Hotel Southampton

tring

Considering at the 'Hilton at The Ageas Bowl' for a Friday night pre cruise next June.  We need parking and prefer a quiet location, so as we can book this with loyalty points it looks fine.

The one thing that bothers us a tad is if we may get stuck in traffic trying to get the port on the Saturday when Iona is in port along with MSC Magnifica, Regal Princess and Celebrity Silhouette (according to cruise timetables.com).  We do not normally sail in the summer, but have been caught in traffic going to the port previously, so can anyone give me any advice regards ease of getting there from that hotel.  We know the route either on the toll bridge or the one further up, but not done it high season.

We have stayed in the Holiday Inn, Winchester previously, which is also a good hotel and wondering if it would be better sticking to the motorway route in to the port from that hotel.

Edited by tring

10 minutes ago, tring said:

Considering at the 'Hilton at The Ageas Bowl' for a Friday night pre cruise next June.  We need parking and prefer a quiet location, so as we can book this with loyalty points it looks fine.

The one thing that bothers us a tad is if we may get stuck in traffic trying to get the port on the Saturday when Iona is in port along with MSC Magnifica, Regal Princess and Celebrity Silhouette (according to cruise timetables.com).  We do not normally sail in the summer, but have been caught in traffic going to the port previously, so can anyone give me any advice regards ease of getting there from that hotel.  We know the route either on the toll bridge or the one further up, but not done it high season.

We have stayed in the Holiday Inn, Winchester previously, which is also a good hotel and wondering if it would be better sticking to the motorway route in to the port from that hotel.

The problem with the M3 from Winchester is if it goes wrong, which it often does, you have little viable alternatives. 

From the Ageas Bowl, you have probably 6 options. 

It's a 20 minute journey, maybe 30 in traffic, so makes sense to me. 

We are about to start laying new carpets in the bowl, so may see you there. 

Andy 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The problem with the M3 from Winchester is if it goes wrong, which it often does, you have little viable alternatives. 

From the Ageas Bowl, you have probably 6 options. 

It's a 20 minute journey, maybe 30 in traffic, so makes sense to me. 

We are about to start laying new carpets in the bowl, so may see you there. 

Andy 

Much appreciated, advice for a local is invaluable 🙂

Hope the carpet contract goes well,

Barbara

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tring said:

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn close to the docks but we have stayed at the Mercure Dolphin and the Hilton, all were fine for a pre-cruise night.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn close to the docks but we have stayed at the Mercure Dolphin and the Hilton, all were fine for a pre-cruise night.

We tend to stay at the Dolphin as well.  Hope the Turkish restaurant next door survives.

9 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We tend to stay at the Dolphin as well.  Hope the Turkish restaurant next door survives.

Unfortunately a lot of the family owned, traditional restaurants in Southampton were hit hard pre pandemic when the new West Quay opened. 

Lets hope they come out the other side. 

Andy 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tring said:

Hi

We always stay here the night before (unless it is a cruise of more than 2 weeks or so) and book a club room with a view of the pitch. Restaurant is good, rooms very good and the club lounge is quiet with wine and nibbles in the evening as part of package. The staff advise you to put your car in a quiet part of the car park and will order you a private taxi the next day at a time of your choosing.

Great choice to start the holiday

The lounge is available until you leave, even after you have checked out of your room

Edited by Holiday130256
  • Like 2

Never booked a pre cruise hotel with parking included as do not trust security of my car whilst on the cruise. We have stayed at Chilworth Manor in the past but now use Holiday Inn Express just off M271 and there is a nice pub within walking distance for evening meal. Buffet breakfast is included with HIE and is very good value. We then use either Parling4Cruises or free parking with CPS depending on what OBC is available at time of booking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never booked a pre cruise hotel with parking included as do not trust security of my car whilst on the cruise. We have stayed at Chilworth Manor in the past but now use Holiday Inn Express just off M271 and there is a nice pub within walking distance for evening meal. Buffet breakfast is included with HIE and is very good value. We then use either Parling4Cruises or free parking with CPS depending on what OBC is available at time of booking.

We have done both, hotel parking only once all other cruises we have driven ourselves. We find this far easier and certainly much quicker on disembarkation than having to rely on phoning the hotel for the taxi back to our car, and having to load and unload our luggage from  the taxi, then load it up into the car. By the time we are ready to leave the hotel car park we can be well passed Winchester and cruising up the A34. So its either the HIE off the M271 or the PI at the airport for us  whichever offers the best deal.

