Check your passport

amajaa

I know this has been discussed before but just a quick reminder to everyone if you had extra months added to your passport when you renewed it, they will no longer count for journeys to Schengen Countries. Here is a link to the Government Passport Website to check.

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-travel-europe-1-january-2021?utm_campaign=transition_p2&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=seg&utm_content=__act77&gclid=CKLJ1dKM-O0CFQR7GwodFtMDQw

So my passport is saying it runs out in June 2022 but because I renewed it in September 2011 and had the extra months added it now runs out in September 2021. As you have to have at least 6 months before you travel I need to renew this March. ( fingers crossed for our cruise later this year, roll on the vaccines 💉😷

• Like 2

I renewed mine in December when I was feeling optimistic about cruising this year but I am feeling doubtful about cruising at all this year.  If we do cruise I think it will be late in the year, maybe a Christmas Markets cruise.  We are waiting to see if Princess extend their pause before mid-February when our balance is due because we will not be going but would prefer not to lose the deposit even though it was only £50 each.

MIne is a pain.  I have two cruises booked for next year. (I live in hope).  First is in July second October.  My passport date for being accepted in Europe is August.  Therefore OK for first cruise not for second but don't think I can leave it up to Passport Office to turn it around.   I know that normally they are quick but in the process of doing another family members at the moment.  Online application on 16th December, old passport posted 16th December.  Passport Office got it 29th December. New one on its way.   Think I will renew after everything opens up again in January.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on this. I shall have to renew in the next couple of months as we are off to Spain in September and taking the "must have 6 months left to run" rule into account my EU date is now July this year. Hey ho off to the post office this week and see if our local PO can renew or if I have to go into Bristol which will have to wait until I have been vaccinated!!

Isn't life just loads of fun!!!

Peter

The easiest way to renew your passport is to do it online. The basic fee is £75.50. Much better than queuing at a post office.

The “check and send” option run by the post office costs an extra £16 plus the cost of a photo.

Brian

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I shall have to renew in the next couple of months as we are off to Spain in September and taking the "must have 6 months left to run" rule into account my EU date is now July this year. Hey ho off to the post office this week and see if our local PO can renew or if I have to go into Bristol which will have to wait until I have been vaccinated!!

Peter

Perhaps I'm  missing something, but you can renew your passport on line. 

1 hour ago, Zombatar said:

Peter

I did mine online.  It was very easy to do, I got OH to take my photo then filled in the online application, posted my old passport off.  It took less than 2 weeks for my new one to arrive. 

When you upload your photo into the application you can run a check that tells you whether or not your photo will be acceptable so that you can take another photo and upload an acceptable one if necessary.

Edited by Josy1953

10 minutes ago, BrianI said:

The easiest way to renew your passport is to do it online. The basic fee is £75.50. Much better than queuing at a post office.

The “check and send” option run by the post office costs an extra £16 plus the cost of a photo.

Brian

I think that the price is over £80 if you do it at the PO, when I sent my old one off the lady in the PO advised me to send it "to be signed for on delivery" which was £2.70

Edited by Josy1953

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

I think that the price is over £80 if you do it at the PO, when I sent my old one of the lady in the PO advised me to send it "to be signed for on delivery" which was £2.70

As I stated it is £75.50 + £16 so £91.50 in total plus the cost of a photo unless you take your own

https://www.gov.uk/how-the-post-office-check-and-send-service-works

Brian

Personally I find the post office £16 not worth the money at all.  It doesn't get there quicker, if anything because its not online its slower.  They don't guarantee to get the form right and do make mistakes.  They try and upsell you on postage all the time.  Signed for is currently worthless as things are not even being signed for.  Cheaper just to ask for a certificate of posting.

10 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Personally I find the post office £16 not worth the money at all.  It doesn't get there quicker, if anything because its not online its slower.  They don't guarantee to get the form right and do make mistakes.  They try and upsell you on postage all the time.  Signed for is currently worthless as things are not even being signed for.  Cheaper just to ask for a certificate of posting.

A few years back a friend of mine used the post office service for his kids passports.  And yep, the post office made mistakes delaying the forms.  He complained to the post office about their poor service,  Can't remember whether or not he got his money back though.

Renewed my passport through a Post office that did Digital renewal. Very Easy . The whole process back in August took 10 days from Post Office to receiving a New British Passport. Thought the extra Cost of £16 extremely good as it included  the photo and cost of returning my old passport. Able to track whole process on line,

Edited by LifeonMars

12 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Renewed my passport through a Post office that did Digital renewal. Very Easy . The whole process back in August took 10 days from Post Office to receiving a New British Passport. Thought the extra Cost of £16 extremely good as it included  the photo and cost of returning my old passport. Able to track whole process on line,

Glad you got it all sorted. All you need now is somewhere to go!

• Haha 1