Cabin noise zuiderdam

13momo

We are booked on the zuiderdam for our first cruise, and have been assigned a signature suite on deck 8, underneath Lido market (Sy8087). I am wondering if there will be much noise overhead, or if the seating areas of the Market are carpeted. Also, does anyone know if there are any noisy areas near that cabin? (Daytime isn’t an issue, but I have a terrible time sleeping.) thanks!

I have checked deck plans, but there might be things I can’t see there, or don’t recognize as being a potential source of noise. 

• 4 months later...

update: 

After seeing a video that showed the noise from the food trolleys above that suite, We're being moved to underneath the Lido pool area (forward) SY 8051 .  I have heard different opinions on the noise of moving loungers. Someone suggested that this pool deck is set up in the evening, and there is no late night or early morning noise from there. Does anyone know from experience?  We will be travelling to Alaska in September next year.

1 hour ago, 13momo said:

update: 

After seeing a video that showed the noise from the food trolleys above that suite, We're being moved to underneath the Lido pool area (forward) SY 8051 .  I have heard different opinions on the noise of moving loungers. Someone suggested that this pool deck is set up in the evening, and there is no late night or early morning noise from there. Does anyone know from experience?  We will be travelling to Alaska in September next year.

Well, I haven’t been to Alaska, but I have been on a lot of cruises and every one I have been on, the loungers were taken down at night and set up early in the morning after mopping (I’m an early riser) and loungers go back up.

I don’t know if you are light sleepers or not, but I would NEVER book under the Lido pool.  JMO.  

I would book under the Canaletto if I could (non connecting room if possible) or just below the Canaletto.  that area is usually good in my experience.

If you dig hard enough you will always find someone unhappy about something - the key is to find a room you will be comfortable with.  There may be some noise since you’re under the Lido, the key is to not have any disturbing noise.

I’ve never had a problem under the Canaletto or thereabouts.  I would not book a cabin under the Lido pool area if I had any choice.  Once was enough.  But that’s just me.

2 hours ago, 13momo said:

.  I have heard different opinions on the noise of moving loungers.

I totally agree with @kazu.  We were under the Lido pool once and NEVER again.  The scraping sounds of the chairs and lounges was too much for us. If you have to be on Deck 8, I’d recommend the carpeted Lido Market area or forward under the Salon or Spa. We were under the Salon once and had no sound problems. Now we just avoid that deck altogether and book the deck below that. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 5:20 PM, 13momo said:

We are booked on the zuiderdam for our first cruise, and have been assigned a signature suite on deck 8, underneath Lido market (Sy8087). I am wondering if there will be much noise overhead, or if the seating areas of the Market are carpeted. Also, does anyone know if there are any noisy areas near that cabin? (Daytime isn’t an issue, but I have a terrible time sleeping.) thanks!

I have checked deck plans, but there might be things I can’t see there, or don’t recognize as being a potential source of noise. 

DH and I were on the Oosterdam to Mexican Riviera in February of 2020.  We had a verandah, and was offered an upsell to a Signature Guarantee. It was only $200 extra pp, so we jumped on it. Oh my....what a beautiful room!  

We were in room 8075 which is under the Canaletto. I have no problem whatsoever with noises, but DH is a light sleeper. You really hear the trolley carts rolling over the ceramic tiles on the floor of the Lido. Thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk. If they had vinyl plank floors instead, it would be way more tolerable.

I have a video of our room on Youtube: 

L.

• Like 2

Leerathje - thanks for your very good point - you were under the narrow part of the Canaletto, I believe which would account for the disruption.

Any part of the wider carpeted area of the Lido should escape that.

13momo - there are some good pics of the Lido on halfacts.com  - take a look at the Zuiderdam (it’s Lido is identical to the Oosterdam) as well as the Oosterdam to see the carpeting and get an idea of the width.

If you go to cruise deck plans.com and check out their deck plan of the Lido, they show the seating area in detail unlike the Hal deck plans so you can see the widest parts which are carpeted.  There should be no noise under those areas.

• Like 1

Thanks you, everyone, for your input. We eventually found a YouTube review of the cabin, and it appears that the noise of the rolling trolley is very loud. As a poor sleeper, that led me to change cabins. We are now under the forward pool area, and have been told that cleaning takes place around 9:00 pm (so we’ll make sure to be somewhere else at that time, and set up around 6:00 - maybe a good time for breakfast on the balcony or a shower lol

we’re kind of hoping that being an Alaska cruise in September, the pool area won’t be too busy. 

• Like 1