Gulf Coast Cruises?

Dauntless

I recently read that Viking has been to Panama City, Florida and was scoping out the location for a Gulf Coast Cruise.  Not on the schedule yet that I know of.  It will be done on the Star, according to the report.  I don't know anything about any other ports.  I think there is something that says you have to make a stop on an Ocean cruise in one foreign country but I'm not sure.  Wonder how that would be arranged?  I think they might be looking for ways to put the ships to work while things are still pretty much in the air.  Anyone else heard about this?

If the CDC limits cruises to seven days or less, Viking will have to do something different in America.

https://www.newsherald.com/story/news/2020/12/08/panama-city-florida-become-excursion-stop-vikings-cruise/6482567002/

The seven-day cruise starts in Tampa, making Panama City its second stop. From there, it goes to Mobile, Alabama; Key West; Nassau, Bahamas; then back to Tampa.

The Viking Star ship will stop for about six hours, arriving about noon each Tuesday. The 930 passengers and 465 crew members ship will anchor in St. Andrew Bay where tenders will meet to transport guests to local attractions.

https://www.wjhg.com/2020/12/09/local-leaders-say-viking-cruises-could-bring-large-economic-impact-to-bay-county/

https://www.wjhg.com/2020/12/19/another-step-forward-for-viking-cruises/

• Like 1

Very interesting Dauntless.  Where was this report?  I am curious because I lived in that part of the world most of my adult life.  I have been going to Panama City since childhood for beach time.  PC is a deepwater port but the port itself is not near anything special and is rather industrial.  Panama City has been famous for decades as the Spring Break Capital of the Gulf Coast.  Beautiful beaches, lots of condos and beach bars, and the usual Florida resorts with golf courses.  Not really where I would send a Viking ship.  Imho, a much better Gulf port is about 100 miles west in Pensacola.  Pensacola is another deepwater port with the port right in the downtown historic district.  Lots of shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance of the port.  Also Pensacola is a Navy town with Pensacola Naval Air station, home of the Navy's Blue Angels flight team.  Quite often you can see the Blue Angels practicing their shows over the port.  Also at NAS Pensacola is the Naval Aviation Museum.  A great stop for anyone with any interest in the Navy or in Aviation. I think the exhibits are Smithsonian quality or even better.   A bit further to the West is Mobile, Alabama.  Another historic city with the added benefit of an existing cruise terminal downtown.  Further West is New Orleans.  I am sure everyone has an idea of what's available in and around New Orleans.  A great benefit for Viking would be that they cross paths here with Viking Mississippi.  As to the foreign port, a sea day or so southwest of NOLA is Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, a couple of fun stops in Mexico.  I would think the Gulf/Mexico would sell at least as good as the Great Lakes.  Maybe better due to warmer weather and better beaches/outdoor places.  An interesting thought. Keep us posted if you hear any more.  Have a great weekend..

This was on PC’s local news about a month ago but I was reluctant to comment.  We have a place east of there past Mexico Beach.  When I first heard this I checked the calendar but no, it’s not April 1st.  Now, Jim, don’t make the easy mistake of confusing Panama City with Panama City Beach.  Two different vibes.  St Andrew Bay is off “old” Panama City.  Granted, they are still recovering from the storm (Anybody remember hurricane Michael?) but they’re working hard at it with knowledgeable and imaginative leadership.  It is an artsy little town with small funky restaurants.  Sort of like Key West but more subdued.  Not sure, however, what they’ll do for longer excursions.  I agree that Pensacola would be more upscale but this area could use an infusion of tourism.  “Old Florida” is the byword.

Check out the itinerary in the links above.  But no way they’re doing a trip a month from now!

• Like 1

Haha, yes, I mentioned "beach time".  I wrongly assumed everyone knows the "action" was on PC Beach.  Remember La Vela?  Party with thousands!  Rowdyest place I ever saw during Spring Break.  But that was a couple of years ago.......😱

Just now, Jim Avery said:

Haha, yes, I mentioned "beach time".  I wrongly assumed everyone knows the "action" was on PC Beach.  Remember La Vela?  Party with thousands!  Rowdyest place I ever saw during Spring Break.  But that was a couple of years ago.......😱

In more recent years we also appreciated the restaurants and laid back style of old Panama City proper.

I don’t think I was ever young enough for that kind of “action” plus I was living in the northern part of the south at that time! 😉 The local government has worked very hard recently to quiet all that down.  

By the way - Roll Tide!

1 hour ago, Geosez said:

I don’t think I was ever young enough for that kind of “action” plus I was living in the northern part of the south at that time! 😉 The local government has worked very hard recently to quiet all that down.  

By the way - Roll Tide!

Thanks!  Yes, I barely remember "action".  Haha, whoever said the old as you feel thing never had my knees.  If Viking does this cruise I am going to have to go.  😎

19 hours ago, Jjg34219 said:

Id love to see this since we live just south of Tampa!

How nice.   We were thinking we had it good because there is a direct flight from here to TPA.  We have stayed at the hotel in the terminal a time or two and find its ok.  Might have to come a day early to see if the Cuban food is still good in Ybor City.   Really sounds like a fun getaway.

I was emailed a survey by Viking in the U.K. last week about potential new cruises from March to May 2021. One of the options was two variations on a seven day cruise from Tampa which sounded like the ones mentioned. Other options included variations on a 13 day round British Isles cruise. Another was a lengthy Bermuda cruise (27 days I think) which docked in Bermuda for a number of days and did scenic cruising around the Bahamas and Virgin Islands. The last option was a 90 night cruise that consisted solely of sea days. I’m assuming it was visiting multiple locations as no real detail was given. All were in the region of £150-200 per person per night including flights. The survey also went into Viking’s protocols to ensure they wouldn’t put me off sailing.

Edited by Geoffa30

Another attraction would be a Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game. Need to wait for the schedule to be published to see if a game is being played the night before a cruise. 
The arena is only half a mile from the cruise port. There are also two hotels 3/4 miles from the port. A trolly runs between the arena/hotels/Ybor.  This would make a wonderful pre cruise extension. 

Go Bolts