Everything "Far Eastern Horizons": Hong Kong to Tokyo

Peregrina651

Even though we are still not back on the high seas, it is time to start talking ship! In particular, let's hear from people who have done this itinerary with Viking and from people who are planning on it over the next couple of years. 

The goal is to gather as much information as we can about the itinerary. This won't be easy, since unlike "Homelands", that has a few ships doing the itinerary all summer long, this itinerary runs only a couple of times a year. That means our pool or "resident experts" is small.

I know we have the ports of call section where we can ask general questions about the ports visited but I am interested in Viking specific information. I also know some of the information may be out of date by the time we start sailing again but we have to start somewhere. 

Currently, Viking is planning to visit these ports: HONG KONG, TAIPEI, NAGASAKI, KAGOSHIMA, BEPPU, HIROSHIMA, OSAKA, SHIMIZU and TOKYO.  
Map of Far Eastern Horizons itinerary

Here are my questions, just to get the ball rolling:

1. Does anyone have the Dailies from their cruise that they are willing to share?
  2. Does anyone have the tour prices. We know that prices will change by the time get there, but knowing the old prices helps with sticker shock.
  3. Where did they park the ship in each port. This will change from sailing to sailing but it is nice to know what the possibilities are? Was it convenient?
  4. Was there a shuttle available? Where did it take you?
  5. Which Viking tours did you take? What was the highlight of the tour? Where you happy with your choice or in hindsight should you have made a different choice? 
  6. Is there anything in the port that you regret not having done or would have done instead of what you did do?
  7. What is the best piece of advice you have to share with us?

To those who are booked for the coming months, please join the conversation. The more the merrier.
Ask questions. Voice your concerns. Share a link to your roll call.
  • Like 1

PORT ADDRESS:

HONG KONG:

Ocean Terminal

(There is another pier Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, but in most of the occasions Viking will be at Ocean Terminal)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ocean+terminal/@22.2950298,114.1646912,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3404015bcb2d1d6f:0xd5868a4edf3b153d!8m2!3d22.2950249!4d114.1668799

KEELUNG (TAIPEI):

Berth 3, West Passenger Terminal

https://www.google.com/maps/place/西岸旅客碼頭/@25.1349031,121.7404869,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x345d4e6aebce3c07:0x3c25fdae6dd0c636!8m2!3d25.1349016!4d121.7412172

NAGASAKI:

Matsugae International Cruise Terminal

https://www.google.com/maps/search/松が枝国際ターミナル/@32.736306,129.867242,19z/data=!3m1!4b1

KAGOSHIMA:

Kagoshima Marine Port

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marine+Port+Kagoshima+large+cruise+ship+docks/@31.5355678,130.5538469,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xdf98d34e6f81b9ef?sa=X&hl=zh-TW&ved=2ahUKEwjq-uLM1LPsAhWp7XMBHStPAO4Q_BIwCnoECBEQBQ

BEPPU:

Pier 4, Beppu Cruise Port

https://www.google.com/maps/place/別府国際観光港第4埠頭/@33.3093049,131.5019916,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3546a7410cc8868b:0x11b1f07049c368a4!8m2!3d33.3093004!4d131.5041803

HIROSHIMA:

Ujinahatoba Park

https://www.google.com/maps/search/宇品波止場公園/@34.3532262,132.4684348,17z/data=!3m1!4b1

OSAKA:

Tempozan Passenger Terminal

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tempozan+Passenger+Terminal/@34.6569869,135.4304488,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6000e88cb26e751f:0xeab85412afcb6e95!8m2!3d34.6569854!4d135.4311792

SHIMIZU:

Shimizu Marine Terminal

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shimizu+Marine+Terminal/@35.0091561,138.4963188,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x601a31425aa630ef:0x7f505357738ae57d!8m2!3d35.009155!4d138.496866

TOKYO:

Tokyo International Terminal

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tokyo+International+Cruise+Terminal/@35.61774,139.768914,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x60188b66ae284093:0x71f33a1a64eaf01f!8m2!3d35.6177357!4d139.7711027

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on a different cruise but we were also docked in Hong Kong at the terminal CruiseWonderland referenced. The included tour there gave us a good overview.

