No dinner buffet option

jwc1027

52 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's very much true for the sailings out of Singapore.  When cruises restart out of US ports, it might be different -- we'll have to wait and see. 

It doesn't make much sense though. If "social distancing" is of such a benefit you would think the last thing RCI would do is shut down a very popular dining venue and force more people into the MDR. And if the Windjammer can be run safely for two meals of the day then it certainly can be run safely for the third.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It doesn't make much sense though. If "social distancing" is of such a benefit you would think the last thing RCI would do is shut down a very popular dining venue and force more people into the MDR. And if the Windjammer can be run safely for two meals of the day then it certainly can be run safely for the third.

I definitely agree.  Costa cruises which has restarted in Europe has it open throughout the day.  Not sure what the logic behind it being closed for dinner does.  Royal decided to do it that way when starting their cruises to nowhere out of Singapore. 

37 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So masks everywhere outside of your cabin except when eating or it might get wet and no Windjammer for dinner. Staying home is sounding more an more appealing all the time.

In Asia people are fully ok with wearing their masks, it's part of their lives already since before COVID, hence this will not be an issue at all for them, just gives them additional confidence to book a cruise.

RCL will need to implement the same rules when starting to sail out of the US, especially if they plan to do so by begining of next year when numbers will not look better. Maybe with the only change that WJ will actually also be open for dinner.  Just hope for them that they will have lot's of disclaimers read in order to avoid complaints when passengers will board. "Caution: contents Hot" resulting in RCL being sued for taking people their freedom or something along those lines 🙉🤡🙉

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

So masks everywhere outside of your cabin except when eating or it might get wet and no Windjammer for dinner. Staying home is sounding more an more appealing all the time.

Agreed, i wont be paying for a cruise with any restrictions . 

I will just have to wait it out , and thats ok with me.

In fact, my wife just said she wouldnt  even go for free with restrictions.

• Like 1

Anyone remember cruising years ago - like the 1980's or earlier?  Dinner was in the dining room.  There was NO huge buffet.  If you didn't want dinner in the dining room,  you could have limited room service and  I believe you could  pick up a packaged salad or sandwich  in the windjammer.  NO BUFFET.    And Windjammer  lunch was basically salads and a grill ( Burgers etc) and just one or two hot options.   Not the big deal it is today.  Don't recall the  options for breakfast. 

Not better or worse,  cruising was much different then.  You ate at the same  dining room table for breakfast,  lunch and dinner.  I recall if you wanted a light lunch,  you ate in the Windjammer.  I think we may have been assigned  MDR breakfast and lunch times  as well as dinner, but my memory is cloudy on that.

There will be LOTS of adjustments.  Some perhaps  temporary and maybe some permanent.  Expect change and you won't be disappointed.  

M

• Like 1

People need to understand that COVID will leave some marks, like other things did in the past. Hence, we will see certain things on the longer run, especially when it comes to hygiene. Maybe we will see ships in the long run at max 90% capacity, but instead prices will go up 10% to absorb this, a premium most will be willing to pay. Certian thins in Windjammer will likely change as well, one thing hopefully for the long run, that food will only be served by staff permanently. The element of masks might also stay with us on permanent basis, especially during flu season etc.

I hope they don't do away with the dinner buffet entirely. While I don't usually go there, it is nice to grab a bite there if you have a late port day. My kids also prefer to stop by and skip the more formal dinner in the MDR. 

It really doesn't make sense to do away with a large dining area in the evenings when a lot of people are likely needing to eat around the same time. The only thing that would make sense is if they were to do something similar to Disney and convert the buffet to a casual sit down restaurant at night. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poocher said:

There is no such thing as a fashionable fanny pack 😁

Haha! Back in the day, when fanny packs were everywhere, I kept getting bigger ones to hold all of my "essential stuff". When I flew to SJ to visit my nephew, he met me at the airport and said, "WTH is around your waist! It looks like a suitcase!" Then he said, "And what's the whistle for?" Haha! I remember saying, "in case somebody tries to steal it! My life is in there!" Now, I rarely even carry a purse anywhere but usually wear a zippered lanyard (small this time) on a ship but sometimes opt for an across the body small handbag. Looking back now, I bet I did look pretty ridiculous to my nephew and lots of others!

5 minutes ago, 3monkeys4me said:

I hope they don't do away with the dinner buffet entirely. While I don't usually go there, it is nice to grab a bite there if you have a late port day. My kids also prefer to stop by and skip the more formal dinner in the MDR. 

It really doesn't make sense to do away with a large dining area in the evenings when a lot of people are likely needing to eat around the same time. The only thing that would make sense is if they were to do something similar to Disney and convert the buffet to a casual sit down restaurant at night. 

Unless first cruises are like at 20% I cant see them shutting it down when they need social distancing more not less.

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

There will be LOTS of adjustments.  Some perhaps  temporary and maybe some permanent.  Expect change and you won't be disappointed.  

M

That completely depends on what the changes are. And as for those cruises in the 80's, I'm glad that I wasn't there.

Other items in the Singapore list - masks while waiting in line for water slides and flow rider.  Guess you have to tuck them in suit when on the ride?  And they will tell you where you can get a covid test within 5 days of cruise... worldwide availability?  If in port are they available same day or night before for folks flying in?  Will see how this develops.

15 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Other items in the Singapore list - masks while waiting in line for water slides and flow rider.  Guess you have to tuck them in suit when on the ride?  And they will tell you where you can get a covid test within 5 days of cruise... worldwide availability?  If in port are they available same day or night before for folks flying in?  Will see how this develops.

These restart cruises are for Singapore residents only - so no flying in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poocher said:

There is no such thing as a fashionable fanny pack 😁

Well I don't care for them personally....However, the new high-end designer ones

are called Belt Bags....their not the same anymore.

Our oldest DD has a couple (LV & Channel) and the way she wears them they look great on her !

4 hours ago, loman said:

Agreed, i wont be paying for a cruise with any restrictions . 

I will just have to wait it out , and thats ok with me.

In fact, my wife just said she wouldnt  even go for free with restrictions.

One of the great things about cash vs. FCC's is that cash has no expiration date. You don't have to use it unlil you are good and ready to. I don't want to feel obligated and have to compromise and take a cruise until conditions suite me just so not to forfeit the value of an FCC.