So I have the Mardi Gras booked!

chill6x6

I have to admit I get kind of get a weird feeling booking a completely new class of ship. Same goes for a completely new cabin class.  No real way to handpick a cabin, just read the info currently available and look at a conceptual graphic photo of the cabin and just go with it. No REAL way to know EXACTLY what I'm getting!  But that's exactly what I did.  This is so unlike me. Like many/most cruisers we cut our teeth on a Carnival cruise, the Holiday, in 2007. I took a lot of cruises aboard Carnival and probably would have added many more cruises  except for one item, suite perks.  It made no sense to me to pay the price for suite on Carnival with competitor cruises lines offering many more included suite benefits for very little more. So stray I did and haven't returned since. Enter the Mardi Gras and cheap deposits...

The Excel suites are just what I've been looking for from Carnival. Real suite PERKS! Simple items like a coffee maker all the way to a concierge, included drink package, COMPLEMENTARY room service, sparkling wine and fruit bowl, laundry service, and access to a new exclusive area, Loft 19. And more!  All these are very similar to what is offered by Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and even Celebrity.  The suite itself looks great from the floorplans and graphics one can currently see including a large wraparound balcony with a dining table ON the balcony with lounge chairs included. The suite itself looks to be a very big cabin with a huge wraparound balcony. Check, check, and check!

The kicker, cheap deposits....WHAT? I can book a very competitive suite for $198 deposit? Newest ship? Among the nicest cabins on the ship? $198??? In these current uncertain times this made SO much sense to me! With many cruise lines having a deposit of $500, some even $1500 and many deposits non-refundable for a suite this just makes sense. I find it refreshing to not have so much cash tied up in a reservation that may never happen.

So new ship, new suite class, suite perks, great looking cabin, and low deposits....Carnival I'm all in!  See ya October 2021!   

• Like 3

As soon as my discounted gift cards arrive, I'm booking for February 18, 2023.

Even though I'm 889 days out, I've already plotted out having dinner at six different venues (Farenheit 555, Cucina del Capitano, Rudi's Seagrill, Ji Ji's Asian Kitchen, Bonsai Teppenyaki, and the main dining room 2x), lunch at seven different venues (Guy's Burger Joint, Blue Iguana, Street Eats, Guy's Pig & Anchor, Fresh Creations, Mongolian Wok, Bistro 1396), and even breakfast at five different venues (Lido, Sea Day Brunch, Big Chicken, Blue Iguana, and even Pizzeria del Capitano).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

The Excel suites are just what I've been looking for from Carnival. Real suite PERKS! Simple items like a coffee maker all the way to a concierge, included drink package,

ok, that last part got me curious: included drink package. But it is just Bottomless Bubbles, right? Useful for some, not so much me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

ok, that last part got me curious: included drink package. But it is just Bottomless Bubbles, right? Useful for some, not so much me.

Yes it is just the bottomless bubbles, for that price I was hoping it was the CHEERS plan

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sugar67 said:

Yes it is just the bottomless bubbles, for that price I was hoping it was the CHEERS plan

19 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

11 hours ago, Sugar67 said:

Yes it's just bottomless bubbles.  But that's SOMETHING. 😀 I have to wonder if one can get a credit for that applied to CHEERS? 

On 9/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, chill6x6 said:

Yes it's just bottomless bubbles.  But that's SOMETHING. 😀 I have to wonder if one can get a credit for that applied to CHEERS? 

I am hoping for a credit for the CHEERS package, too.  Otherwise, the perk is useless to me.  Carnival doesn't have the suite perks that other lines do, but before the excel suites, they also didn't charge an inflated price.  Free room service isn't much unless they add more options.  If they allow you to order room service from the MDR, now that would be great.  Most lines have a private lounge and dining room for suite guests.  The excel aft suites look amazing.  We have one booked.  So far, I've enjoyed Carnival for the fun and other lines for the suite experience.  We'll see how the Mardi Gras works out.  Excited to see the new class of ship, for sure.  

• 2 weeks later...

OK, you do have my attention!

I have not cruise with Carnival for years.  We now try to do suites, but I've always heard that Carnival offers no suite perks. 

Am I, perhaps, mistaken with Mardi Gras?

What suite perks are offered on Mardi Gras?  What level suite do you have to book to get some nice perks?  There's no private restaurant or pool offered, is there?

Like I said, we have not cruise Carnival for years, so can you tell me what is the difference between the Cheers package and Bubbles?

4 hours ago, mafig said:

OK, you do have my attention!

I have not cruise with Carnival for years.  We now try to do suites, but I've always heard that Carnival offers no suite perks. 

Am I, perhaps, mistaken with Mardi Gras?

What suite perks are offered on Mardi Gras?  What level suite do you have to book to get some nice perks?  There's no private restaurant or pool offered, is there?

Like I said, we have not cruise Carnival for years, so can you tell me what is the difference between the Cheers package and Bubbles?

Basic Carnival suite benefits include priority embarkation and debarkation, a larger cabin, some cookies, and a free bag of laundry. The price point is much lower than other cruise lines that have a true suite class. To get the improved benefits, you need to book an Excel class suite on Mardi Gras. The cabins look amazing!  In addition to the basic suite amenities, you have access to a private pool deck with cabanas for rent. The cabanas can be rented from others not in Excel suites, but Excel suites have priority reservations. You get a private concierge phone number, free room service, free movie rentals and a soda package. The bubbles package doesn't include water or juices or alcohol, just soda.  The Cheers package has everything included. You get a fruit plate and sparkling wine at embarkation. There is no dedicated suite restaurant, but you get guaranteed specialty restaurant reservations.  That doesn't include the Teppanyaki restaurant.  Carnival has limited room service.  I am not sure if they will expand room service for Excel suites.  A lot will be revealed after the ship sails.  We cruise in suites on other lines and really enjoy the private restaurant and lounge, which Carnival won't have.  We enjoy Carnival for the fun atmosphere and are looking forward to see what the Mardi Gras has to offer.         

• Thanks 1

As far as price goes....not a whole lot of difference in my sailing aboard Mardi Gras and the same week for Allure of the Seas in a GS. Mardi Gras Excel corner suite 7-day western caribbean- $5695... Allure of the Seas GS 7-day western Caribbean- $5797.  On Allure you won't have the included laundry service but will gain access to the Suite Lounge(select included drinks), concierge in suite lounge, suite restaurant Coastal Kitchen, suite sun deck,  room service off the MDR menu during dining times, and reserved seats for shows.