We were bussed to the Peak Tram-the funicular that takes you up to Victoria Peak. Up too the guide gave us an overview of the City and we had some (short) free time to wander and see the views.  The bus met us up there and we drove downhill. There were other groups who were driven up to the Peak and then rode the funicular down. Viking (or the local agency) seemed to have this well organized. While everywhere was crowded, it was much better than if all 930 of us arrived almost at the same time. 

Our next stop was Aberdeen where we boarded fake motorized “junks” for a quick ride around this harbor including a drive by of the Jumbo (Jeez it is huge) Floating Restaurant.  From there we headed (back on the bus) towards Stanley.  The guide pointed out sights among the way-Cricket Fields being the one I remember the most. 

The main reason for visiting Stanley was to shop in the relatively compact market. Since this was our last port, it was great for us to pick up a gift or two for family. Since it was mostly a clothing and gift market (and not food) it held little interest for us but there was a nice waterside promenade at one end of the market which we enjoyed. From there we went back to the ship. 

The worst part of the tour was the amount of time we spent in traffic getting from place to place. Hong Kong is big and crowded. I suspect one could do a similar tour using public transportation but since we were at the end of a month long mostly DIY Asia trip we were just fine to let Viking handle it and go where they told us to go. LOL

Hong Kong does a sound and light show with their skyscrapers and that evening Viking did a nice job of setting up the upper outside decks for us to enjoy the show-passed sparkling wine, piped in the music, etc. The show was a great way to end our trip BUT if you have been to Shanghai, theirs is a more impressive light show. 

Other cruisers aboard who had been to Hong Kong before went to Macau rather than taking the included tour. Most said it was “meh”  I Seem to recall that most regretted paying Viking for the excursion and seem to think they would have done better to take a cab or other transport on their own. I know many crewmembers went to Disneyland and seemed to really enjoy that. 

Our air home was booked through Viking so we were taken to the hotel attached to the airport the next day after a late breakfast aboard (grilled lamb chops please!). For those whose flights were scheduled to depart before 6 pm, a hotel conference room with banquet type tables and chairs was available along with coffee, tea and cookies (biscuits). I know some of those folks were not happy with the situation and would have preferred to have a later bus to the airport. The room was a little tight for the number of people and I think they expected that the promised refreshments would be more like meals. 

For those like us who had late evening flights (ours left at 23:30), a hotel room was assigned.  This was great for us. We walked over to the airport (10 min) and had some great noodles at one of the many restaurants located landslide.  We then came back and took a nap, trying to make sure we didn’t want/need to sleep on the 12 hour flight to Seattle. After a shower we headed back to the airport and boarded our flight. We were scheduled to arrive in Seattle at 9 pm so by not sleeping on the overnight flight, we were more than ready to climb in bed upon arrival. We experienced no jet lag and our body clocks were reset almost immediately. 

I am envious of “your” cruise. This was our first time in Asia.  Hopefully it won’t be our last. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We took this exact cruise and sailed from Hong Kong on October 17, 2019. Over the years, I have gotten a lot of helpful info from Cruise Critic so I’d like to help future travelers if I can. I don’t have any of the port info or the prices but I kept a journal and just reread my impressions of the ports and excursions.

We had been to Hong Kong before and seen what was on the included tour. So we booked an 8 hour tour of Lantau Island with Viator (at about half the cost of the ship’s tour). The Big Buddha was interesting and it was nice to get out of the city. We thought we would be fine because we didn’t sail until 11pm but we found out we had to be back on board by 5 for a mandatory lifeboat drill at 5:30. Our guide couldn’t guarantee that we would be back. Fortunately, we ran into a couple who were able to help us navigate our way back. The subways are very clean and clearly marked but we didn’t know that until we got there.

