No dinner buffet option

jwc1027

My take is its more about cost savings than a concern over social distancing. Its one less venue  that needs to be staffed and serviced with meal provisions. While I'm sure each cruise and each ship is different its been my experience that WJ evening buffet is lightly attended, food wasted,  and usually a place for officers and the like to grab a meal. If ships cruise at less than capacity something has to give and the almighty dollar dictates cutting back.  The more one cuts the fewer areas available for social distancing,,,so best of luck cruise lines with that dilemma.

44 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If they can manage the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch when many people use it, then they can certainly manage it  for dinner when many people use the MDR instead.

I do agree that they can handle the windjammer crowd if they choose to. I think it is more they can funnel more people from the the dining rooms to that area.

In any case i expect whatever they start out with will change at some point as they figure out what works and what doesn't in the different markets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

If they can manage the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch when many people use it, then they can certainly manage it  for dinner when many people use the MDR instead.

I think the issue is more of a crew issue.  For breakfast and lunch, many assistant waiters work in the WJ but are in the MDR for dinner.  They are typically not needed in the WJ for dinner as there are more people who go to the MDR for dinner.  The system that they are planning on putting in place might require more crew, so they can move crowds in and out of the MDR quicker, so all WJ staff might be moving to the MDR at dinner to help.  Time will tell...

• Like 1