CRUISE CEO's Call for Return to Service in US

Formula280SS

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

I believe the poster is saying they're losing money at the 30 to 40% of capacity they're currently sailing with.

MSC is sailing at 70%, so I was curious why the poster claimed they were losing money with every sailing. They're not.

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

MSC is sailing at 70%, so I was curious why the poster claimed they were losing money with every sailing. They're not.

The poster believes they are sailing at 30 to 40% of capacity, not 70%, and if this article about an MSC August 31 cruise is indicative of MSC's percentage of capacity, the poster is correct:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5572/

"There are about 2,000 passengers on board, on a ship that can accommodate more than 6,000. The distancing is, in fact, ensured."

CLIA  should be the one expressing any dissatisfaction with the CDC. Some CEO's who are just taking upon themselves to release their personal displeasure are not accomplishing much. Cruise lines need to work together.  A powerful impact is only accomplished if the major cruise lines unite and have a common message and common safety guidelines they agree upon. No need for CLIA to exist anymore if the major cruise lines  who are CLIA members have their own 'experts'  and CEO's that  feel the need to be more dramatic and outspoken than others.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The poster believes they are sailing at 30 to 40% of capacity, not 70%, and if this article about an MSC August 31 cruise is indicative of MSC's percentage of capacity, the poster is correct:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5572/

"There are about 2,000 passengers on board, on a ship that can accommodate more than 6,000. The distancing is, in fact, ensured."

Here is where I read yesterday that the MSC Grandiosa is sailing at 70%:

https://www.traveloffpath.com/msc-completing-5th-cruise-as-company-sets-standard-for-industry/

12 hours ago, coaster said:

CLIA  should be the one expressing any dissatisfaction with the CDC. Some CEO's who are just taking upon themselves to release their personal displeasure are not accomplishing much. Cruise lines need to work together.  A powerful impact is only accomplished if the major cruise lines unite and have a common message and common safety guidelines they agree upon. No need for CLIA to exist anymore if the major cruise lines  who are CLIA members have their own 'experts'  and CEO's that  feel the need to be more dramatic and outspoken than others.

I agree with this. According to this article, the CLIA is doing what it can to encourage the CDC to amend its guidance.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/CLIA-adopts-guidelines-for-a-safe-return-to-US-cruising

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Here is where I read yesterday that the MSC Grandiosa is sailing at 70%:

https://www.traveloffpath.com/msc-completing-5th-cruise-as-company-sets-standard-for-industry/

You're misinterpreting what the article says. The exact statement is "The MSC Grandiosa has been limited to 70% of its capacity", which means the maximum number of passengers that will be allowed is capped at 70% of capacity. It does not say how many passengers have actually been on board. Could a sailing or sailings have been at 70%? Sure...but the the article I previously cited says, at least for that sailing, they were at about 1/3 capacity, and we have no information on any of their other sailings, so you can't say they've been sailing at 70%. Think of it this way... if a baseball stadium has a capacity 50,00 people it doesn't mean there are 50,000 people at every game. 

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You're misinterpreting what the article says. The exact statement is "The MSC Grandiosa has been limited to 70% of its capacity", which means the maximum number of passengers that will be allowed is capped at 70% of capacity. It does not say how many passengers have actually been on board. Could a sailing or sailings have been at 70%? Sure...but the the article I previously cited says, at least for that sailing, they were at about 1/3 capacity, and we have no information on any of their other sailings, so you can't say they've been sailing at 70%. Think of it this way... if a baseball stadium has a capacity 50,00 people it doesn't mean there are 50,000 people at every game. 

I understand what you're saying, but I think you and I will just have to agree to disagree. I think we have different interpretations of what 70% means in this context. Or maybe we do agree. In any case, it seems to me that the Grandiosa is only allowed up to a maximum of 70%, which doesn't mean it will fill all of those cabins. I *do* know because I was talking with a couple of people on the initial sailing that there were plenty of people onboard the ship without it seeming like too many. I also have been following several cruise influencers on YouTube and they report pretty steady numbers on the other lines that are sailing. I would anticipate many cruise lines starting out at 30-40% max and gradually increasing that figure assuming that initial sailings go well.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I also have been following several cruise influencers on YouTube

So-called social media influencers are the last people I would believe about anything. They're doing it for the purpose of self aggrandizement and are about as trustworthy as politicians...maybe less so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

So-called social media influencers are the last people I would believe about anything. They're doing it for the purpose of self aggrandizement and are about as trustworthy as politicians...maybe less so.

Wow, okay buddy. I choose to follow people online with a lot more cruise expertise than I, the ones I follow are actually quite balanced in their pluses and minuses when it comes to cruises, and I've learned lots of tips along the way. I'm sorry your view is so jaundiced but you're entitled to it.

• Like 1

Back on topic 🤞 is this piece of the resumption planning protocol. 

Interesting that on-site, pre-cruise at terminal rapid testing is not currently a requirement (which I believe is a cornerstone of Italian and MSC Grandiosa resumption protocols for over a month).

“All guests joining a ship,” reads the Healthy Sail Panel report, “regardless of method of travel to the ship” should be tested “between 5 days and 24 hours before boarding and receive a negative result that is shared with the cruise operator before coming aboard.”

They added that “if rapid, reliable and clinically valid testing options become widely available, the addition of a second test at the pier or immediately before boarding would improve confidence in the testing regimen’s ability.”

Personally, if C-19 is still active, without a proven vaccine and/or therapeutic, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the on-site, pre-cruise at terminal rapid testing employed by the Italian and MSC Grandiosa resumption protocols applied here in the USA.

Just IMO.

CRUISE NEWS

What Cruisers Need to Know About Masks, Excursions, More

Published
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 11:13 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Where do you get the information that sailing at 70% capacity is "loosing" (sic) money? I don't think that's accurate.

I never said that. I said that they are loosing money because they sail at 30-40% capacity. Even if they are allowed to sail at 60-70% capacity this does not help if there are not enogh bookings ro reach this load factor.

19 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

I never said that. I said that they are loosing money because they sail at 30-40% capacity. Even if they are allowed to sail at 60-70% capacity this does not help if there are not enogh bookings ro reach this load factor.

The way your wrote your post, it looked like you were saying that, I apologize if I misunderstood what you wrote. I would agree that IF there aren't enough bookings to reach even 60-70%, that wouldn't help. However, that isn't known. I am optimistic that the cruise lines WILL get that many people, because there is tremendous pent-up demand from what I've been reading.

On 9/21/2020 at 5:11 PM, DCGuy64 said:

It's not true that you have to wear a mask on a plane all the time. My wife and I flew yesterday and I made sure to have plenty to eat and drink. You are obviously allowed to remove your mask for those things. Do what I do and pack lots of snacks! LOL 😂🍰🍸🍜🍪

The virus is super smart it knows when to pause while people eat lol. 

• Haha 2