We did the included half day tour of Taipei and we were fortunate to have an excellent guide. We have been to Asia before but not to Taipei and we really enjoyed it.

We went on the included tour to the Nagasaki Peace Park because we had been to Nagasaki before. It is definitely worth seeing but the included tour does not include the Atomic Bomb Museum or Deijima.

It didn’t seem like there was much to see in Kagoshima so we did the included tour. We went to a scenic spot and a museum and that’s about it.

We did the included tour of Beppu and it was worth it to see the hot springs but I don’t recall anything else.

We took a private tour of Hiroshima with two other couples and it was excellent. We took a taxi to a train to a ferry to Miyajima Island. Loved seeing 500 deer walking around. The iconic red Torii gate was being restored so we couldn’t see it. We went to a Shinto Shrine and saw a purification ceremony and then we saw lots of stone Buddhas with knit caps. We went to the Peace Park and the museum and learned so much. Definitely a highlight of the trip. We didn’t sail until noon the next day so I took the shuttle to town and walked around looking at the downtown and the gardens.

Kyoto was the highlight of our trip and I wish we could have spent more time there. Six of us were on a private tour and we had a wonderful guide. We loved the rickshaw ride through the Bamboo Forest (touristy but still worth doing), ate in a restaurant where we grabbed our sushi off a conveyor belt, and then we saw the beautiful Golden Pavillion (not to be missed). We went to the Geisha district but it was too early to see any geishas. Then we went to the Inaritaisa (?) Shrine and saw thousands of red Torii gates. We ended a wonderful day with a 10 minute bullet train ride back to Osaka.

We took a private tour of Shimizu and were so fortunate to be in the 10% who were able to view Mt. Fiji from the new observatory. Also went to a green tea farm and Miho Pine Grove which were ok but not outstanding.
We then spent three days in Tokyo partly with a guide and partly on our own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did Lantau Island on our second visit to Hong Kong.  We did take the ship's tour and it was excellent, great guide and a very small group!  The cable car ride was great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LunaSeaRetreat said:

Here are my postings of our 2019 Hong Kong to Vancouver Viking cruise. Mainly about the included tours but some additional information.

LunaSeaRetreat, THANK YOU for sharing this. It is a great thread.

I have had it on my list for a while with plans to go back to it as the trip got closer. Eventually, my hope is to create a document the integrates all the comments shared tour by tour (giving credit where credit is due and links).

On 10/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, Clay Clayton said:

We were bussed to the Peak Tram-the funicular that takes you up to Victoria Peak. Up too the guide gave us an overview of the City and we had some (short) free time to wander and see the views.  The bus met us up there and we drove downhill. There were other groups who were driven up to the Peak and then rode the funicular down. Viking (or the local agency) seemed to have this well organized. While everywhere was crowded, it was much better than if all 930 of us arrived almost at the same time. 

Our next stop was Aberdeen where we boarded fake motorized “junks” for a quick ride around this harbor including a drive by of the Jumbo (Jeez it is huge) Floating Restaurant.  From there we headed (back on the bus) towards Stanley.  The guide pointed out sights among the way-Cricket Fields being the one I remember the most. 

The main reason for visiting Stanley was to shop in the relatively compact market. Since this was our last port, it was great for us to pick up a gift or two for family. Since it was mostly a clothing and gift market (and not food) it held little interest for us but there was a nice waterside promenade at one end of the market which we enjoyed. From there we went back to the ship. 

