New vaccine

hollyjess

Some good news from PHE on the effectiveness of the vaccines against the Delta Variant

The analysis suggests:

• the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 96% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses
  • the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is 92% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses

Full Press Release here. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-hospitalisation-from-delta-variant

• Like 4

Where I volunteer we had a Phizer vaccine clinic today and I would say that approximately 70% of the people attending were under 30 and they were all happy to be getting their first dose and looking forward to getting their second dose because they need to get back to normal.  We were giving them information sheets about the vaccine and drawing their attention to the fact that they will not have maximum protection until 2 weeks after their second dose. I can see another spike in infections coming because so many of them seemed to think that that they can go out tonight without masks because they will be protected instantly.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Where I volunteer we had a Phizer vaccine clinic today and I would say that approximately 70% of the people attending were under 30 and they were all happy to be getting their first dose and looking forward to getting their second dose because they need to get back to normal.  We were giving them information sheets about the vaccine and drawing their attention to the fact that they will not have maximum protection until 2 weeks after their second dose. I can see another spike in infections coming because so many of them seemed to think that that they can go out tonight without masks because they will be protected instantly.

This is very true. Despite politicians constantly bleating about trusting the Great British Public it's very obvious that you can't, and they must know that.

Older people are just as bad though. I know several who just started acting normally again immediately after jab one. Even last January when the background rate was high.

• Like 2

I had my 2nd AZ jab yesterday. I only had a tender injection point last time and no reaction at all this time so far !!!!! Hopefully continues that way and I'm not tempting fate.

It's nice to know that in a few weeks I should have best protection (if it's worked OK in me), I admit that I was a bit wary when eating out during our week in Dorset last week.

• Like 7

Lets hope everyone who wants a jab gets a jab .For the over 18's it was not for 

the lack of trying outside the Sheffield Crucible yesterday where a lot were turned

away due to the sheer volume of people hoping to get the jab . I hope they soon get

their jab.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, kalos said:

Lets hope everyone who wants a jab gets a jab .For the over 18's it was not for 

the lack of trying outside the Sheffield Crucible yesterday where a lot were turned

away due to the sheer volume of people hoping to get the jab . I hope they soon get

their jab.

Our youngest grandson 24, has his first jab booked for June 24th, and his second for September 2nd. His Mum's second is this Thursday, and our eldest grandson's 2nd is July 20th.  As a family group we're nearly there.

Avril

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

This is very true. Despite politicians constantly bleating about trusting the Great British Public it's very obvious that you can't, and they must know that.

Older people are just as bad though. I know several who just started acting normally again immediately after jab one. Even last January when the background rate was high.

It would appear then that West Yorkshire must have the highest level of intelligence in the country, because I know of no one who thinks they will be fully protected by one jab, especially when the medics are all saying it takes 2-4 weeks for the antibodies to begin to work, and stressing that you must have a second jab to build up your immunity to its maximum.

Now cruising is resuming, albeit cautiously, off cruising topic discussions such as this are being closed. The 'How are things where you are' thread is still open for the present.

• Like 2