Legend redeployment to the UK in 2021

MalGee64

Noting the current out of control outbreak in England, along with most of the EU and the other members of the UK slamming borders down with England, how long do we think it will it be before the Legend’s European season 2021 is shelved? 

I have a July 4th Iceland cruise. So much is up in the air. I have no flights booked, no particular reason to do that now. I'm just waiting to get an understanding of how things progress.

Also what's this about the Legend going for extended drydock? Is that really going to happen? If so, is it going to be a dramatic makeover like the Sunshine Class? If so, to me that means taking out all the woodtone molding and silver urn decoration for a more contemporary look, much like what they did when they added the Alchemy Bar on the Legend. 

The Legend has cruises in and out of Dover so that will make it difficult to have a season in Europe next year. 

Im doing B2B with the TA in October. My B2B Venice/TA on the Legend was cancelled for this year so Ive been half hoping we get to cruise next year.

About flights when I had to cancel my flight to Europe for this year, United gave me back my miles and didnt penalize me. They are still doing that for next year. i havent booked yet but i might just go ahead and do so. However, what's going to happen in Europe for travel next Fall ?

That's if we do get to cruise there.

I'm still confused by the fact that the eastbound TA was cancelled but the sailings in Europe are still on. 

Just had a look and while our final Med sailing on 10/23 is listed, the TA is not.  I'm booked on the B2B, which is a replacement for this past October sailings, which, of course, were cancelled.

I hadn't booked flights.  I just knew we weren't going to sail.  Still very unsure about booking them for next October!

Edited by NCTribeFan

2 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I'm still confused by the fact that the eastbound TA was cancelled but the sailings in Europe are still on. 

Just had a look and while our final Med sailing on 10/23 is listed, the TA is not.  I'm booked on the B2B, which is a replacement for this past October sailings, which, of course, were cancelled.

I hadn't booked flights.  I just knew we weren't going to sail.  Still very unsure about booking them for next October!

6 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I'  I'm booked on the B2B, which is a replacement for this past October sailings, which, of course, were cancelled.

Next year was not a replacement for this year. The 2021 cruises in Europe were available in Nov 2019 6 months before this years cruises were cancelled.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I have a July 4th Iceland cruise. So much is up in the air. I have no flights booked, no particular reason to do that now. I'm just waiting to get an understanding of how things progress.

Kwokpot, we’re booked b2b on that cruise and the one before it, June 25. I’m not holding out much hope even being able to fly to England, let alone board the ship, and as far as hotel accommodation in Dover - that’s anyone’s guess. 

No eastbound transatlantic and no westbound transatlantic in 2021, but the Europe itineraries are still on.   Hmmmm . . . what could that mean?

Before the pandemic, I booked the August 27, 2021 Legend cruise.   But unless European tourism is mostly back to normal by the time I have to make final payment in May, I will cancel and get my refundable deposit back.   I don't again want to go through the cancelations of flights, hotels, ground transportation, and private excursion that I had to deal with when NCL canceled my May 2020 British Isles cruise.   I will be profoundly sad at missing the cruise, but I don't want to tie up money while wondering if Carnival will cancel it.   

I am in the agreement of not being confident. Since Carnival (as a Cruise Line) does not have a big presence in Europe it would seem like a lot to take the gamble and send just one ship. April/May is a ways off- but not that far into the future. 

1 hour ago, Joanne G. said:

No eastbound transatlantic and no westbound transatlantic in 2021, but the Europe itineraries are still on.   Hmmmm . . . what could that mean?

My guess is that since they are more than 7 days and sailing from/to a US port, they are currently not permitted by the CDC Conditional Sailing Order.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sailingships said:

Next year was not a replacement for this year. The 2021 cruises in Europe were available in Nov 2019 6 months before this years cruises were cancelled.

I believe what she was saying is because 2020 got cancelled, there is a group of us that booked 2021 same time frame to replace our cancelled cruises so it was a replacement for us.

Pat

3 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

Those TA cruises are still good Carnival just took them off the website because the passenger capacity was close to the new 50 odd % level or they were the new "full" The Oct 31, 2021 is still good. The ship arrives back in Baltimore Nov 14 AFTER the CSO is over (unless the CSO or a ban is extended by the CDC and we all know how that goes.)

However the Legend TA from Tampa to Barcelona is no more probably because it was a 15 day. The ship will go over without passengers.(When who knows. Legend wasnt due to arrive at the dry dock in Barcelona until April 10.

If the Cruise Gremlins dont get us one way they'll think up something else.

Same old same old.

What Pat (Quickrate) said.  It was a replacement for us.  The 2020 Venice-Barcelona and Barca-Tampa sailings were more interesting itineraries (imo) and were a few more days, too.  Oh well!

I know the Carnival loyalists will sail just because it's Carnival in Europe, but other lines do Europe all the time.  And not necessarily more expensive than Carnival, either.  