The worst part of the tour was the amount of time we spent in traffic getting from place to place. Hong Kong is big and crowded. I suspect one could do a similar tour using public transportation but since we were at the end of a month long mostly DIY Asia trip we were just fine to let Viking handle it and go where they told us to go. LOL

I am working on gathering all the information about the tours into one file.  I'm just starting and already I want to share a compare and contrast Clay's description vs the official Viking description, which reads as follows:

See the legendary highlights of Hong Kong, from its sweeping vistas to its most intimate corners. Meet your guide and ascend to Victoria Peak, the 1,800-foot summit that soars over the city’s skyscrapers. Known as “the Peak” by locals, it offers breathtaking views of the metropolis, Victoria Harbor and Kowloon Peninsula. Along Hong Kong Island’s south shore, browse the open air Stanley Market, a picturesque warren of lanes lined with a rich array of open air stalls selling clothing, jewelry, ornaments and various keepsakes. Explore the locale of Aberdeen, a fascinating juxtaposition of modern and ancient. Next, embark a traditional sampan for a cruise through the harbor’s floating village, where hundreds of people live on fishing junks—a stark contrast to the high-rise community that has risen on the island. After time to explore, return to your ship.

3 Hong Kong tips:

1) A favorite memory of Hong Kong when there for work last year - 

the Japanese white strawberries from a grocery store in that big indoor mall right near the cruise ship terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui.

I brought some for the flight to eat on the way home and was SO GLAD I did.  Would have been famished without them!  Plus I made a friend for life by sharing with a woman traveling with a church group from mainland China enroute to Alaska.

2) The most unexpected thing I experienced - Hong Kong taxi drivers' strong dislike of mainland Chinese.   I can't repeat the things they said...

3) Favorite museum:  Hong Kong History Museum also in Tsim Sha Tsui.

https://hk.history.museum/en_US/web/mh/

That gift shop had my family's favorite souvenirs -  the SD memory card holders.  Credit card size card holders with a pretty representation of Hong Kong on the front.

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, delete that #3. 

Looks like the Hong Kong Museum's main exhibit is being "revamped" to rewrite history..
It's going to be closed for 2 years.

Glad I saw it when I did, and took so many pictures. 

Articles about this have started popping up in my Google News feed
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/3105875/museums-hong-kong-story-exhibition-go-hi-tech-major-revamp

Ex:  "Politics in Hong Kong was also covered in the exhibition, with a timeline accompanied by pictures, including of the 1967 riots, which lasted eight months and left 51 dead, as well as Hongkongers’ involvement in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square student protests of 1989."

If anyone reads this post years from now and goes to the museum,  I'd love to know if any mention of Tiananmen Square can still be found.  

Apparently tons of people this week are going to the museum to take pictures of the story of Hong Kong as it is told now in the Museum. 

Meant to include the TripAdvisor link in original post
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294217-d311604-Reviews-Hong_Kong_Museum_of_History-Hong_Kong.html
Though the pictures don't seem to do it justice...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Well, delete that #3. 

Looks like the Hong Kong Museum's main exhibit is being "revamped" to rewrite history..
It's going to be closed for 2 years.

Glad I saw it when I did, and took so many pictures. 

Articles about this have started popping up in my Google News feed
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/3105875/museums-hong-kong-story-exhibition-go-hi-tech-major-revamp

Ex:  "Politics in Hong Kong was also covered in the exhibition, with a timeline accompanied by pictures, including of the 1967 riots, which lasted eight months and left 51 dead, as well as Hongkongers’ involvement in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square student protests of 1989."

If anyone reads this post years from now and goes to the museum,  I'd love to know if any mention of Tiananmen Square can still be found.  

Apparently tons of people this week are going to the museum to take pictures of the story of Hong Kong as it is told now in the Museum. 

Meant to include the TripAdvisor link in original post
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294217-d311604-Reviews-Hong_Kong_Museum_of_History-Hong_Kong.html
Though the pictures don't seem to do it justice...

Yes, yesterday it was the last day of exhibition, and there were long queues for entry over the past week. I can check it after the they re-open later. Hopefully I will still remember this thread. Thank you SempreMare for following the news of our city.

Oh my gosh @Cruise Wonderland, I *loved* Hong Kong.   Such an enchanting and fascinating city.

I stayed at the Langham in Tsim Sha Tsui where I was treated like royalty. 

