paid off.  Oceania must have a special needs department of some sort, but you may have covered that.

I am in touch with them.....Thanks  I did a lot of research as this is for my wife an important experience...

.We do not need a lot of service( in fact are a bit embarrassed by having a servant/butler), and the Oceania Suite seemed to work in its layout...  not video/tv people. thanks..wife loves to do art and access to the art center is of most importance.  Too having a real dining table so she does not have to go to the different venues so having a guy to bring in meals is nice and the whirlpool works.   

Your a good couple to bring your daughter ..it must be hard. In the end, love seems to find a way to be there for those that matter to us. God bless.