Anyone Booked Yet for the 2022?

Craigrlewis

2 hours ago, lissie said:

We  are booked on the same sailing but from SF to Barcelona .  I wondered about the QM too. I've never been to it - is it near  where we will dock on QE?  LA isn't my favourite city - but I'd be happy to spend 1/2 day on the QM if its open and preferably easy to get to! 

It is in the port of Long Beach adjacent, but over a bridge from where Cunard docks in the Port of Los Angeles. It will be a taxi or Uber ride from The Port of Los Angeles. I recommend you look at google maps, for LA Cruise terminal, and then Port of Long Beach Queen Mary, and you can get an idea. You should be able to do it. Maybe Cunard has a tour when you get closer to your departure look at the offered tours. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

It is in the port of Long Beach adjacent, but over a bridge from where Cunard docks in the Port of Los Angeles. It will be a taxi or Uber ride from The Port of Los Angeles. I recommend you look at google maps, for LA Cruise terminal, and then Port of Long Beach Queen Mary, and you can get an idea. You should be able to do it. Maybe Cunard has a tour when you get closer to your departure look at the offered tours. 

Hi, 

Yes, the Queen Mary is approximately a 15 or 20 minute drive from the Port of Los Angeles. I have visited the Queen Mary on my own during port stops in Los Angeles. As mentioned above, Cunard may offer a shore excursion to the Queen Mary. I was able to take a shore excursion to the Queen Mary during a Crystal cruise that stopped in Los Angeles.

I highly recommend visiting the Queen Mary. It is very interesting and guided tours of the ship are offered. I have stayed aboard the Queen Mary multiple times before or after cruises. 

Chuck

• Like 1

12 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Having visited her once, years ago, not while on the cruise, I still regret we didn't stay on board overnight. I would suggest booking at least a night in one of the most beautiful cabins, if you possibly can.

I would if we were overnighting in LA - but the (hopeful)  plan is Alaska via Hawaii - and then cruise back to Vancouver and then train to San Francisco to get on the ship. 

15 hours ago, exlondoner said:

What a splendid trip. How long will it take?

Oh it will be a long one!  Sf-Barcelona is 36 nights  Alaska cruises are normally 7 nights, I can't see spending less than a week on land in Alaska and  probably another week overland from Vancouver to SF. So that's 7 weeks and we'd still have to get home from Europe LOL  With a bit of planning can arrange to miss the whole of winter in NZ ! 

Edited by lissie

On 11/17/2020 at 7:05 AM, Craigrlewis said:

Was a right faff this morning
Got the cruise selected then it decided to change it all US$ not GBP
Cue various browsers used and the same result starts off in GBP then changes to US$

On hold to them for over 50 minutes on the phone
In the mean time website corrected itself but then wouldn't take my WC number
GRRR
Finally did it all online and was still on hold when I hung up

Q219 to Alaska 2022 - was supposed to be going June 2021 so pleased to book it

Have to say I guess they are under immense strain but can't say Im pleased that

• In June 2021 we had $640 onboard spending and now its $170
  • Fact had to pay another £700 odd deposit. I thought the FCC was moved so you didn't need to pay more now - clearly Im wrong and misreading that someone where along the line
  • Cant change my dining preference and they aren't taking phone calls now its "Sorry please call  back beep"

Moan over now Im going to count the days down!

Anyone else booked anything today?

We're booked on Q219 as well after our 2020 Alaska cruise was cancelled.  We booked P1 and it was a couple hundred dollars more but the cruise is going to Ketchikan and not Prince Rupert. That's worth the extra money.  We're down to $900 US OBC FROM $1300. We will no be going if  masks are required or excursions all have to be provided by the cruise companies.   Figures crossed!

Nothing for 2022, but we are looking at a TA for December, 2021.  Will all depend upon how the vaccine rolls out.  We may make the reservation and deposit this week.  It would be 3 BTB on the QM2, which we miss terribly.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:33 AM, tv24 said:

we are looking at a TA for December, 2021

We just signed up for the December 2021 crossings (BtB), under the assumption that vaccines will be widely available by then. I'm hoping that proof of vaccination will be required to board. I also had hoped things would be more or less back to normal by then, but what I've read recently is that we could still be wearing masks well into 2021.

17 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

We just signed up for the December 2021 crossings (BtB), under the assumption that vaccines will be widely available by then. I'm hoping that proof of vaccination will be required to board. I also had hoped things would be more or less back to normal by then, but what I've read recently is that we could still be wearing masks well into 2021.

Assuming I've had the vaccination, and it is effective, I don't see what harm people not having it can do to me. I think it would be absurd for most people not to have it, but I wouldn't for a moment wish to prevent those who can't have it from travelling. I can't really see the point of requiring a proof of vaccination.

I don't see what harm people not having it can do to me

Granted, a vaccination protects the patient and not those around him/her. Someone who has been vaccinated can still shed the virus. Regardless, I'd rather not have to deal with a COVID outbreak while I'm onboard. I'm also thinking along the lines similar to where some countries require a yellow fever vaccination prior to entry.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Assuming I've had the vaccination, and it is effective, I don't see what harm people not having it can do to me. I think it would be absurd for most people not to have it, but I wouldn't for a moment wish to prevent those who can't have it from travelling. I can't really see the point of requiring a proof of vaccination.

I wouldn't cruise if vaccination isn't compulsory  certainly not when either the ship or the passengers are coming from countries where the disease is out of  control. I don't want a cruise to be curtailed, locked down, or banned from ports because some precious non-vaccinator has got the disease.  

I strongly suspect Cunard won't want that either - I'm sure vaccination will be compulsory  -Qantas  has already said that vaccination will be compulsory on their flights when international flights resume and that's only for a trip of 12 or 14 hours -not weeks! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, exlondoner said:

This is where the whole concept of herd immunity is correctly applied.

