Getting Your Money Back

Just wondering. Has anyone ever had any success in getting their money back from Norwegian once it has been placed into a Future Cruise Credit? There must be some recourse for getting money back in certain situations (i.e. death or infirmity that results in never being able to sail again). At my age, and with the present worldwide disease situation, I have reservations about near-future cruising and would really like my money back instead of letting it sit in a FCC that I may never use. There is also the possibility of cruise lines declaring bankruptcy and losing it all that way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, the_scarecrow_in_oz said:

Just wondering. Has anyone ever had any success in getting their money back from Norwegian once it has been placed into a Future Cruise Credit? There must be some recourse for getting money back in certain situations (i.e. death or infirmity that results in never being able to sail again). At my age, and with the present worldwide disease situation, I have reservations about near-future cruising and would really like my money back instead of letting it sit in a FCC that I may never use. There is also the possibility of cruise lines declaring bankruptcy and losing it all that way.

Have you called them and ask for a refund? What about contacting the credit card company to dispute the charges? I would send Norwegian a request in writing for a refund and explain your situation. It is always best to have written documentation.  

1 minute ago, Summerstravel said:

Have you called them and ask for a refund?

I have talked to 2 different NCL agents and their answers were the same. Basically...... no way, dude. I'm going to contact my credit card company next (thanks for thee suggestion). I'm also going to write NCL's Guest Relations Department and explain the situation, but I'm not holding out any hope and am wondering if anyone else has had any luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_scarecrow_in_oz said:

There is "some recourse" available. Anyone with an FCC is allowed a one-time transfer of that FCC to someone else. Just transfer the FCC to a willing recipient who will give you $$$ in exchange for it.

Outside of that, you can't really expect a do-over on your decision. Once you choose the FCC, the option for a cash refund goes away. Much the same for those who took the cash refund, they won't be able to change their minds and ask for the FCC in the future either.

27 minutes ago, Summerstravel said:

https://abc7chicago.com/crusie-refund-cancelled-cruise-norwegian-alaskan/6383803/

Please see link on the news article retires trying to get refund. Refund not looking good if you took the FCC. 

Seems like the story poses more questions than it answers.

"When the pandemic hit, the women said they were each offered 50% refunds". The cancellation-FCC-refund situation has been discussed here ad nauseum. Not once have I ever heard of people only being offered a 50% refund. Seems like we are missing some information from this story.

yes, i had to do a chargeback , took almost 2 months but they did not fight it,i received a confirmation letter it was permanent. . they did not extend the FCC from the first cancel and could not give a date they could start again.  

Edited by seaman11

8 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Seems like the story poses more questions than it answers.

"When the pandemic hit, the women said they were each offered 50% refunds". The cancellation-FCC-refund situation has been discussed here ad nauseum. Not once have I ever heard of people only being offered a 50% refund. Seems like we are missing some information from this story.

The way I read it was this: The women cancelled their cruise, under Peace of Mind, after their final payment date.  They could have gotten 50% cash refunded according to the cancellation penalty schedule, or they could have 100% FCC.  They took FCC.  Then when the cruise they were originally booked on (and cancelled) was cancelled by NCL, they wanted a full refund.  NCL is refusing, which they seem to have done for every other person in the same situation.

1 hour ago, kaprin02 said:

Then when the cruise they were originally booked on (and cancelled) was cancelled by NCL, they wanted a full refund.  NCL is refusing, which they seem to have done for every other person in the same situation

When the women cancelled under peace of mind, they accepted the terms of peace of mind.  Those terms were that the refund was in the form of FCC.  At that point their business with NCL on that cruise was complete and they no longer had a booking (because THEY cancelled) against which they could request a cash refund under the "NCL cancelled cruise" policy because the customer had already cancelled.  The customer doesn't have the option to request cash, and it's clear in the terms of cancellation under peace of mind.

As for the OP - similar situation.  Refund in the form of FCC was accepted and cash refund was not applied for during the window for which that was to be completed.  Transaction complete at that point, with FCC in your Latitudes account.  As noted by others, you could recoup some of that money by trying to "sell" it to transfer it to someone else.  That's your option through NCL.

I'm not commenting on if these policies are fair or just, but that's what they are in black and white.  There were some other cruise lines that allowed you to "float" (pun not intended) the FCC for longer and then apply for a cash refund later in the year if that's what you decided you wanted to do, Royal had that option and I don't think the deadline has yet been reached even for some of the cancellations.

1 hour ago, kaprin02 said:

The way I read it was this: The women cancelled their cruise, under Peace of Mind, after their final payment date.  They could have gotten 50% cash refunded according to the cancellation penalty schedule, or they could have 100% FCC.  They took FCC.  Then when the cruise they were originally booked on (and cancelled) was cancelled by NCL, they wanted a full refund.  NCL is refusing, which they seem to have done for every other person in the same situation.