Day after our visit to the museum, rain changed plans to indoor, and we decided to have Peking Duck at the Peninsula Hotel for lunch.  What an amazing experience!    The server was wonderful; before the end of the meal we even discussed her career ambitions.  Peking Duck + Peninsula + Hong Kong was beauiful to take in.  So much history in 1 building and 1 experience.  That small ?upstairs?  bar at the Peninsula would be a great covert meeting place for spys :-).   

Thinking about the rain makes me remember that I visited the museum store twice before I left.  I returned to get more stamps as well;  they had a limit on how many I could buy on first trip.   Also - the HK Museum had the most interesting umbrella holders... I think I took a pic. 

Now I must protect my own Hong Kong emblem credit card size SD card holder from family that wants to lift it! 

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:10 AM, Peregrina651 said:

I am working on gathering all the information about the tours into one file. 

hello Peregrina651.

A self guided tour.

For some tranquility amongst the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong city.

https://www.hongkong.net/attractions/nan-lian-garden.html

https://www.hongkong.net/attractions/chi-lin-nunnery.html

Both highly recommended.

Enjoy your research.

LM

Edited by Little Monty
error

LM, thanks for the links. They will be very helpful for our time in Hong Kong prior to boarding the ship.

Sadly I expect that we won't be getting to do much exploring on our own in April and will have to use Viking shorex in order to leave the ship --if we get to go at all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Understanding Japan Audiobook By Mark J. Ravina,                                                                                The Great Courses cover art

I wanted to learn more about Japan.

I'm enjoying this one because it isn't just a bunch of names and dates. It covers some history (enough to give an overview of the political development) but it also covers religion, language, literature, theater, art, etc. I'm only halfway through but wanted share my discovery.

We did the Far East & Alaska cruise on the Viking Orion in April 2019. It was an absolute knockout cruise and we made wonderful friends. We spent three nights in Hong Kong before the cruise and then two weeks in Vancouver and the Canadian Rockies.  Happy to share advice as required. 

Nagasaki was possibly our favourite port for the whole Far East & Alaska cruise as it was such an easy city to explore on our own. We did the included ‘Scenic Nagasaki’ tour and then set out again on the nearby tram to do some shopping and visit the Sofukuji Shrine (recommended by our guide as the easiest to visit). We had a brilliant time and definitely recommend a similar approach for other Viking passengers when you stop in Nagasaki. We caught a tram for 130 yen to Hamamachi, walked through the covered shopping arcade and then followed the street signs and our Google map to the Soukuji Shrine. We wandered everywhere through the temple and found ourselves in the Otaniyama Daiko Temple next door before heading back to Hamamachi. We caught another tram to Ishabashi station and walked 50m to the Glover Skywalk elevator. We took the little elevator (free, with a white-gloved attendant) up the 45-degree slope and then walked another 20m to take a vertical elevator to the top of the hill. We left the elevator, walked across the street and were at the top of the Glover Garden. We paid our entry fee and slowly walked back down through the gardens to the main entrance. We left the gardens and walked down the reasonably steep street filled with tourist stores back to the Orion. I’m sure that walking down was much easier than walking up!!

My recommendation for future passengers is to take the included tour to the Nagasaki Peace Park and leave the included tour once you have seen the main monument and a few of the monuments donated by world cities. Walk down through the park to the Nagasaki Bomb Ground Zero memorial and then on to the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum (200 yen entry). Catch a red line tram to the Suwa Shrine (stop 39). Explore the shrine at your leisure and then catch the black line tram to stop 36. Walk through the Hamamachi Arcade and then on through the streets to the Sofukuji Shrine. Walk as much as you want as the hillside is covered with ancient temples and Buddhist cemeteries. Have a look on Google maps – temples and shrines are everywhere in this area. At some stage it will be time to leave and I think you should head towards the Spectacle Bridge, the oldest stone arch bridge in Japan and then on to tram stop 37. Take the green line tram to Ishibashi station and you are ready to take the Glover Skywalk elevator up to the top of Glover Hill. Pay your entrance fee and slowly wind your way through the gardens, past the Oura Church and back to the Orion.
Trams are easy to use and most locals will try to help you if you have the name of the attraction you want to visit or can point to it on a map. Trams are 130 yen per trip and you can ask the driver for a transfer ticket if you need to swap lines. There is also an on-board change machine. Make sure you look to the line color on the blinds of the tram as the color of the actual trams can trick the unwary (like us). Lots of information here - https://travel.at-nagasaki.jp/en/transportation/bus/
  • Like 3

Thank you, Colin, especially for such detailed advice. I am definitely adding a direct link to your post on my list of helpful links!

