On this date

bennybear

Bennybear...thanks for sharing,  It brought back memories of a cruise we took a couple of years ago of the Croatian Coast.  It was with  Katerina Cruises.  Small  ship, kind of yacht like.  Only 30 pax.  Other than Split and Dubrovnik all of the ports were places the "liners'" can't go to. No pool on the ship...we just anchored, jumped or dived off the back and the ship being so small we were close enough to just swim to shore.  It was one of our favorite trips. Very diverse passengers as the line markets to English speaking countries and there were folks from US/Canada/Australia/New Zealand and South Africa.  I think there were only 6 of us from USA.

• Like 1

Split was a port that I was looking forward to visiting.  King Neptune was having a bad day when we arrived and the seas were not guest-friendly for tender operations.  There were some staff that had to be put ashore for some reason.  I remember watching that sole tender rockin' and rollin' and pitching as it made its way to shore and back to the ship.  

Thanks for the photos.  

• Like 1

Great photos.

While I have thousands of cruise photos, with some from the 70's, we don't cruise at this time of year. Last time I was on a cruise ship at the end of September was on Sun Princess in 1980. Once we get to January, I can contribute some from this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

bennybear,

Will you identify the food in your photo?  I think I see small shrimp, but does the larger plate contain?  Baby Octopus?  The beer looks good! 

I had wine 😄, but DH likes his beer.  I think it was  octopus and shrimp

Edited by bennybear

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

I had wine 😄, but DH likes his beer.  I think it was  octopus and shrimp

That's what I thought it was.  When I dined at a restaurant in Rome, I ordered an antipasto and found baby octopus included in the dish.  Had not expected that and had not tried such.  (I have tried Calamari and never liked them except once.  Had to be the way they were prepared, I decided.)  I tried them and found them palatable.  Would I purposely order them again now?  No.  

I was a Zoology major in college and mollusks were among the species that we studied and dissected.  True or not:  I had a professor say that the genus name for squid was Loligo.  In a Polynesian language, that translated into "candy", he said.  The squid would be captured and eaten as "candy" without being cooked.  As a college student, the thought was revolting in the 1960's; it's still in my memory decades later.     

• Like 1