A TA at 50% capacity on a Spirit-class ship would be fabulous.  They already have a much better space ratio than the rest of Carnival's fleet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sailingships said:

Those TA cruises are still good Carnival just took them off the website because the passenger capacity was close to the new 50 odd % level or they were the new "full" The Oct 31, 2021 is still good. The ship arrives back in Baltimore Nov 14 AFTER the CSO is over (unless the CSO or a ban is extended by the CDC and we all know how that goes.)

However the Legend TA from Tampa to Barcelona is no more probably because it was a 15 day. The ship will go over without passengers.(When who knows. Legend wasnt due to arrive at the dry dock in Barcelona until April 10.

If the Cruise Gremlins dont get us one way they'll think up something else.

Same old same old.

Thanks for the good information.    I didn't think about the issue of the TA's being more than 7 days, or a 50% capacity situation.   I certainly wonder if it makes economic sense for Carnival to send an empty ship across the Atlantic and/or operate at 50% capacity, but we have no way of knowing what they will do.  And the situation can easily change.   Actually, do we even know where the Legend has been, which would determine how it gets to the departure port for the first scheduled European cruise?  

I am also concerned about how welcoming European countries and ports will be.  I don't want to fly over for a cruise to nowhere or to be limited in what I can do ashore.  And I definitely don't want to worry about being quarantined in my cabin in case of a covid outbreak.   Sigh, the more I think about it, the less likely it seems that I will be sailing away from the white cliffs of Dover on Aug 27. 

The identical cruise is now available in 2022 on the Pride.   I already have some travel plans for 2022, but I could make adjustments and book the Pride.   Can we feel comfortable about cruising in 2022??  

17 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

The Legend has a drydock in Europe before this 2021 European season starts. If these cruises happen it will be the ship's first sailings since covid-19 shutdowns. She will reposition there without passengers. No TA to Europe but the European sailings available for now is the reason behind that. 

Edited by ohioNCLcruiser

1 hour ago, Joanne G. said:

I am also concerned about how welcoming European countries and ports will be.  I don't want to fly over for a cruise to nowhere or to be limited in what I can do ashore. 

I don't think you will have to worry about this. I'd almost guarantee that Carnival and every country the ship visits will have a requirement in place that everyone must show proof of having the covid-19 vaccine. I think this would be pretty well advertised to them.

2 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

What Pat (Quickrate) said.  It was a replacement for us.  The 2020 Venice-Barcelona and Barca-Tampa sailings were more interesting itineraries (imo) and were a few more days, too.  Oh well!

I know the Carnival loyalists will sail just because it's Carnival in Europe, but other lines do Europe all the time.  And not necessarily more expensive than Carnival, either.  

A TA at 50% capacity on a Spirit-class ship would be fabulous.  They already have a much better space ratio than the rest of Carnival's fleet.

My May 17 sailing is unique and not offered by other lines.  Price was very low for a balcony and although I prefer other lines I couldn't pass on the deal.....

4 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

.   Actually, do we even know where the Legend has been, which would determine how it gets to the departure port for the first scheduled European cruise?  

Legend has been anchored south of The Bahamas for months Last week she moved over to St Maarten and right now is moored in Phillipsburg. Every few days/weeks the ships have gone to or near a port for fresh supplies etc. This might be the one when Legend takes on more crew, supplies for her trip to Barcelona but dont hold your breathe. Her dry dock was not due until April.

I take great interest in her future whereabouts.

On 12/22/2020 at 9:03 AM, ohioNCLcruiser said:

I don't think you will have to worry about this. I'd almost guarantee that Carnival and every country the ship visits will have a requirement in place that everyone must show proof of having the covid-19 vaccine. I think this would be pretty well advertised to them.

You are probably right, but recurring outbreaks in the countries on my itinerary could result in attractions being closed or local officials rejecting cruise ships on general principle.  Cruise ships do get a lot of negative publicity.   I have time to make a decision, but that time is being spent adjusting to the idea of going in 2022 instead of 2021.  Sadly.  

In Princess' case, their Sky Princess was to do the transatlantic in Sept. 2021, continue with the Canada and New England cruises, then do the repo from NY to Ft. Lauderdale, which I was on.  Now the Sept. TA is cancelled and the Caribbean Princess is taking over the other dates including mine which is on Nov. 6th, after the Nov. 1 restriction.  The Sky Princess will remain in Europe doing various cruises and then they will do their TA on Nov. 5 to Ft. Lauderdale, avoiding the restriction.

We're booked on the 24 Sept Rome-Rome...Did book flights, but...that's primarily because we had expiring credits from previously cancelled cruise/flights that needed to get used.  

Hope I can roll all this over yet again...as from this thread (and general COVID news) it looks like another rolling wave of cancellations is about to hit? Unless...there's enough vaccine delivered and we all get a pass for getting the shot?

• Like 1