Not good news from Fr. Polynesia per Radio New Zealand

Petoonya

Don't know how reliable this is but RNZ reports Fr. Polynesia has 1330 active COVID cases, 67 hospitalized, 20 ICU, 4610 cases total since start of pandemic. Heartbreaking for these wonderful people. Surprising that they've not buttoned up again.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/428761/covid-19-claims-two-more-lives-in-french-polynesia

Article from today’s Tahiti Infos.  Last sentence doesn’t seem to make sense but it’s clear the the virus is becoming a substantial problem in FP

19 deaths from Covid-19 in fenua, 3 more in 48 hours

Tahiti, October 21, 2020 - The Covid is the cause of a new death in French Polynesia bringing the total number of deaths after infection with the coronavirus to 19 on Wednesday, since September 10 in the community.  

French Polynesia deplores 3 additional deaths due to Covid-19, in the space of 48 hours, indicate the health authorities in the last summary report published Wednesday at midday. Since September 10, the coronavirus epidemic has officially been the cause of 19 deaths in the community.
The last epidemiological square confirms the progression of the virus in the population. The hospital center receives 71 patients under surveillance on Wednesday (+4 in 48 hours), including 18 in intensive care (-2 in 48 hours). In addition, there are to date 1,606 active Covid cases, therefore contagious, with a jump of 276 new cases in 48 hours. 
Since August 2, 5,099 people have tested positive for Covid-19 in Polynesia, of which 3,474 are now considered to be out of business.

Nancy, closing down FP will be happening shortly, mark my words. When I refared my award tickets to PPT on UA yesterday for January I took a look at the seat maps for my flights. They were fairly well sold in economy a month ago. Now there are hardly any seats sold, one or two in premium economy, and none in business. That's tells me that Windstar cruisers in January are starting to cancel their flights and not make their final payments. Also other travelers are canceling because they cannot get the required strict covid test in time  for their trip. I believe many many people are postponing their vacations into late 20021 and 2022.

Because the required miles dropped to 25K each way per person, I got a refund of 60K miles total back into my MP account and have the exact same flights. Sweet.

@susiesan

Yes, I expected they'd close over a week ago and it's unfortunate they didn't.

Out of curiosity maybe you could have your TA check to see how many cabins on your cruise are not booked. I know that you're roller coaster riding with this thing. Since you have until December, if it were me, I'd wait till then to see. But masks will almost definitely be required and I expect one's travels on land will be restricted. I know you said that you couldn't go at any other time. But since you can switch dates till late 2021 or 2022 maybe this will be sorted out by then. If COVID parallels flu incidence January will be the height of the season.

I  inquired today about switching to March 4 sailing and was told by Windstar that there is plenty of availability. I checked about flights, they are available on the dates that coincide with the cruise. What do you think, should I move from Jan. 14 to March 4? The next planned vacation after the cruise is April 28, to Namibia, and I don't want to visit Tahiti too close to that trip.

I went ahead and moved to March 4 Wind Spirit sailing. I was able to change all the flights online without having to call UA, no fees. I am awaiting confirmation from Windstar of our new cabin. I fell much more confident that this date will be a go, that it will be easier to get a covid test in KC in March rather than January. Plus, no way am I wearing a mask outside while on tours per the new FP requirements.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

I  inquired today about switching to March 4 sailing and was told by Windstar that there is plenty of availability. I checked about flights, they are available on the dates that coincide with the cruise. What do you think, should I move from Jan. 14 to March 4? The next planned vacation after the cruise is April 28, to Namibia, and I don't want to visit Tahiti too close to that trip.

Susie,

I wouldn't mess around with January, I'd switch- but I might wait a little longer. Two trips so close wouldn't be great for me either. The complication is the flights I know- who knows if they'll be available in March later on.

I'm the kind of person who needs to plan on what I'm doing- no a seat of my pants kind of traveler. If things are this nuts 3 months before I cruise I might switch. I guess you have to decide on how much it will drive you crazy to wait a bit longer.

7 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I went ahead and moved to March 4 Wind Spirit sailing. I was able to change all the flights online without having to call UA, no fees. I am awaiting confirmation from Windstar of our new cabin. I fell much more confident that this date will be a go, that it will be easier to get a covid test in KC in March rather than January. Plus, no way am I wearing a mask outside while on tours per the new FP requirements.

Susie- we posted similtaneously. I'm glad to hear that you switched! Gives you lots more leeway for the world situation to improve. Yay for you!

Just now, Petoonya said:

Susie- we posted similtaneously. I'm glad to hear that you switched! Gives you lots more leeway for the world situation to improve. Yay for you!

I did have to cough up a few more UA miles, back to where I was originally after the reduction yesterday, and couldn't get a nonstop SFO-MCI on the return. If that becomes available I can always switch.

4 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I did have to cough up a few more UA miles, back to where I was originally after the reduction yesterday, and couldn't get a nonstop SFO-MCI on the return. If that becomes available I can always switch.

I notice too that there are a few more providers than 2 months ago doing COVID PCR testing with a 2-3 day turnaround here in Oregon. So maybe by March things will be easier in MO. too. I'm even starting to warm up to the idea of using WS excursions only- just want to go!

We decided to cancel our January reservation for Tahiti rather than make final payment. It seems like there is a good chance the cruise would be cancelled. If it isn't, I don't feel like we want to be on the first cruises after things start back up and I don't want to make final payment when I don't know what the restrictions might be (e.g. whether one will be able to explore the islands independently or only allowed to take Windstar excursions). 

I notice that the 7-for-7 deals have consistently been for cruises in April and later. I've wondered if that's because either: A) the earlier cruises are already discounted so much that they aren't going to discount them further, B) people aren't likely to book the earlier cruises at any price right no so there is no point in discounting them or C) the are likely enough to get cancelled that they aren't trying hard to sell them. It used to be that closer in cruises were common on the 7-for-7. 

We are booked on the May 1 Israel and Egypt cruise out of Athens - I'm hoping that that is far enough out that it will be able to go but I'm starting to wonder. Also, we booked an October 2021 sailing out of San Diego from last week's 7-for-7. At least that's comparatively inexpensive and just a short flight to get to. It would even be possible to drive there if we don't want to fly but I'm not terribly worried about a 1 hour flight where one can be masked the whole time. Maybe there will even be a vaccine one could get by October.

On 10/23/2020 at 3:04 PM, new_cruiser said:

We decided to cancel our January reservation for Tahiti rather than make final payment. It seems like there is a good chance the cruise would be cancelled. If it isn't, I don't feel like we want to be on the first cruises after things start back up and I don't want to make final payment when I don't know what the restrictions might be (e.g. whether one will be able to explore the islands independently or only allowed to take Windstar excursions). 

Being the second cruise after Wind Spirit started back up was also a factor in my decision to move from Jan. 14 to March 4. I got to keep my same deal. Windstar told me there was plenty of availability. My new fine payment date is now Feb. 4 and if things are still unsettled then I will postpone into the future again as long as Windstar is allowing the same terms. If not, then I'll just cancel and go somewhere else I the world.