Taking grandchildren on a cruise

versuco

I've tried searching the Carnival website without any success.  What documentation, if any is required to bring grandkids on a Carnival cruise without their parents?

I know they will need their passports, but do we need anything from the parents giving us permission to take the grands?

thanks

Technically--no. However when we took our grandchildren we had our son and DIL sign and notarize a paper. This proved their having allowed us to take the kids on the cruise and most importantly gave us the right to seek medical attention for them if needed. Thank goodness we didn't need it---but if an overly protective agent in Mexico (or anywhere else) questioned our right to travel with them we had the proof. There are many examples on line---but here is what we used.

child permission.jpg

Edited by chocolate melting cake
  • Like 2

Thanks!  That is exactly what I was looking for.  I did not know if Carnival also required some documentation other than their passports.  The cruise is not until June, 2022, so have lots of time to figure things out.

Actually, it's not Carnival who requires a notarized authorization from the parents, it would be US Customs when returning from the cruise.  They may or may not ask for it, but it could save you a delay for extended questioning by Customs/Border Control agents if you don't have one.

The heightened awareness about child trafficking by Customs is the main reason to have written, notarized, parental permission.  Carnival mainly cares if the kids cruise fare was paid and their boarding pass is legit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Actually, it's not Carnival who requires a notarized authorization from the parents, it would be US Customs when returning from the cruise.  They may or may not ask for it, but it could save you a delay for extended questioning by Customs/Border Control agents if you don't have one.

The heightened awareness about child trafficking by Customs is the main reason to have written, notarized, parental permission.  Carnival mainly cares if the kids cruise fare was paid and their boarding pass is legit.

I would like to echo what evandbob said... I am a divorced father and when I traveled alone with my kids, Carnival didn't require a letter from their mother that I had permission to sail with them.  But when I was going through US Customs after debarkation, the US Customs/Border Control agent asked for the letter. 

I had obtained the letter only because I looked at the US Customs/Border Patrol website https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/your-trip which says among other things when travelling with children to Canada or Mexico... 

Unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the child must have a notarized letter from the other parent or signed by both parents stating, "I acknowledge that my son/daughter is traveling outside the country with [the name of the adult] with my permission."

I am assuming that the cruise is to Mexico or Canada.  If it is somewhere else, other rules may apply.

But I would suggest you check with the state department or with the US customs/border patrol websites, as well as Carnival.  And I would recheck again closer to the date of travel, as the rules are subject to change.  I am a frequent traveler to Mexico, and over the years the rules have changed as to what is required.  

Do not rely solely on Carnival Cruise Lines.  When I traveled, the Carnival website merely recommended that I have such a letter, they didn't require it, and no one from Carnival asked to see the letter before allowing me to board the vessel with my kids.

I would have likely faced a long delay at the cruise terminal had I not had the letter.  

• Thanks 1