Linking reservations for dining

NCTribeFan

I'm booked on a 12 night NA sailing next December (re-booking of a re-booking of a cancellation).  It's actually a 7 night + 5 night.  I know HAL rarely has <7 night sailings.  Guess they did that because a "regular" 7-night would've ended on Christmas day so now they can sell the regular holiday sailing for a higher fare.

I've convinced a friend (who loves Carnival) to try HAL for the first time.  She's booking just the 5-night portion to see how she likes it, plus she's booking under the View & Verandah offer and bringing an 18-yr-old and a 23-yr-old and is mildly concerned that they'll be bored on HAL (after having sailed Carnival).  So, a short cruise is a good idea to try out a new line.

I have anytime dining but I know they'll prefer set dining.  Is it possible to link the two reservations just for the 5-day portion?  I'm betting it won't be.  Since I'll be solo until they arrive, I'd prefer to keep anytime for those first 7 nights.  I'm wondering whether I can just talk to the Maitre D and ask to then switch to set dining and be seated with them once they arrive.

23 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I would just talk to the Maitre' D. Easiest way to do it, and I never hear about requests not being fulfilled.

Agreed.  They seem to find a way to make things work in most cases.  Do it early and check a time or two later also.

Thanks.  I was thinking that would be the way to go.  I've read that changing for Anytime to Set is much easier than switching the other way, so that may help my case.  And, I'm only one person.  If I had a group of 6, I could see that it would be more of a challenge.

If she wants late dining, it should be easy in any case, since that is the time with less demand. Or, if you all want a table for just your party, she needs a table for four anyway, so sitting you with the three of them is also easy. 

Hope they enjoy the cruise! 

Having cruised with friends for many years, we have always taken the necessary steps to link our bookings for dining.  Most of us are 4 or 5*.  Never once has HAL gotten it right, and one cruise at check-in, one couple was on early dining (we always do main), and all at different tables.  It is now part of the first day routine to spend time sorting the dining bookings.  Always check your table allocation on your key card at the time of checking in, don't wait till dinner time!