• Like 1

We are PI fans. Obviously not 4*, but the central city ones are well placed for shops and restaurants. For such a short stay we prefer to save money on the hotel, and the money saved we spend on board ship!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Looking for a good hotel, with parking, wife likes 4* ! It would be nice to be within walking distance of the shops and restaurants, previously we have stayed out of town so limited with things to do. Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

If you want to be within walking distance of the shops in the city centre, your best bets are the Leonardo Royal, Mercure Dolphin or Holiday Inn.

• Like 2

Just now, majortom10 said:

There is also a PI just off M271  with a Beefeater next door and with easy access to the port which we are considering for our next cruise.

Is that in the same location as the HIE majortom? If so we missed it on our last visit in July 2019.

47 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes it is off the same junction of M271.

The advantage of staying in that area is that if the cruise is leaving from the City or Mayflower terminal you can enter through dock gate 20 at Millbrook and drive through the quiet dock roads, rather than go into the often congested city. Downside is that they are not near any major shopping areas, although a 2 minute drive takes you to a Sainsburys and shopping precinct at Lordshill.

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We only need parking for the night that we will stay on the hotel.  We have now seen a number of reviews mentioning a shortage of hotel parking spaces, even in the Hilton Ageas Bowl, so went for the Double Tree by Hilton in the end and can still use points.

We have a fair journey down and always seem to leave late, so good availability of parking is important.  We will not have the to go out and about - just need somewhere to rest.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn a few times when we went off season or travelled down by train, but again concerned about parking this time.

Edited by tring

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

And you get IHG loyalty points at Holiday Inn, but get Accor points at Mercure. As I say to DW, before we book a hotel, or cruise, or go shopping " who shall we be loyal to today "?🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

And you get IHG loyalty points at Holiday Inn, but get Accor points at Mercure. As I say to DW, before we book a hotel, or cruise, or go shopping " who shall we be loyal to today "?🤣

DH does online questionnaires that can return Hilton points and we have a payment card with gains points with IHG, so can be useful in an ongoing way.  We find them particularly useful for airport or Southampton hotels when we just stay a night or two, but prices are fairly high.  Had a few extra nights elsewhere this year in a Holiday Inn and a Hol Inn Express which were giving a low number of points for payment.  Point payments can also be cancelled at short notice, so again very useful before holidays in case plans change and especially so this year.

3 minutes ago, tring said:

DH does online questionnaires that can return Hilton points and we have a payment card with gains points with IHG, so can be useful in an ongoing way.  We find them particularly useful for airport or Southampton hotels when we just stay a night or two, but prices are fairly high.  Had a few extra nights elsewhere this year in a Holiday Inn and a Hol Inn Express which were giving a low number of points for payment.  Point payments can also be cancelled at short notice, so again very useful before holidays in case plans change and especially so this year.

I do the same, but swap mine for Accor points. We have had money off a few times and got 50% off the Fairmont in Vancouver for next June. Most hotel chains give points. We were in Nova Scotia last year and found the tour used Delta hotels. They are in the Marriot group, so joined that one. We got free high speed internet and room upgrades. I must sound like a tight git. Truth is ,I am🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

I do the same, but swap mine for Accor points. We have had money off a few times and got 50% off the Fairmont in Vancouver for next June. Most hotel chains give points. We were in Nova Scotia last year and found the tour used Delta hotels. They are in the Marriot group, so joined that one. We got free high speed internet and room upgrades. I must sound like a tight git. Truth is ,I am🤣

Not tight at all - the word is "astute".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to book a Stay and Park package at the Holiday Inn near the port. They are not accepting bookings for late August next year because of Boat Show. Could have booked a room but they wouldn't tie up a parking space for 15 days. Booked Double Tree, Hilton. Good deal I thought £210 for stay, parking, breakfast, dinner and cancel up to 48 hours before stay date.

• Like 1

We have always stayed at the Boathouse on Hythe Marina. It only has 10 rooms, most of which have fantastic views of Southampton Water. Friendly service; restaurant in-house. We always get up to watch 'our' ship coming into port to welcome us. Free parking within yards; lovely walk to the water's edge to watch all the comings and goings. Hythe village is within walking distance, and if the roads are snarled up, just take the Hythe Ferry to your ship (bit challenging if you've loads of luggage though; but we have seen people do it).  

• Thanks 1