Potential newbie with a few questions

PrincessPete

Hi all, first posting on the Saga board - we are very experienced cruisers but have not been on Saga previously.

We are looking (fingers crossed) at the 35 Night Caribbean cruise in December 2022. One thing has disappointed me with the itinerary and I did wonder if this issue is the norm with Saga.

The cruise leaves Barbados and has a week at sea before arriving in Madeira - but the stay there is only from 1200 to 1700, realistically leaving a meagre 4 hours at best ashore. Surely with a week at sea beforehand they could have gone the tiniest fraction of a knot faster to have allowed a full day in Madeira?

We have wanted to go to Madeira for a long while (and fully realise we don't have to go on a 35 night trip to the Caribbean to do so!!) but it is disappointing to have such a short stay there when surely they could have easily arrived at, say, 0900.

Any thoughts on that, please......and here are a few other questions.

All inclusive drinks: I see these are Saga branded spirits etc - does that mean there is a limited choice of included drinks and plenty of others (possibly better known names) that have to be paid for?

Are speciality coffees included in the package or are they additional?

Do Saga have their "own brand" lager - or does anyone know what lager is on offer?

Whatever the answers are to the above would not put us off thinking about the cruise so we are just asking out of interest.

Thank you very much in advance of any replies.

Kind regards. Peter

They do usually have a full day in Madeira, yes it does seem a bit mean to just have an afternoon there. Although if the weather turns and they have to skip the Azores on the way out, you may call at Madeira then instead.

It was the other direction for us, Madeira 08:00 - 17:00, 6 full days at sea, Barbados 08:00 day 7.

Maybe it takes longer on the way back to account for the extra half day at sea??

I am more intrigued by the fact they have included Puerto Rico.

Everyone will have to have an ESTA (or visa) and the entire ship will have to clear USA customs - seems odd to have just one USA port after going through all that.

++

Drinks - the branded spirits and speciality coffees will be extra, as will premium brand wines, sparking wines etc. Prices are very reasonable, and the included wines are very drinkable.

If my memory is correct (rarely is, these days) the included lager is Heinekin - it was certainly a regular brand, anyway.

Just one thing, speciality coffees to my mind are lattes, cappuccinos, espressos etc.

These are included and if you mean coffee with a drop of alcohol in it, as long as you don't need a special brand these will also be included.

Branded alcohol is very reasonably priced compared to other cruise lines.

Thank you both for the most helpful replies.

Yes, I was also surprised to see San Juan as a port of call although for us that is one of the attractions of the cruise - we went there several times in the 1990's on Cunard Countess 14 night cruises which started and finished in San Juan with a day in the middle back there as well (two 7 day itineraries back to back). It is a fascinating place but I totally agree it seems strange with everything that is involved for the ship and its passengers for just the one stop in a USA territory.

Drinks - thank you both for the explanations including about the coffee. The general consensus is that the included wines are very good which means my wife will be happy - as long as they do not run out of the draught lager so will I be!!

Many thanks again and with kind regards. Peter

Just a bit  more about drinks (unless things have changed recently), there are usually about 4 reds and 4 whites and one or two roses to choose from, and you are almost bound to find one or two you like, and can then ask for them by name.  Also, on our last cruise, the sherries were Tio Pepe, Crofts and Bristol Cream, and I had Camparis and the occasional Baileys after dinner, all included.  The main spirits, gin, vodka, whisky and brandy, are Saga's 'own' brands,  and not too good on their own, obviously, but OK when in a mixed drink or coffee.