Split cruise credit.. room swapping..

FiremedicMike151

Here's the situation..

1.  Wife and I and two of our kids were going on a cruise in 2020, then another cruise in 2020.. now we're rescheduled for 2021.  We booked 2 cabins and ultimately ended up with $300 OBC per room on the rebooking.  Because of carnivals rules, we had to book my wife in 1 room and me in another and we were planning on using our OBC so that each of us could get the drink package for basically free.

2. Our oldest two kids are now going too, so I booked a third room, which is a balcony and will be for my wife and I, but as of right now the oldest kids are on the booking for that room.

3. The plan is to walk right up to the cheers package folks who are ever present when you embark, purchase cheers for my wife and I using the OBC from our respective rooms, then swap rooms on our own...

So I have a few questions.. 

1.  We'll need to get sail and sign cards for everyone for the correct room.  Can we do this on the boat, after we buy our cheers packages?

2.  If we formally swap rooms with guest services after we purchase cheers, will it screw up cheers when we go to swipe for drinks?

In order to not lose our OBC for both rooms, I have to keep the rooms booked as is, especially since moving folks around would mix the older kids in with us, meaning we'd have to buy them cheers as well.. 

I remember a previous cruise with our kids when they were all underage and we had to play this "mom is in that room, dad is in this room" and then we swapped on the fly, but for the life of me I can't remember how we handled sail and sign cards..

This is a pretty specific scenario that maybe no one else has tried to navigate.. I'm open to all input!

47 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Here's the situation..

1.  Wife and I and two of our kids were going on a cruise in 2020, then another cruise in 2020.. now we're rescheduled for 2021.  We booked 2 cabins and ultimately ended up with $300 OBC per room on the rebooking.  Because of carnivals rules, we had to book my wife in 1 room and me in another and we were planning on using our OBC so that each of us could get the drink package for basically free.

2. Our oldest two kids are now going too, so I booked a third room, which is a balcony and will be for my wife and I, but as of right now the oldest kids are on the booking for that room.

3. The plan is to walk right up to the cheers package folks who are ever present when you embark, purchase cheers for my wife and I using the OBC from our respective rooms, then swap rooms on our own...

So I have a few questions.. 

1.  We'll need to get sail and sign cards for everyone for the correct room.  Can we do this on the boat, after we buy our cheers packages?

2.  If we formally swap rooms with guest services after we purchase cheers, will it screw up cheers when we go to swipe for drinks?

In order to not lose our OBC for both rooms, I have to keep the rooms booked as is, especially since moving folks around would mix the older kids in with us, meaning we'd have to buy them cheers as well.. 

I remember a previous cruise with our kids when they were all underage and we had to play this "mom is in that room, dad is in this room" and then we swapped on the fly, but for the life of me I can't remember how we handled sail and sign cards..

This is a pretty specific scenario that maybe no one else has tried to navigate.. I'm open to all input!

You don't ever "formally"swap rooms on board.  You just get extra cards to open doors.  

It isn't a specific scenario.  It comes up daily when cruises are operating as people try to get around CHEERS rules.  

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

You don't ever "formally"swap rooms on board.  You just get extra cards to open doors.  

It isn't a specific scenario.  It comes up daily when cruises are operating as people try to get around CHEERS rules.  

Is it successful? Lol

Edited by FiremedicMike151

1 hour ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Do we then carry around 2 sail and sign cards then?  One to get into our room and one to swipe for drinks?

I heard costa is using the princess medallion instead of cards. For purchasing, tracking and opening the door.

I'd cross that bridge of having to carry a extra card around when the time comes. 

Do we then carry around 2 sail and sign cards then?  One to get into our room and one to swipe for drinks?

They should be able to program one card to open both rooms.  I have heard of anyone asking for this, but I know the lock system very well, and it can be done.

1 minute ago, PrincessPatti said:

They should be able to program one card to open both rooms.  I have heard of anyone asking for this, but I know the lock system very well, and it can be done.

Yes, you carry two cards.  Whether they have the capacity or not, I don't know.  What they have is an audience that simple is best and guests won't be arguing about the access card being used to charge their account 

2 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Yes. The extra key is blank. That's the one to access the cabin.

The other one with your name and folio number, you use for purchases and getting off/on the ship.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

You will get two keys.  Your sail & sign card and a "room only" blue card (no name, no identifier, just "room only") that will open the door in which you are not berthed to.