Herd immunity comes from an adequate percentage of the population having been vaccinated; a vaccination is not a magic force-field which will protect the wearer whatever surrounds them. It assists greatly in minimising the spread and the severity of disease. It's just like all the other pro-social measures we've all been using for months (haven't we?) to protect both ourselves and the wider community including and especially those less robust than ourselves - they all help but none is a magic bullet.

And this is why we should all want every person on a cruise ship to have proof of vaccination - to protect all of us, passengers and crew alike as well as those who live in the ports the ships will visit.

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Like 1

We have booked a 10-day Alaska cruise for June 2022. We were given a $300 pp OBC for booking early. This was a surprise as I had not seen it on Cunard’s site. We used a future cruise deposit for the booking and were pleased that this was accepted as the full deposit without having to add to it (to make up the usual amount of deposit) as was the custom until recently. The deposit comes with a further $400 pp OBC. There is also a “Grills” drinks package and gratuities paid promotion.

Several weeks ago we booked the Québec – New York voyage for October 2021. We acknowledge that this might not go ahead. The Canadian border is still closed to tourist travel – probably indefinitely, although officially it is extended on a monthly basis. Because of the government advisory we cannot get medical or cancellation insurance that will cover issues related to COVID-19. Final payment is due in June so we can decide then whether this voyage is feasible if it hasn’t been cancelled by Cunard.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, david,Mississauga said:

We have booked a 10-day Alaska cruise for June 2022. We were given a $300 pp OBC for booking early. This was a surprise as I had not seen it on Cunard’s site. We used a future cruise deposit for the booking and were pleased that this was accepted as the full deposit without having to add to it (to make up the usual amount of deposit) as was the custom until recently. The deposit comes with a further $400 pp OBC. There is also a “Grills” drinks package and gratuities paid promotion.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, david,Mississauga said:

Was your future cruise deposit a new one or was in one that had gone back into the pot after another cruise was cancelled? (I have the impression you might have been booked on the cruise up the Eastern Seaboard this October that we had also booked). We are looking at a British cruise in 2022 but my TA says we will have to add to our future cruise deposit to make up the full amount. That makes me a bit nervous because I want to feel free to bail if the situation doesn't look good a year from now. And if anyone who has done the cruise around Britain wants to chime in with how rough the seas are, feel free. I've just discovered that the pills I took a couple of nights on the Alaska cruise make me feel lightheaded and dizzy when I'm on dry land so I dont' want to take them again.

10 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

Was your future cruise deposit a new one or was in one that had gone back into the pot after another cruise was cancelled? (I have the impression you might have been booked on the cruise up the Eastern Seaboard this October that we had also booked). We are looking at a British cruise in 2022 but my TA says we will have to add to our future cruise deposit to make up the full amount. That makes me a bit nervous because I want to feel free to bail if the situation doesn't look good a year from now. And if anyone who has done the cruise around Britain wants to chime in with how rough the seas are, feel free. I've just discovered that the pills I took a couple of nights on the Alaska cruise make me feel lightheaded and dizzy when I'm on dry land so I dont' want to take them again.

Yes, our future cruise deposits were used for bookings this year but have been returned to us. (We had booked the extended eastbound crossing to Southampton via Iceland, then we added on the immediate return to N.Y. for a total of 21 days. We cancelled it before making the final payment because it was unlikely this could go ahead. Cunard cancelled it a week later.)

We used the first FCD for a 7-day Québec – NY voyage for October 2021 and the second one for the Alaska 2022 cruise. We have been fortunate that for the past few trips the small FCD has been accepted as a deposit. Previously we always had to pay the difference between the FCD - which has cost us Can.$360 or $390 pp depending on the exchange rate between the U.S. and  Can.$ -  and the usual 25% deposit.

With deposits being refundable in Canada and the U.S. up until the final payment date, bookings are risk-free. The only exception has been the occasional promotion with a $100 non-refundable deposit. We had that deal on last year’s Alaska cruise and we could not use the FCD and therefore had no OBC. But the fare was substantially lower than the “launch fare” so we did well.

Thank you for explaining about the refundable part before the final payment. That makes me a little more likely to book it. The price seems to be pretty good. Now I just have to decide between Cunard care and the TAs travel insurance. She says that the pandemic is a preexisting condition so it won't be covered. And I think we might have been on the same Alaska cruise in 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

We "would have" absolutely booked Cunard for Alaska for 2022- because it is our favorite- to replace the original one cancelled from August 2020... but we could not do so since Cunard is only sailing to Alaska in June and July in 2022.
So we still plan to go to Alaska in August of 2022- celebrating a big anniversary. We made a reservation for a different cruise line who could accommodate our time restraints.
Our next future goal is to plan a Transatlantic voyage with Cunard in the future on QM2!

I just booked the NY to Southampton crossing 1/3/22. I have until 12/27 to pay my deposit and I'm getting cold feet   This is strange because I did this same voyage back in 2013 and had a wonderful time.  I travel solo. I was interested in one of the new solo cabins but none were available for this voyage and winter is the time I want to go so I went with a single in a double occupancy which worked out slightly cheaper.  It was fine (standard, inside) last time as I am not fussy.  This time I know what to expect so dont understand why I am nervous.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:58 AM, exlondoner said:

Your having the vaccination will hopefully protect you — but if enough people fail/refuse to get the vaccination the contagion may continue.  If the contagion continues, the disruption to your life - including the continued suspension of cruising - might be seen as a “harm” to you.

Adfitionally, if your cruise were denied access to a port you were interested in seeing because of non-vaccinated people on board might be seen as a “harm” to you.

If their refusing to have it would keep you from traveling wouldn’t you perhaps think that, just perhaps, they might not have the right to screw up your life?