Starting cruises in april.

hollyjess

30 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I'm not sure they'd be using that particular vaccine if they thought anyone was likely to die from having it! 

All vaccines carry a certain element of risk. But, you're right, the chances of death will be very low.

9 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Yes, I was just thinking that I’d rather take my chances without the vaccine if it’s that dangerous! 

I maybe naive but I believe that the only way out of this pandemic is vaccination and that the testing of vaccines will be stringent.  I have agreed to be part of the phase 3 testing for one of the vaccines so I may or may not get the actual vaccine which I am told is a 2 shot vaccine the second one being 3 weeks after the first.  I think that everyone has the right to choose whether or not to be vaccinated but I don't want to rely on other people being vaccinated and so creating a sort of herd immunity to protect me.

I worry that we will become a 2 class society, those that have been vaccinated initially being allowed to have more freedom than those who have not.

• Like 1

I will be first in the queue to have the covid vaccine (when its my turn) but I realise there are always risks with any vaccine.Since having my flu jab 3 weeks ago, I have developed a medical condition which I think could have been triggered by the vaccine.My GP is not so sure but I have read that sometimes this condition can be triggered by the flu jab.

19 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I will be first in the queue to have the covid vaccine (when its my turn) but I realise there are always risks with any vaccine.Since having my flu jab 3 weeks ago, I have developed a medical condition which I think could have been triggered by the vaccine.My GP is not so sure but I have read that sometimes this condition can be triggered by the flu jab.

I think it is very unlikely that the jab caused your reaction. 

The quote  below is just one of many that seem to indicate that a reaction  such as yours is very rare, although  it unknown.

"Serious allergic reactions are rare – it is possible to have an allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to the flu vaccine. The main allergen in flu jabs is egg, though the flu jab used by Superdrug Health Clinics is safe for those with egg allergies unless their allergy is particularly severe."

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I understand the AZ vaccine will likely require a yearly top up, I think it will be the GSK one that will need 2 doses.

We had out flu jabs on Friday at the local practice. Every year. If the same for Covid, no problem. If 2 doses are required we don't care, as long as they're doing BOGOF.😁

• Haha 1

As I work in healthcare now my employer says the flu vaccine is not a live one so no one should get a reaction. I’m aware many people are convinced they get ill after they have it (including a couple of friends of mine) but the science says it’s not possible. I had my first one last year with no ill effects. I’m having another one next week so hope no ill effects then too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I maybe naive but I believe that the only way out of this pandemic is vaccination and that the testing of vaccines will be stringent.  I have agreed to be part of the phase 3 testing for one of the vaccines so I may or may not get the actual vaccine which I am told is a 2 shot vaccine the second one being 3 weeks after the first.  I think that everyone has the right to choose whether or not to be vaccinated but I don't want to rely on other people being vaccinated and so creating a sort of herd immunity to protect me.

I worry that we will become a 2 class society, those that have been vaccinated initially being allowed to have more freedom than those who have not.

I will be happy to be vaccinated if/when the time comes, and I do believe that testing will be stringent- that’s why I think some of the timescales in this thread are a tad optimistic. My comment  was really just a joke about the high level of risk that some of the comments were implying! 

I don’t think we’ll have a two tier society - it’d be most unfair.

If/when a vaccination programme starts, I think social distancing and mask wearing will still be the norm for some time to come for both vaccinated and unvaccinated alike, until the virus is very suppressed. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The quote  below is just one of many that seem to indicate that a reaction  such as yours is very rare, although  it unknown.

"Serious allergic reactions are rare – it is possible to have an allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to the flu vaccine. The main allergen in flu jabs is egg, though the flu jab used by Superdrug Health Clinics is safe for those with egg allergies unless their allergy is particularly severe."

My condition is not an allergic reaction.I have read that sometimes the condition is triggered by a virus but occasionally it is triggered by the flu vaccine(or similar)I don't know definately that it has started as a result of the vaccine.Its just that the symptoms started a couple of days after so that is just one possibility.It has not put me off having any future vaccines

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

As I work in healthcare now my employer says the flu vaccine is not a live one so no one should get a reaction. I’m aware many people are convinced they get ill after they have it (including a couple of friends of mine) but the science says it’s not possible. I had my first one last year with no ill effects. I’m having another one next week so hope no ill effects then too.

I had mine a couple of weeks ago at the doctor's and the nurse said it was not a live vaccine.

Fortunately no side effects yet.

Just now, grapau27 said:

I had mine a couple of weeks ago at the doctor's and the nurse said it was not a live vaccine.

We both had ours last month at the local chemists, and neither of us had any reaction at all, not even a soreness around the injection site, which I have normally experienced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

I have read that sometimes the condition is triggered by a virus but occasionally it is triggered by the flu vaccine(or similar)I

The vaccine is basically inert - in itself it cannot trigger a reaction.

