New health Protocols

emam

16 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Assuming that the vaccine is effective against the variant, and that it is approved before the end of the year, then there is cause for optimism, along the possibility of thinking about cruise holidays again 😁 ...

We all know really it won't be Easter, but maybe saying another year from now is a touch bleak.  As ever, content to be proven wrong, but I want to be right on this occasion!

Sorry to hear about the cancelled Christmas plans.  I hope that posters can still enjoy their Christmas even in these dark times.

I was wondering what effect this new strain of the virus will have on the restart of cruising.

it is said that the new strain is 70% more infectious.

I wouldn’t be keen on joining a closed community when there’s something that infectious going round.

I think a significant portion of the population will need to be vaccinated and the virus transmission rate will have to be driven down to a very low figure before they can even consider restarting.

I had thought they’d get some short scenic cruises sailing in the spring. Not so sure now. The trouble is, if all this goes on for even  longer the threat to the cruiselines becomes existential. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Same thing was said on Andrew Mar. I don't know if it was the same Lady, but she sure did sound like she knew the subject. Government were told on Friday. There is an absence of apologies on here from people who now know better. Boris didn't know on Wednesday, neither did the knight of Islington. He knew on Friday, met with ministers and experts on Friday and Saturday. No u turn here folks, just people trying their best to stop us dying, but giving as much freedom as they can. 

Hancock announced the new variant of the virus to Parliament on Monday.

Are you genuinely saying that Johnson and Starmer didn’t know about it on Wednesday? 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

They have known there has been a variant that is much more virulent since September.

Watch the Andrew Marr show from this morning, it makes very interesting viewing.

We all know that the new virus was identified in September, and we all know that it appears to be much  more infectious. But if you watched the briefing you should have noted the major increase in the percentage of the new variant in the most recent weeks data from the previous week. That was the slide with the 2  lots of 3 different coloured bars for the 3 different SE areas, and both Valance and Whitty said the latest weeks figures were only available on Friday and that was what had brought about the change in their advice.

So for pitys sake will you all stop carping about Boris's failings and get behind the govt and support them in trying to keep the virus under control until the vaccine gives us the opportunity to push it into a corner.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

it is said that the new strain is 70% more infectious.

I think they're all saying "up to 70%", which could be anything between 0% and 69%, so let's hope it's the lower figure. It's a bit like the sales in shops "up to 50% off" or "kills up to 99% of known germs" on loo cleaner.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

To be fair when this was discussed back in November I think that there was optimism that the Astra Zeneca vaccine would be available for almost immediate use. The lack of this resource will have slowed down the vaccine programme.

This virus is fast moving so nothing is ever quite certain.

That was certainly the case and I am wondering how much the different data for different dose regime has been the stumbling block.  There has always been mention by experts that the roll out can be affected by supply of vaccine as problems can be encountered, JVT has gone into examples of that like clearance and manufacture.  Yes Boris has been silly regards expectations, but did any of us really take his word over the experts?

What I am  concerned about is getting the vaccine into the country.  Transport disruption due to late decisions regards EU has been in my mind, as both deal or not, sound bad for that.  The recent events with us being banned from entering Belgium and Holland is also worrisome to me as I feel it could affect transport getting to/from Continental Europe, but I have no knowledge of how goods transport works.  The Government have previously said they are confident that transport will not be disrupted, but I am not confident of that personally, though once we can get enough to do vaccinations in big venues like sports centres etc. as planned, I can see things going quite swiftly.

They have always said very little will be done before January but that is to protect homes, health workers and the very elderly.  The elderly in the community can keep away from infection risk by staying home, so I certainly think they should be the last of those groups to be done.  Having hospital staff off ill is surly not desirable at present.

Edited by tring

14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Hancock announced the new variant of the virus to Parliament on Monday.

Are you genuinely saying that Johnson and Starmer didn’t know about it on Wednesday? 

They knew about the new strain. The panel researching the transmission rate got their results on Friday and immediately told the government who met with experts on Friday and Saturday. Stammer now's nowt, but the Government were told the seriousness on Friday. They all knew that there was a new strain, but not warned Until Friday. Friday, not Wednesday. Replay Mar and Sky. Friday. That is what I am genuinely saying. Friday.

27 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We all know that the new virus was identified in September, and we all know that it appears to be much  more infectious. But if you watched the briefing you should have noted the major increase in the percentage of the new variant in the most recent weeks data from the previous week. That was the slide with the 2  lots of 3 different coloured bars for the 3 different SE areas, and both Valance and Whitty said the latest weeks figures were only available on Friday and that was what had brought about the change in their advice.

So for pitys sake will you all stop carping about Boris's failings and get behind the govt and support them in trying to keep the virus under control until the vaccine gives us the opportunity to push it into a corner.

Sorry but his failing are just too numerous. Many in his own party feel the same. 

The scientists have been strongly advising restrictions at Christmas for some weeks now. Allowing fairly large groups of people to meet over 5 days was never wise given the scientific worlds views on the matter and the fact that the faster acting strain was known about. He may have known more about it on Friday, but he knew about it long before and the numbers were rising.

We are allowed to question our leaders, that’s democracy.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Everybody wants to keep the virus under control and most people are doing everything they can to support the government in this.

