Starting cruises in april.

hollyjess

I would like to think that things can start back up in the timeframes they are currently saying.

However i personally fear a larger chunk of 2021 cruises will be cancelled but i really hope not.

Such crazy times, who would ever have possibly believed the cruise industry would be pretty much dormant for over a year.

We have a cruise booked on 6th May on Britannia but not convinced that it will not be cancelled but pretty sure if it does that we will not be on it. Current cruising conditions for the restart of cruising might be OK for some but not for us and we are not that desperate to cruise under any conditions. Will more than likely cancel and transfer booking to Summer 2022 programme is available.

3 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

I agree. Do you think P.O. along with other cruise lines will be able to weather the storm financially?

Dont think it will be in the hands of P&O more Carnival plc and if they decide to sell the brand as a job lot which cannot see happening because who would want to buy a cruise company and 6 ships as a going concern in current times.

1 hour ago, hollyjess said:

Hi fellow cruises. With the current situation is there anyone out there really believe P.O. will resume cruises in april. It's not just the situation here in the UK but other countries especially the med.

Jonathan Van-Tam briefed ministers Saturday that a Vaccine, or two will be available at the turn of the year and that thousands of medical staff are being trained to administer them by Christmas. So yes I believe they may start by quarter 2. Perhaps earlier in USA.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Jonathan Van-Tam briefed ministers Saturday that a Vaccine, or two will be available at the turn of the year and that thousands of medical staff are being trained to administer them by Christmas. So yes I believe they may start by quarter 2. Perhaps earlier in USA.

The point remains that the under 55s will not get the vaccine. Thus whilst cruises may restart, those that have not received the vaccine may not be allowed ashore unless they are on an official P&O excursion. Not exactly a plus point for younger cruisers.

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The point remains that the under 55s will not get the vaccine. Thus whilst cruises may restart, those that have not received the vaccine may not be allowed ashore unless they are on an official P&O excursion. Not exactly a plus point for younger cruisers.

We dont know that for certain wowzz. AZ are supposedly stockpiling it already, and Pfizer doing the same  both with large quantities earmarked for the UK.

As Van Tam says, arrangements are being made to establish a vaccination team so once final approval is given they can roll it out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We dont know that for certain wowzz. AZ are supposedly stockpiling it already, and Pfizer doing the same  both with large quantities earmarked for the UK.

As Van Tam says, arrangements are being made to establish a vaccination team so once final approval is given they can roll it out.

On the UK Government web site it clearly states that under 55s will not get the vaccine,  the thinking being that the side effects of the vaccine could actually be worse that CV19 itself, for that age group.

Just to,add that 40 million doses of the AZ have been ordered by the UK, but as anyone who receives the vaccine will require two injections, at a yet to be determined interval, in reality, only 20 million people will be inoculated,  so over 55s only. 

Edited by wowzz

On the Government web site

This interim ranking of priorities is a combination of clinical risk stratification and an age-based approach, which should optimise both targeting and deliverability. A provisional ranking of prioritisation for persons at-risk is set out below:

1. older adults’ resident in a care home and care home workers1
  2. all those 80 years of age and over and health and social care workers1
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age and over
  5. all those 65 years of age and over
  6. high-risk adults under 65 years of age
  7. moderate-risk adults under 65 years of age
  8. all those 60 years of age and over
  9. all those 55 years of age and over
  10. all those 50 years of age and over
  11. rest of the population (priority to be determined)2

The prioritisation could change substantially if the first available vaccines were not considered suitable for, or effective in, older adults.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

On the UK Government web site it clearly states that under 55s will not get the vaccine,  the thinking being that the side effects of the vaccine could actually be worse that CV19 itself, for that age group.

Just to,add that 40 million doses of the AZ have been ordered by the UK, but as anyone who receives the vaccine will require two injections, at a yet to be determined interval, in reality, only 20 million people will be inoculated,  so over 55s only. 

Have you got a link to that clearly stated guidance? It seems to be at odds with the guidance that I have found. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Have you got a link to that clearly stated guidance? It seems to be at odds with the guidance that I have found. 

I understand the AZ vaccine will likely require a yearly top up, I think it will be the GSK one that will need 2 doses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

But potentially good news for Saga.

3 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Gettingwarmer quoted the priority list from this document 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-25-september-2020/jcvi-updated-interim-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Now I'm confused! 

Are we all agreed that,  at present, the under 50s will not get the vaccine. (I was wrong when I said under 55s previously) ? 

Not quite wowzz, it says that a risk-benefit assessment evaluation would likely be undertaken in advising on vaccination for under 50s.  A major part of the risk would probably involve how much contact they had with more vulnerable relatives, which seems very likely to include a high proportion of this group.  Unless the virus has already killed off their elderly relatives.

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not quite wowzz, it says that a risk-benefit assessment evaluation would likely be undertaken in advising on vaccination for under 50s.  A major part of the risk would probably involve how much contact they had with more vulnerable relatives, which seems very likely to include a high proportion of this group.  Unless the virus has already killed off their elderly relatives.

OK, but I read the risk assessment part to mean the possible side effects from the vaccine versus the danger from contracting CV19. In other words,  if you are a fit person under 50, are you more likely to die or become ill from the vaccine  versus suffering from CV19 itself. At present it seems that it will be "safer" for the under 50s to remain unvaccinated.  

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

OK, but I read the risk assessment part to mean the possible side effects from the vaccine versus the danger from contracting CV19. In other words,  if you are a fit person under 50, are you more likely to die or become ill from the vaccine  versus suffering from CV19 itself. At present it seems that it will be "safer" for the under 50s to remain unvaccinated.  

I'm not sure they'd be using that particular vaccine if they thought anyone was likely to die from having it! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I'm not sure they'd be using that particular vaccine if they thought anyone was likely to die from having it! 

Yes, I was just thinking that I’d rather take my chances without the vaccine if it’s that dangerous! 

• Like 3