I'd love to hear what you have to say about any of the other cities.

Edited by Peregrina651

Hiroshima – another port on the Far Eastern Horizons cruise from Tokyo to Hong Kong. The Orion arrived at lunch-time on April 29 and our first excursion in the afternoon was the optional Hiroshima Castle and Shukkei-en garden Tour. The Hiroshima Castle was a bit of a disappointment - rebuilt after the war and little more than a tourist spot with a few exhibits spread over four floors. No photography allowed and no English translations. It was also very difficult to photograph the castle due to the many trees surrounding the castle. The Shukkei-en Gardens were quite beautiful and the occasional gentle rain softened the landscape. Lovely gnarled pines, maples and carefully clipped azaleas but if I had my time again I would choose the Itsukushima Island tour. The highlight for the day was the evening cultural performance of Japanese Kagura in the Star Theatre. If Viking are able to organise a similar performance when you are in Hiroshima make sure you get to the theatre early and sit on the right side so you can see how hard the drummer works.
We stayed overnight in Hiroshima and went on the included Postcards of Hiroshima tour to the Peace Memorial Park and Atomic Bomb Dome early in the morning. This is an outstanding included excursion and we had a great bus driver who made sure we stopped briefly for a great view of Hiroshima Castle from the left side of the bus. The bus parked at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and we walked through the Peace Memorial Garden to the Hiroshima Victims Arch Cenotaph, Children’s Peace Monument, Peace Bell and then on to walk around the Atomic Bomb Dome building. We then had plenty of time to shop in a nearby arcade and our guide told that Hiroshima is famous for high quality makeup brushes. We found a beautiful little shop that sold calligraphy brushes (100s and 100s on display) and makeup brushes. If you are interested, the shop’s name is Hiroshima Brush Center. (http://www.kumanofude-center.com/index.html) The makeup brushes are world famous and absolutely the best quality possible. Our guide also insisted that the other important gift to buy in Hiroshima is Carp Baseball Team merchandise. You can buy gear at the nearby Pokemon Center but we bought a t-shirt at the bookstore opposite the Brush Center store. I would have loved to buy a Hiroshima Toyo Carp Happi Coat but I couldn't find any that would fit my sumo sized frame.  https://japan-baseball-jersey.com/product/hiroshima-toyo-carp-happi-coat/ Despite the time spent shopping we still had time to call into the Hiroshima Museum and buy some books and educational material. You don't have to line up and pay the museum entrance if you just want to visit the gift shop.

Edited by ColW55
  • Like 1

Omamori - you are definitely going to visit lots of temples during your time in Japan. Make sure you do some research and know about Omamori.  

https://www.tokyoweekender.com/2015/05/japanese-lucky-charms-the-guide-to-omamori/ 

They are beautiful souvenirs to bring back for family and friends and every temple has a unique design. Make sure you guide knows you want to buy some and they will make sure you have time to make a purchase during your visit. Don't just buy one or two - buy some at every temple you visit. You will be amazed how beautiful they look and everyone loved them when we shared them with family and friends when we returned home. Tip - take a picture of the omamori in the display at the temple so you can remember the omamori charm's protection in English.

Edited by ColW55
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, pask said:

Just looked at my email and this  cruise is cancelled😂😂

Only April, 2021 has been cancelled. The rest of the sailings for 2021 and into 2023 are still listed.

Sorry we aren't going to get a chance to meet you on board.