However, if I managed to notice that something odd was happening in my area in the middle of November, it beggars belief that Valance and Whitty and all the other scientists and medics realised on Friday. I don’t think for a minute that this is the case

I’m sorry, Johnson left it too late, only reacting when he was completely forced to by events. 

We are allowed to talk about this. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry but his failing are just too numerous. Many in his own party feel the same. 

The scientists have been strongly advising restrictions at Christmas for some weeks now. Allowing fairly large groups of people to meet over 5 days was never wise given the scientific worlds views on the matter and the fact that the faster acting strain was known about. He may have known more about it on Friday, but he knew about it long before and the numbers were rising.

We are allowed to question our leaders, that’s democracy.

You are right we are allowed to question our leaders as it should be, I see that some MP's want to recall Parliament to vote on the changes, if they were to do that and vote against the new restrictions then what? there is no doubt that the infection rate would rise and more people would die. Next month a lot of the same people would be blaming Boris for not putting us into some form of lockdown sooner. I can imagine the headlines "Boris killed my granny". Damned if he does damned if he doesn't springs to mind. This is a fluid situation and I think we are going to have to continue dealing with it for several months at least. I am glad I don't have to make these decisions.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Everybody wants to keep the virus under control and most people are doing everything they can to support the government in this.

However, if I managed to notice that something odd was happening in my area in the middle of November, it beggars belief that Valance and Whitty and all the other scientists and medics realised on Friday. I don’t think for a minute that this is the case

I’m sorry, Johnson left it too late, only reacting when he was completely forced to by events. 

We are allowed to talk about this. 

The Welsh health minister is saying right now on Sky that they knew about the virus, but didn't realize how significant it was until Friday. Another fibber?🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

The Welsh health minister is saying right now on Sky that they knew about the virus, but didn't realize how significant it was until Friday. Another fibber?🤔

As the variant strain is prevalent in Kent, Essex and London, I personally wouldn't be too hard on the Welsh health minister not being fully up to speed on the situation in south east England. Wales have their own problems to deal with right now, so I would expect them to be concentrating on that, not sorting out south east England too 

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As the variant strain is prevalent in Kent, Essex and London, I personally wouldn't be too hard on the Welsh health minister not being fully up to speed on the situation in south east England. Wales have their own problems to deal with right now, so I would expect them to be concentrating on that, not sorting out south east England too 

The problem is that it won't be prevalent just in the south soon as the dozy buggers that are jumping on trains and travelling all over the country are going to spread it.

• Like 2

I would not want to be a PM or any other politician with this virus.  Whatever they do is wrong.  We all envied the Swedes not doing lockdown and getting only a few cases.  Now they are getting big spikes and the Government is admitting they were wrong.

I think our Government has done their best.  Got to be better than the States.  Trump did absolutely nothing and look how bad it is over there.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

yes, it's going to be everywhere by the end of Christmas

Agree.  Luckily for Devon and Cornwall Great Western have a limited service due to Covid amongst the staff, so I hope flaming second home owners don't pour down here.  I will know when I go in to work tomorrow.

Edited by jeanlyon

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I would not want to be a PM or any other politician with this virus.  Whatever they do is wrong.  We all envied the Swedes not doing lockdown and getting only a few cases.  Now they are getting big spikes and the Government is admitting they were wrong.

I think our Government has done their best.  Got to be better than the States.  Trump did absolutely nothing and look how bad it is over there.

Very true Jean, I think our govt are now performing better than the rest of Europe.

It is interesting to see that on the Worldometer covid website we have now dropped to about 11th on their deaths per million listing, below Italy, Spain and Belgium  with the USA and France only just below us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Very true Jean, I think our govt are now performing better than the rest of Europe.

It is interesting to see that on the Worldometer covid website we have now dropped to about 11th on their deaths per million listing, below Italy, Spain and Belgium  with the USA and France only just below us.

A lot will turn a blind eye to that😉. It nullifies their political agenda somewhat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Ah, but the Government should have known on Wednesday what the experts were going to say on Friday. That nice Sir Keir Starmer knew. He knows everything, about 3 days after it happens. The government have got a few things wrong. But the lack of a clairvoyant in the cabinet cannot be forgiven. Ask the government what will happen to the mutation of the strain next Tuesday fortnight. They don't know. Sir Keir will.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes I noticed that and France have way more cases than us by a long way, although not so many deaths.

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Yes I noticed that and France have way more cases than us by a long way, although not so many deaths.

Yes but have they got the new strain?  and if they have did they know about it on Wednesday or Friday, or maybe another day with a Y in it😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

9 cases of the new strain reported in Denmark.  I suppose it's possible, we have just found the new strain first?

Most likely the mutation occurred here first as we have by far the most cases The Netherlands also have cases so several countries are planning to stop travel from the UK. How will this impact on cross channel goods traffic is worrying

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

9 cases of the new strain reported in Denmark.  I suppose it's possible, we have just found the new strain first?

Well if this virus is as clever as they say  it's possible it knew we had the vaccine first, so it has started mutating here first!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Yes but have they got the new strain?  and if they have did they know about it on Wednesday or Friday, or maybe another day with a Y in it😁

If we got it in Kent first, it could have been in all those foreign lorries, or if they get it in France, it could be from our haddocks.😁