Ideas for a few days in Rome before or after your cruise.

DavietheScot

• 1 month later...

May I recommend spending your pre or post cruise time at Ostia Antica?  We had a long B2B Western and Eastern Med cruise in Nov-Dec 2019 and I thought we would be "ruined out" by the end.  We decided to stay in Ostia rather than an airport hotel on our last day. Easy!  The shuttle driver took us to the hotel which was right on the coast and we took a short train ride to Ostia Antica, one of the great Roman ruins available.  It is massive and most of it is accessible.  We were there on a 70 degree sunny, Sunday afternoon and were about the only ones there!  It truly was one of the highlights. In many ways, we liked it better than Pompeii!

So much better than having nothing to do nearby at an FCO airport.  The shuttle ride to FCO the next morning took about 20 minutes.  The town of Ostia was charming.  Easy peasy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

May I recommend spending your pre or post cruise time at Ostia Antica?  We had a long B2B Western and Eastern Med cruise in Nov-Dec 2019 and I thought we would be "ruined out" by the end.  We decided to stay in Ostia rather than an airport hotel on our last day. Easy!  The shuttle driver took us to the hotel which was right on the coast and we took a short train ride to Ostia Antica, one of the great Roman ruins available.  It is massive and most of it is accessible.  We were there on a 70 degree sunny, Sunday afternoon and were about the only ones there!  It truly was one of the highlights. In many ways, we liked it better than Pompeii!

So much better than having nothing to do nearby at an FCO airport.  The shuttle ride to FCO the next morning took about 20 minutes.  The town of Ostia was charming.  Easy peasy!

I agree that Ostia (and also nearby Fiumicino) are decent alternatives to isolated airport hotels.   Many are not aware that there are a couple of seaside resort towns so close to FCO.  Although I do not consider Ostia Antica the equal of Pompeii, I do agree that it an excellent place to be "ruined."  Speaking of Pompeii, that site made today's news with the announcement of the discovery of a street food snack bar.  

Hank

• Like 1

We also really like staying in nearby Viterbo pre or post cruise.  It is an easy drive of about an hour, with stunning  gardens at Villa Lante and amazing Villa Farnese nearby.   Also highly recommend Tarquinia for the Etruscan ruins and museum.  

Edited by bennybear

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 8:43 AM, Markanddonna said:

Agree. We went there a couple of times. Here is a video of our visit in Oct. 2019. I like Ostia over Pompeii personally. 

1 hour ago, ROCruiser said:

Agree. We went there a couple of times. Here is a video of our visit in Oct. 2019. I like Ostia over Pompeii personally. 

I will admit that the volcanic history of Pompeii makes it a must see, but for the total experience of seeing the ruins of an ancient Roman city, Ostia Antica is spectacular.

• Like 1