Huh?? You said "The women cancelled their cruise" and "when the cruise they were originally booked on (and cancelled) was cancelled by NCL". Sorry, but once you cancel, you are no longer on the cruise and subsequent cancellations (regardless of who is behind them) have nothing to do with you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Huh?? You said "The women cancelled their cruise" and "when the cruise they were originally booked on (and cancelled) was cancelled by NCL". Sorry, but once you cancel, you are no longer on the cruise and subsequent cancellations (regardless of who is behind them) have nothing to do with you. 

Right, I think the point was that the sailing was eventually cancelled by NCL and the women wanted the option for cash back.  I explained why that was flawed in my response above...

21 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Right.  That's what I was trying to say - apparently I wasn't clear.  But the fact that the cruise was cancelled by the women was why they were only offered 50% cash back, or 100% FCC, which is what you were originally questioning.

In each situation, the passenger agrees to the terms and conditions at the time they cancelled or were cancelled. Everyone who let NCL cancel their cruise had an option to get a cash refund (limited time to request). For those who jumped-the-gun and cancelled themselves after final payment, they agreed to the cancellation terms. For those who were cancelled last week, they automatically got a cash refund and 10% off any future cruise. 

2 hours ago, kaprin02 said:

Right.  That's what I was trying to say - apparently I wasn't clear.  But the fact that the cruise was cancelled by the women was why they were only offered 50% cash back, or 100% FCC, which is what you were originally questioning.

No...what I was originally questioning was the fictional 50% cash back offer...something NCL never made available.

5 hours ago, SeaShark said:

No...what I was originally questioning was the fictional 50% cash back offer...something NCL never made available.

My guess would be that the women who cancelled were at the normal 50% forfeiture point for cancellations after final payment. 

Telling the media "...they only offered us half of our money..." helped to get the story on the news. Throw in a "...we all have all those underlying health conditions..." and the media is sure to pounce. 

Whatever NCL offered to those who were still booked doesn't/shouldn't apply to those who were no longer booked. The women in the news story bailed too soon, chose the better of what was offered at the time, and now want the even better offer that was made to those who didn't bail. Imagine if when NCL cancelled the cruise, the only options were 75% FCC or 50% cash. Would the women still be complaining?

18 hours ago, seaman11 said:

yes, i had to do a chargeback , took almost 2 months but they did not fight it,i received a confirmation letter it was permanent. . they did not extend the FCC from the first cancel and could not give a date they could start again.  

Same here, I was denied on the first round, but I appealed i and won.

NCL likes to put out a 20+ page report on why they don't want to pay but only 1-2 pages actually have anything to do with it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

What was your situation?? - I too booked an 14 day Alaska Cruise - were supposed to sail July 2019 - NCL cancelled - I filed the form for cash refund online - according to NCL they never received it (same with friends of ours in FL) - I re-booked for 2022, but because of the mandates and restrictions we will not cruise in the near future - NCL offered FCC - which at this point is worthless to me as we will not use it. Dispute with Amex - they came back and send me the 20+ cancellation report from NCL - and I, in 2022, still stuck with FCC and no Cash ....

2 hours ago, oosthuizenm said:

What was your situation?? - I too booked an 14 day Alaska Cruise - were supposed to sail July 2019 - NCL cancelled - I filed the form for cash refund online - according to NCL they never received it (same with friends of ours in FL) - I re-booked for 2022, but because of the mandates and restrictions we will not cruise in the near future - NCL offered FCC - which at this point is worthless to me as we will not use it. Dispute with Amex - they came back and send me the 20+ cancellation report from NCL - and I, in 2022, still stuck with FCC and no Cash ....

Read what Hallux said above me. 2 different situations. I was able to get my money back by the end of 2020. Here we are 2 years later with your situation. The game has changed. If you read the threads mentioned above, you maybe able to recouperate.

We have been dealing with NCL for quite sometime now with numerous cancellations due to Covid.  NCL canceled us numerous times.  We've spoken to numerous people and have been told over the course of the past 30 days so many different things that my head is about to explode. 

We have been waiting for our credits since December 30 and all along we have been told the specific numbers that are being refunded.  Suddenly today, a very RUDE supervisor named Mary, tells me that under the current POM policy we won't be refunded the $62 pp for travel protection, even though we have been told by others during the past 30 days that we would.

When this is all said and done  we will NEVER SAIL WITH NCL AGAIN.  

This cruise was supposed to take place in 2020 (booked in 2019) ~ totally understand Covid issues, etc. but don't understand how they are so quick to REMOVE the $62 from our account that has been showing for months, but they are so SLOW to add what we should be getting.