The danger is, that by not having a vaccine next year you may get influenza, which for those of us entitled to a vaccine, is far more dangerous, than any perceived reaction.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

You can get a vaccine  that is  made without eggs for sufferers of egg allergies and vegans.

I have been having the flu vaccine for over 40 years as an asthma sufferer and never had a reaction. I have not had the flu during that time, some nasty colds which would have probably developed without the vaccine. I worked for a pharma company that manufactured  flu vaccines and there were often claims that the vaccine had caused side effects, usually by a claimant. I would never say that the vaccine couldn't possibly cause an effect in someone as food can do that. I have my name down for 3rd phase trials when the time comes if I am needed. If the approval of any promising vaccine is not fast tracked it could be years before it is deemed safe for the general population. If it is fast tracked and there are any issues then we will be back to square 1.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If it’s been two weeks you won’t get a reaction now. My friend swears she gets ill every time within 24 hrs of the jab!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The vaccine is basically inert - in itself it cannot trigger a reaction.

The danger is, that by not having a vaccine next year you may get influenza, which for those of us entitled to a vaccine, is far more dangerous, than any perceived reaction.

I still intend to have the flu vaccine next year,There is evidence showing a possibility that the vaccine can be a trigger for certain autoimmune conditions but I don't know whether or not my condition has been caused by the vaccine or something else.I was just stating that it is a possibility not necessarily the cause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We both had ours last month at the local chemists, and neither of us had any reaction at all, not even a soreness around the injection site, which I have normally experienced.

Exactly the same with us John. As the pharmacist was preparing the jabs, I asked about reactions to the flu vaccine as the pharmacist who administered my sisters said that they had received reports of people reacting to it. Her reply was, in hindsight, quite amusing. She said “Well it depends on whether you get a mild or severe reaction. You can get a mild reaction up to a week or so after”. What if I get a severe reaction, I asked?. “Within 2 to 3 minutes” came the reply! Have to say that I was relieved to arrive home alive!

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2020 at 2:54 PM, hollyjess said:

Hi fellow cruises. With the current situation is there anyone out there really believe P.O. will resume cruises in april. It's not just the situation here in the UK but other countries especially the med.

None of us know the answer, of course, but my sense is that it’s becoming increasingly unlikely. I sincerely hope that I am wrong but my sense is that the fear of Covid-19 (which I think is now having far more impact than the virus itself) will still be with us until at least next summer and we will probably have a couple of short lock downs between now and then - possibly one pre Christmas and another one in the New Year. Whilst regional lockdowns make the most sense, targeting areas with very high infection rates, they have now become party political and even though national lockdowns will have far greater economic consequences (and are unnecessary with the minuscule infection rates in many areas), it is an easier message for a government to implement.  I fear that we are in for a bumpy ride over the winter with things getting worse before they get better and I don’t see us being clear of all of this by April, especially as vaccinations may have only just started then. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

None of us know the answer, of course, but my sense is that it’s becoming increasingly unlikely. I sincerely hope that I am wrong but my sense is that the fear of Covid-19 (which I think is now having far more impact than the virus itself) will still be with us until at least next summer and we will probably have a couple of short lock downs between now and then - possibly one pre Christmas and another one in the New Year. Whilst regional lockdowns make the most sense, targeting areas with very high infection rates, they have now become party political and even though national lockdowns will have far greater economic consequences (and are unnecessary with the minuscule infection rates in many areas), it is an easier message for a government to implement.  I fear that we are in for a bumpy ride over the winter with things getting worse before they get better and I don’t see us being clear of all of this by April, especially as vaccinations may have only just started then. 

I tend to agree with everything you say, in particular national, lockdowns, which is a blunt instrument whereas, in reality a scalpel like response is needed.

Hopefully the terrible death rate due to delayed treatment for cancers, strokes etc will get much more publicity, and the fixation on CV19 deaths will abate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I will be happy to be vaccinated if/when the time comes, and I do believe that testing will be stringent- that’s why I think some of the timescales in this thread are a tad optimistic. My comment  was really just a joke about the high level of risk that some of the comments were implying! 

I don’t think we’ll have a two tier society - it’d be most unfair.

If/when a vaccination programme starts, I think social distancing and mask wearing will still be the norm for some time to come for both vaccinated and unvaccinated alike, until the virus is very suppressed. 

Sorry, I missed that you were joking.  I will be having my first shot tomorrow but obviously won't know if it is the vaccine or or the placebo, if I get any reactions I will post.  

I do agree that a two tier society would be unfair but people will have a choice whether or not to get the vaccine so if they are prevented from doing certain things if they are not vaccinated they will have to live with it.

I can imagine that we will be stuck with masks and social distancing for quite a while yet, in some eastern countries masks are the norm and maybe will become the norm for us too.

• Like 1