Is this FWD cabin good for Fjord cruise?

keeven2

I received the booking confirmation for my 2022 summer Fjord cruise.  My allocated cabin is 1 deck below the bridge and quite close to it. I'm a bit concerned how obstructive the bridge will be in term of view. Also there is a pillar running from deck 14 to deck 16 to support the bridge. I never tried Fwd cabin before so would like to try this time. I would like to ask your experience with the Fwd cabin and Fjord cruise. Any recommended deck or position? I wonder if I should change it before the other cabins are booked up. 

Thanks.

Iona.jpg

If my observations are correct it looks as if you are booked in a GF grade cabin and if it was me I would be trying to get as far back in that particular grade on the same deck perhaps cabin 15.240 or even better 15.242 as this looks to have a large balcony but has possibly already been booked for that reason. I am guessing you have pre registered with P&O and not been able to pick cabin only grade that is one reason why I would never pre register with P&O but a TA then you could have picked cabin numbers you would be happy with and also would have been cheaper.

You don't give the cabin number, but Iona is a new ship to everyone, so there may not be the information to hand to advise you, unless it's a similar class of ship belonging to another company.

It may be that during docking operations, members of the bridge crew may be able to see your balcony.  However, I imagine they will be more concerned watching other things.  I can't imagine it will spoil your view of the fjords.

Only you can decide whether or not to change.   For me, it's too high up and too far forward, but that's a personal choice.   As Majortom10 said, I would either have booked through P&O, picked Select Fare and your exact choice of cabin, or go with a TA so they could get a cabin choice with your grade on a Saver Fare.

4 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

You don't give the cabin number, but Iona is a new ship to everyone, so there may not be the information to hand to advise you, unless it's a similar class of ship belonging to another company.

It may be that during docking operations, members of the bridge crew may be able to see your balcony.  However, I imagine they will be more concerned watching other things.  I can't imagine it will spoil your view of the fjords.

Only you can decide whether or not to change.   For me, it's too high up and too far forward, but that's a personal choice.   As Majortom10 said, I would either have booked through P&O, picked Select Fare and your exact choice of cabin, or go with a TA so they could get a cabin choice with your grade on a Saver Fare.

I am assuming that he has pre registered with P&O as he/she states that they have been allocated the cabin which P&O do even when paying for a Select fare. That is one of the downsides of pre registering with P&O compared to a TA.

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am assuming that he has pre registered with P&O as he/she states that they have been allocated the cabin which P&O do even when paying for a Select fare. That is one of the downsides of pre registering with P&O compared to a TA.

You can change a Select Fare cabin that P&O allocate you during the booking process, clicking "change cabin", then "want to choose your cabin" followed by changing the section, deck and cabin or just skipping to the "search for a specific cabin" which adjusts the price accordingly.   I wouldn't pre-register with P&O either.

If you booked with P&O and not an agent, ring them and ask to change your cabin to one that is better for you. As Iona is a new ship to us all, the cabin you have been given may be excellent but for peace of mind, if you want to change, you can do. If you booked with an agent, you should contact them, tell them what cabin you want or which part of the ship you want your cabin to be in, deck etc and they should do it for you. Maybe check the price difference between the cabin you have booked and one of the same type but in a higher grade and better position. It may not be much extra. When you are happy with the cabin you are given, it is advisable to ask not to be upgraded because their choice of an upgrade may not be your choice and once they do it, it is difficult to change back.

Yes I pre registered with P&O directly. The reason was the TA told me if I use FCC I won't be able to get discount. Another reason was I need a cabin for 4 persons, which has limited availability, and it has been sold out for summer 2021. Hence I tend to book early.

This will be our first Fjords cruise. I would like to get some advice in term of view, as there will be plenty of  time stay on board. I don't mind it is far from the restaurant, the kids have energy. 

I strongly suggest you get back onto P&O to discuss your alternatives. As I said before, if you can afford to pay a little more, you may get a cabin much more suited to your needs. As far as views are concerned, crossing the North Sea there is not much to look at apart from the odd oil or gas rig but sailing in the fjords is beautiful with towering cliffs and mountains on both sides. Hopefully the tops of the cliffs will not be shrouded in mist and low cloud. As far as views are concerned the cabin you have been given should be fine although the forward view may be a bit obscured but possibly no more than other cabins.

Sorry to gate crash this thread but our question is sort of similar.

We are looking at booking on IONA (though we are not convinced about the ship to be honest) but the Fjord's itinerary is really good. There is an aft cabin on deck 12 (we LOVE aft cabins) 12737 left. Looks a nice sized balcony for that full view 🙂

Has anyone any thoughts on these aft cabins? I know that she hasn't sailed yet but it isn't a ship that we have taken much notice of so am starting from scratch.

37 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We are looking at booking on IONA (though we are not convinced about the ship to be honest) but the Fjord's itinerary is really good. There is an aft cabin on deck 12 (we LOVE aft cabins) 12737 left. Looks a nice sized balcony for that full view 🙂

Has anyone any thoughts on these aft cabins? I know that she hasn't sailed yet but it isn't a ship that we have taken much notice of so am starting from scratch.

You could try checking You Tube for videos of Aidanova, or Costa Smerelda, there might be some cabin videos. Or just check google for images.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

You could try checking You Tube for videos of Aidanova, or Costa Smerelda, there might be some cabin videos. Or just check google for images.

Brill,thanks. I had been trying to work out what the names of her sister ships were. Edging towards an aft cabin now but just concerned that we don't want to end up in a cabin that is above / below the smoking area of the ship. To be honest it hasn't made a difference on any other ship we have been on.

Off to look 🙂

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

We always go for cabins on the aft overlooking the wake of the ship. Had Iona started sailing in May this year, I could have given an evidence based answer bud sadly not. We are booked at the back of the ship in November 2021 so, unless it’s a nightmare, I would appreciate some info once she sails. The balcony does look bigger so it is a cabin I would book although I have to say that as 3 of us usually travel, we have a suite for the extra space and because the very low 3rd person price, makes it affordable.

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

We always go for cabins on the aft overlooking the wake of the ship. Had Iona started sailing in May this year, I could have given an evidence based answer bud sadly not. We are booked at the back of the ship in November 2021 so, unless it’s a nightmare, I would appreciate some info once she sails. The balcony does look bigger so it is a cabin I would book although I have to say that as 3 of us usually travel, we have a suite for the extra space and because the very low 3rd person price, makes it affordable.

Sorry we are 2022 so we will be picking your brains ...